• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 19, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbodin

displayname
Nate Bodin
Gary-
I believe the kohlers run at 3600rpm. The clutch pulley is 4" and the blower pulley is 4". (1-1). So cut it in half=
1800 rpm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm putting my newly assembled drive clutch and shaft back in my 128. I've tighten the clutch adjustment rod to get the .050" clearance between the lever and throw out bearing. I'm not quite there yet and It appears I've bottomed the nut down on the adjustment rod. The rod is almost touching clutch disk probably as close as 1/8".

Is this normal?

Thad--Nice 123 find. I can imagine that it is much more difficult to find Cubs out there in the "high country" than it is here in the agriculturally rich low lands of the mid west. While on vacation to the Black Hills last week a deal passed me up because I wasn't there to capitalize on it. SO--curious about your new 123...I always enjoy hearing the stories of how you guys get your machines...

popcorn2.gif

Attachments

• popcorn2.gif
    popcorn2.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 129
Regarding the 82 Series, I appreciate the comments of Steve B. and Matt G. I wasn't aware of how the frame had been beefed up for the 82 Series.

Harry, the M18 should "drop in" physically, but be sure to include the spacers under it that keep the drive train in alignment, as Matt G. has detailed in the past.

The only other thing is that the "ignition" circuit is not needed for the Magnum engine, one only has to turn it over to start it. The "Battery-Type" key serves to ground the magneto and thus kill the engine when it is placed in the "Off" position. It is actually easier to retain the "Ignition-Type" key and use the "Ignition" contact on the switch to energize a 2-pole relay that has a Normally Closed contact. Run a ground to the Common terminal, and wire the magneto to the Normally Closed contact so that when the key is off (and the relay is de-energized), the magneto is grounded. All the wiring details have been discussed and diagrammed before on this Forum. It is not difficult to do (in my opinion).

I like Steve's advice, tell your son to buy a spare engine as insurance that his current one won't fail.
smile.gif

Finally, I leave you with what the previous owner of my 782 told me of how his Series I failed. He said there was no warning, it just went, "Tick, tick, boom." He vowed and declared that it was full of oil and well-maintained. I can't verify or discount his statements: I simply re-iterate them.

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    215 bytes · Views: 137
Thad B. I agree with Joshua Sterz on your 123 find. And like Josh, I like to hear the stories about someone finding their Cub Cadets.

Heat wave into effect from this morning until Friday 7:00 p.m. Looks like I won't be spending any time outside after work.

The 682 that my ex and I had was a Series 1 engine. Worked great until one spring day she was mowing one of the same hill sides we had mowed for about four years. She heard some rattling and quickly drove the 682 back to garage and when I got home told me of the sound. No holes but as with the rest of that Series engine... the engine was toast.

Charlie-

"NOS" <font size="+2">Threads</font>

Did you find a "New" Forum Category?

Shotgun.gif

LoL

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Shotgun.gif
    Shotgun.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 133
307056.jpg

307057.jpg

Working on Ammonia Refrigeration Piping Roof Top, gonna be BAKING in Hot Sun 8hrs a day for the next few weeks. As temperature Under my hard hat increases I can already feel the onset of a Serious disturbance in my mental abilities combined with a reduced awareness of my surroundings that will ultimately result in confused thinking and forum postings!!!!

So within the next couple of weeks, if my post seem a little
Shotgun.gif

Please Forgive Me,,,

But <font size="+2">Anyway</font>, I was wondering if anyone would care to elaborate on the differences in the Later IH Models and the transition to MTD as far as Parts, Tooling for parts, Motors, Design, "Rear Ends" and/or if anything at all carried over from IH to the MTD/CCC cub cadets?
I'm aware this has probably be discussed many times before I'm just not coming up with much info just little bits and pieces here and there.....

Thanks!!!

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Shotgun.gif
    Shotgun.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 307057.jpg
    307057.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 307056.jpg
    307056.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 307057.jpg
    307057.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 307056.jpg
    307056.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 142
Well I guess the recent talks on here concerning the 82's peeked my Curiosity. So doing a little digging around and looking at Parts and part#'s and so forth on some of these:

382 IH 79-81
382 MTD 81-84

580 IH 79-85
580 MTD 82-84
580 Special 82-85

680 MTD 82-84
682 IH 79-85
1282 MTD 82-85

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of the IH End Line and how the Transition went as far as IH and MTD engineering Departments. Apparently they were "In Bed Together" for a few years during the Early 80's. Maybe not, I'm gonna do a little more scratching around over next few weeks probably just to get a good understanding how it all went down. Just one of those things you get curious about I guess.
thumbsup.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 126
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 137
its a long story but start with these threads, they are good reads, go to the sandbox and find

Corporate Tragedy

Dennys ramblings

Base of operations

But the best thing is to find this book and buy, money well spent

http://cubfaq.com/hank.html

Jason I can tell you like pictures so here is what's in my messy /packed cub/IH barn

2 running IH cubs, 1 running MTD cub, 2 non running but mostly complete IH cubs, and 1 IH cub carcass, and a non running IH push mower. And my
ihrotate.gif

307062.jpg

307063.jpg

307064.jpg

Attachments

• 307064.jpg
    307064.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 307063.jpg
    307063.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 307062.jpg
    307062.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 129
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 307064.jpg
    307064.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 307062.jpg
    307062.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 307063.jpg
    307063.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 128
I just finished another 149 refurb bumper to bumper and installed a 48" deck. When I lift the deck the left side doesn't lift so I'm assuming I have a broken roll pin on the left side lift arm.

Does this sound right? If it is just a pin I can't wait to get out there and fight that sucker in this wonderful July heat.

I have the same problem on a 129 with hydraulic lift and that happened when the deck got stuck on a tree root. Instead of moving first I just pulled the lever. I don't think there would have been a problem if I had manual lift at the time. If this is the case then I've stumbled across one drawback with hydraulic lift. At my age though hydraulics are getting to be a must.

The 149 runs like new so it was a small disappointment not to be able to get a complete lift. The only problem with the refurb was dealing with the wear button on the pto. The first one broke immediately so a little JB Weld was added to the second. So far so good.

Wayne, sounds like your right on with a broken pin. If it makes you feel better our real feel tomorrow is 115f

It amazes me to think that you would need a 4 page manual to install a float lockout, LOL
307069.jpg

Attachments

• 307069.jpg
    307069.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 307069.jpg
    307069.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 130
Jason Wiggins: Another fruitful search might by on the name Myron Bounds. He seems to know just about all there is to know about the specifics of the transition from IH to MTD. However, I will take the liberty of sharing something I learned first from him (and I'm sure I'm not doing him justice), that there was a brief period when MTD first bought the brand that they gave the folks at Cub Cadet near complete freedom to develop the line as they saw fit. The units were actually labeled CCC for "Cub Cadet Corporation" with a unique logo and everything. (These units are relatively rare and coveted by certain collectors, I would love to have one with the CCC logo myself.) Many of the parts in the supply chain were retained and used, but the IH logos disappeared from the units. (My 782 had a place in the grille from the "IH" but it was not installed, the same story was told by another forum member (Paul Bell?) concerning a 1282 he acquired.

Anyway . . . as CCC developed the line they incorporated several good ideas from Engineering that hadn't been cleared by the old IH Sales Dept (if I have this right), including, but not limited to, an aluminum housed differential (there was a serial number break), which while not employing a cast iron housing, had stronger straight-cut gears. I think Matt Gonitzke posted about installing one in another or some such.

The so-called "Cyclops" tractors combined a lot of good engineering features and their parts can often (but not always) be transferred to genuine IH units. It is just when they went to the plastic hoods that most of the "true believers" draw the line.

I've tried to give you an intuitive, off-the-cuff "skinny" on the transition from IH to full-fledged MTD corporate member. As Myron pointed out to me, the same factory produced IH and CCC machines. There are several members currently posting who could (and have) cite differences down to the tiniest details.

On another topic: we use ammonia as refrigerant at our plant, every safety meeting begins with asking which way the wind is blowing and what we would do in the event of an ammonia leak. (For those who don't know, ammonia is a very efficient refrigerant, but very poisonous to humans, one good whiff and you're out cold, I'm told.)

Jeremiah C -

As I've Stated before The Combined Knowledge of the IHCUBCADET members well Exceeds Hundreds of years of IH Cadet Experience, Experiences, Know How, History, and Anything and Everything IH Cadet Related. I'm about 4 Months In, as far as experience goes, at this Point. LoL
It Truly Amazes Me the Wealth of Information On this Forum. ALSO that this information Show's up on internet searches for Countless People Around the WORLD who are NOT Members Here!!!!!!
During my Research before purchase of 149 IHCUBCADET Always Turned up in my search queries!!!! I happened across several Cub Cadet Garden Tractor forums before I Registered here and I feel the reason I chose this one is because of some rude comments and postings on other sites, plus the specific info I needed always seemed to be Here!

But Anyway THANK You for the Response concerning the End of The IH Line!
VERY INFORMATIVE Big oLe Green Thumbs UP!!!!!

Oh Yeah Also I did see back in the archives I believe it was Charlie or maybe Hydro posted a "LINK" concerning the ammonia or "anhydrous ammonia" that took the life of a State Patrol officer responding to a road side accident! I will not -repost- that link it was really sad. In general Safety is often overlooked myself included. Pinch points Scare the Heck out of ME! Even working on and around Garden Tractors safety is Mentioned Numerous Times in the Service Manuals. Heck my 149-Trailer Accident could have been Fatal........

Thanks Again,,,,,

---------------------------------------------------------

Wayne S -

This is the "LEFT" Side of My 149 Sub Frame/Assembly to Mule Drive Connection.

307086.jpg

I'm Not 100% sure if this is what you & Jeff are Referring too, but Looks Like During my Refurb I "Apparently" opted for Cotter pin instead of Roll Pin connection for Subframe/Mule Drive....
I'm Not sure if this is Correct or if I might have trouble down the road but Been Mowing about 4 Months w/ this Setup, So Far So Good!

---------------------------------------------------

Jeff B -

<font size="+2">YES</font> ,,,, A Picture is worth a Thousand Words!!!!!
Or so the Saying Goes!

An "IH Barn" VERY NICE!!!! I'm Lovin that 400, just like Nate B's Wheatland 1206. My lot is Fairly Small and I wouldn't have much use for your 400 or Nate's Big 1206 but for some strange reason I WANT ONE!!!!!

Also thanks for the Info, I'll be checking those postings out Definitely!!!!

Thanks Again!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah and Also,

Thad B -

I Think Kraig is working on his grain silo so I figured I'd do the Honors!

<font size="+2">1967 123</font>

307087.jpg

307088.jpg

307089.jpg

Very Nice Thad,

greenthumb.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• 307088.jpg
    307088.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 307089.jpg
    307089.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 129
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 307087.jpg
    307087.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 128
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 307086.jpg
    307086.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 307089.jpg
    307089.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 307086.jpg
    307086.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 307087.jpg
    307087.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 307088.jpg
    307088.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 136
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 125
Jason, I did clean up Thad's links so they worked properly and looked better.
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 115
I remember the old Web address Links,,,

I didn't know you Made the Changes, I was in No Way whatsoever trying to "Challenge" your Abilities or Authority!

I Would NEVER, I hope it didn't come across like That?

If so,,, My Deepest Sincerest Apologies!!!!

worthy.gif
worthy.gif
worthy.gif
worthy.gif

Attachments

• worthy.gif
    worthy.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 128
  • worthy.gif
    worthy.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 129
  • worthy.gif
    worthy.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 122
  • worthy.gif
    worthy.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 129
Jason W, I can't agree with you more, about the Greatness of this site! I really enjoy the folks here tremendously! I can read with enjoyment about Series that I don't even have, and hope to some day reflect and discover those topics of long ago in hopes of owning one of them all. Hey, you and me have to try to pass this stuff on to the next IHCUBCADET enthusiasts, you know!

Thad, wow! That's a nice 123! I see a lot of potential in that Garden tractor, make the best of it!!!!

Charlie, I'd love to stumble across both the float pin and that instruction manual! Most manuals today, for newer stuff in general, are a lot less informative.

Hello,
I recently got a M59 shredder and was looking through the owners manual and didn't see a parts breakdown. A search on cub cadet didn't come up with anything for a breakdown. I am wanting the belts number or the belt lenghs. I have it on a 1450.

Latest posts

Back