Archive through March 28, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris B.
Did ya forget about those pretty sponsor buttons at the top of every page?
drool.gif

Greg L, Charlie,
I could say to RTFM.... but I won't
lol.gif
, the "correct distance" for the cooling fan from the rag joint or flexible coupling is 1-1/8" forward of the coupling, and that is found in the Service Manual GSS-1464 for the models 86 thru 1650. In the March 1975 edition it is on page 2-40, in the edition of Sep 1979 with Revision 2, it is on page 2-39B.

Paul B.
See there, I told ya I've never heard or read of a correct measurement.
And yes, I probably should
rtfm2.gif
one of these days.
clappy.gif

OK, my manuals are in the garage and I'm sittin' in my recliner (in my robe), so I'll risk asking another question that's probably answered somewhere in the documentation: Neither my 1250 nor my IH 782 have the bottom shield (#2 and #8 in the pics below). What is the purpose of these shields, and am I the only one not using them?

127435.gif

127436.gif

Carl M. Sr. Charlie is just kidding. He has way too many Cub Cadets already. (Just kidding, Charlie.)
happy.gif
Good catch and Thank You for rescuing another Cub Cadet. There are many very knowledgeable people here that can walk you through literally any problem that you'll have with that 1650.

Greg,
My 782 has the screen that you mention. The hydro charge pump cooling fan pulls cut grass up and plugs the frame and hydro which reduces cooling. With this screen you can wipe off the grass after mowing.

Greg.
1. Acts as a clutch or front driveshaft coupling shield, depending on the tractor model, and helps keep the grass cuttings and other debris out of engine cooling air intake (blower/flywheel housing)

2. It's possible......but I doubt it.

Greg-

My 128 has the clutch shield, and I think it's probably a good idea for tilling. None of the 5 or 6 82 series tractors I have owned had an intact screen. I've been tempted to make a pattern, find some material, and make a few.

Marlin, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I'll be asking for help before I'm done. The experience and knowledge you guys have is amazing. (not brown nosing, I have a little bit of Ken Weaver's attitude, if I didn't believe this I would say so) As I find more cubs I'll probably have to start culling some of my off topic tractors, (no green ones) my wife says a dozen is enough, we will see.

Bruce, thanks for the info on how to clean up the K. I think that is a much better idea than blasting.
I have to take the block to my grandads and use his bigger harmonic balancer puller to get the fly wheel off. The puller I have is just too small and really only made for even smaller engines.
I also drained all the fluids out of the rear end yesterday....what an awful smell!! Everything looked really good with the exception of the internal brakes. The brake lever doesnt seem to want to move more than less than 1/8". I dont have the pdf file on it either, but will keep looking for it here and another site.
I'm still waiting on the sandblaster and havent started painting anything. I was thinking of using a paint remover that I used to use on cars, works really well and smells worse than the old hy-tran!

Doug Wilkinson,

I was a little incorrect on the information about the blade shrouds.
blush.gif
On my 44A and my neighbor's Box Store <font color="119911">John D**r*</font>}, the shrouds extend to an elevation about 1/2" below the cutting edge of the blades. They are about 1/4" from the blade tip.

They are on the rear of the deck. You would want maximum vacuum and lift at the front of the deck where the cutting is done. So, I guess, the purpose of the shrouds is to contain the cut grass above the blades until it moves around to the front of the blades where it enters the discharge path.
dunno.gif

Ken Freeman: Shroud info noted. Thanks for measuring an actual mower and advising accordingly.

Charlie,

The weather guessers were right for the first time all winter down here. We woke up to 3-5" of heavy wet snow this morning. It is mostly gone now but I wish it would quit.

John U.,
At least the weather guessers were right for you. The 8-12" they were calling for me turned into about 3". I didn't even bother getting the equipment out because most of it was melted when I got back home earlier tonight. But that is OK because now I do not have to rake the gravel out of the yard again.

John/Charlie,
Yup has 7" here in N/E Illinois, but that didn't stop me from from crossing the Cheddar Curtain to attend a IH auction. Lots-o-Old stuff and fixer uppers

your_image.gif

\

Charlie- Ya gotta remember that March came in like a lamb so it is gonna leave like a lion.

Got things some what ready for plow day yesterday, took the time to check the lights on the trailer I plan on using, and I'm glad that I did cuz there where some broken wires that needed a little TLC and then I started to work on getting the 149 ready for plowing action until I ran into a part that I don't have in my spare parts inventory. Wished ya where still at your old 'hood so I could have picked up the part today when I was over there.

Latest posts

Back