• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 07, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KRAIG - Where's You get a pan seat that isn't cracked? You should SEE the seat I'm going to use on the 70 for a while....
thumbsdown.gif

I'm thinking of getting a set of narrow (4.00x8)tri-rib tires for my 71. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding brand? Thanks.

Interesting observation on my end. After using the same belt on the thrower for the last 4 years, it finally gave up.
So I go get me another IH belt off the rack only it's a cogged belt, I figure why not.
WRONG!
No matter how much you adjust, or how tight I get it, that sucker still slips under a load. Anyone ever dealt with that type of belt on a thrower?
I'm used to making that 14 bark and not hearing a freakin belt squeal!

I am trying rebuild/convert an old Montgomery Wards plow to sleeve hitch attachment.

Does anyone have any Ideas for what to use for the pitch adjuster? as you can see I could not put the pitch adjuster in the back where it normally is.

52961.jpg

52962.jpg

Jason H.
I don't mean to a spoil sport here, but what didn't you like about all the answers Meo gave you over on the Registry? Just curious.

Denny, who said it wasn't cracked? It was lightly cracked but has been repaired.

I just spent around $300 on Kohler parts and that was with my brother's employee discount. That includes a forged Alcoa connecting rod. I spent another $58 for a used K321 crankshaft. I'm not sure what the machining costs are yet or David's fee's for my K301 Killer Kohler™ rebuild but I'm sure it'll be worth every penny. It's not done yet and I'm already thinking about aksing him to rebuild a K241 that I have or one of my other K301 engines. I may have to get a second job to support my new illness.....
happy.gif

Dennis F.,

I hear ya and I agree - if I'm going to put the effort & time into it, I'd rather not cut corners to just save a few $$ and end up with a half-a$$ed job that is so-so in performance.

Yes, a new gasket kit and ignition kit. I'll test my current coil, it may also need a new coil.

As of now, I'm planning to expect doing an overbore to the block, which will require an oversize piston and ring set. I also plan to replace the OEM connecting rod and the exhaust valve. The valve job, guides and replacement of the intake valve will be determined by the machine shop.

Now Matt D. mentioned he uses a "STENS MASTER ENGINE REBUILD KIT" with success. However, I don't know what connecting rod is supplied with those kits. I see where Brian Miller offers 3 connecting rods for the 12HP Kohler; a used #47-067-09 rod, a used #-22 rod and a new #-22 rod.

Do you have any thoughts/experience as to what rod comes in the STENS kits?

Maybe I'd be better served by piecing a REBUILD KIT together thru my machine shop guy or ?
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

P.S.
Now if I get a wild hair, sell something or my budget gets some windfall, I'd also like to get the head milled maybe ~0.040" to bring the compression up just a tad. I'd like to step up to an 18HP cam as well, but at ~$100 a pop, I'm thinking,,,eh,,mmm,,, probably not.
whistling.gif

Hey Charlie,

I'm guessing you checked this already, but is it possible the pulleys/belt are glazed?

Charlie, I have one of those cogged belts I've been using it since 1992 when I got the Cub from my parents. I don't have any problems with it squealing. I'm not sure how old the belt is but it is possible, but not very probable, that it is the original belt from 1969 when they bought the 125, QA42 and 42" mower deck brand new. In any case it's an OLD belt! I have a second one that came with the Sweepster Rotary Broom. Both are P/N 487043-R1. The older one is on the bottom in this photo and is the one in the second photo:

52964.jpg

52965.jpg

RYAN - I'm using Brian's GOOD forged rod w/inserts offset machined, and the K361 cam & new cam followers in My K321. Stock +.010" Kohler piston & rings. My piston alone was over $100.
I used STENS parts in a K181 I rebuilt about 1-1/2 to 2 yrs ago. They're good parts for the $$$. Not sure where they get their parts from but I bet if You put a Kohler & Stens rod on a bench You couldn't tell them apart. The intake valve & guide should be fine in Your engine. They seldom give problems.

Latest posts

Back