• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 01, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Dave S.

Look at the switch position chart in the wiring diagram and on the NAPA switch, if the switch positions & functions match you are in business.

OIL:

Any 30wt oil rated to the current standards will work fine without the MMO. I like to break them in at moderate load for the 1st hour or so, then moderately heavy loading (occasionally getting into the governor) for the next 10+ hours. Don't baby it, as you need to load it to fully seat the rings. Get it back together, mow the yard with it once or twice, then take it to a plow day and really put it to work, then come home and change the oil.

Thanks Steve and all. That's how I broke in the last 321 I did a year ago, and it's my main thrower tractor this winter. Tough to find any grass to mow around here today though!!

I'm putting this one back together w/a CI pan so I can use a mag heater next winter. Going to try my luck at fabbing up an angle blade setup to utilize the front hydraulics on this one.

Hyd. Angle blades are the cat's backside!!!! You won't regret any effort you put into that project! Sitting on the seat the whole time you move snow is much better than the hop off and angle show......and you will find you can "finesse" your plowing techniques, angling on the go for better snow control and less spillover.

How much belt deflection should I leave in my belt for the snow thrower. This is the qa42 that's on the wife's 782. Those belts are so short I don't want to tear up any more.

Brian B.
Although the manuals say nothing about deflection, they do say to tighten the belt until all the slack is out of it and crank the tension screw another 3 1/2 turns, which I take it to be fiddle string tight, LOL
I've always push on it and tired to get less than 1/4". But that's just me.
I'm gonna miss that machine!
That sucker would start every time on the 3rd revolution at 35 below!
284178.jpg

I kind of thought it might be like that but wasn't sure. I changed the belt size which cleared up one of my other problems and have double checked my alignment so will see what happens.

Thanks Charlie.

Brian B.
IMHO, it's always best to get a GOOD cogged belt for throwers, Better grip and they seem to last forever.
I had the same belt on the 149 for 7 years.

The belt on my QA42 is well over 20 years old. I tighten it as tight as it will go. The last thing I want is to have the belt slip.

Charlie, I always associate a 1450 with you.
sad.gif
You need to get another one.
happy.gif

... we'll, maybe not the last thing. Lots of worse things could happen then the belt slipping.
icon_eek.gif

Charlie, I thought that was your 1450, I just realized it isn't. Still, I always associate you with a 1450.

82 Series 5/8" belts seem to be more forgiving than the earlier narrow ones. I certainly have pushed mine to the limit this season!!!

Kraig,
I hear ya, I'm partial to the 1450, especially my old standby. That's be the best $250.00 I ever spent! And Nick G. delivered it free.
284180.jpg

284181.jpg

You don't think the neighbors will mind if I do a little early AM snow removal, do ya?
err.gif

Put the new belt on last night and adjusted accordingly. All I could get on a Saturday afternoon was a cheap maxpower belt from farm and ranch but it seemed to do fine with no annoying rubber smell like the other ones that I destroyed
bash.gif
. Looks like the magic size is 36" or an over all inside measurement of roughly 27 1/2" on the belt gauge.

Charlie-

I'll check into one of those belts you were talking about. Probably should have a spare hanging around just for backup with the way the snow has been lately.

284198.jpg

284199.jpg

284200.jpg

On my Kohler K301 re-rebuild that the PO screwd up.
I noted a lack of a camshaft shim(s). Where is a goog source for some .005 / .010 shims.
Or best to make my own?

Rick, I have some extras that we just took out of a junk engine yesterday plus the ones that were in my 321 originally. NAPA re shimmed the cam in it.

Why? you may ask was I dismantling a junk block yesterday???
Well, I screwed up and mustta left the governor thrust washer in the 321 when it went to NAPA 6 weeks ago and it is probably in the bottom of their hot tank now!! Sure glad I had that block laying around even if it does mean one less green thing sucking air!!

RICK - A really good hardware store might have something usable, 1/2" ID x 7/8 to 1" OD. Or a place like Motion Industries, or a local power transmission supply shop. Maybe even a local small engine repair shop.

I have made my own from brass shim stock. The grenade gear shims are the same size as the cam shims too.

I bet that guy REALLY hosed up the crankshaft end play too! That's more important IMO than the cam play.

Dennis/Dave.
Good guess.....only a lonely gasket on the flywheel side plate.
Crankshaft end play was not checked.
Camshaft is toast. Lobes are worn to a point.
Gov. gear shot. (full of grit which ate the plastic bore.

Headgasket blown x 2 places. Head was not flat.
It should be revived by next week. I think this has become a personal challenge to see it run again.

RICK - If you haven't already, make sure the rings on the piston are installed correctly and gapped properly, and that the rod is installed properly, with the oil hole towards the camshaft.

You'll get it running right! If it tried to run as assembled, it will run good when you're done with it.

Brian,, nothing like the sound of a 12 horse cub in the morning

Dennis - I'm confused on the rod oil hole. Not real sharp with these things so wanna make sure I'm getting them back together right. I know the marks on the rod and cap are supposed to line up and face the bearing plate but that about the extent of my knowledge. Thanks

Latest posts

Back