• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 26, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalle

displayname
Al Valle
Hello folks .new guy here
happy.gif
I'm working on my 77 cubby 1450 . I think it's riddled with normal issues ,steering play ,hydrualic leak and front end play. So I won't ask any boring questions .lol my main issues are how to refill with hydraulic fluid and what to do about front axle pivot pin play/bushing info.thanks and Ilook forward to your tutelage .

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 112
Jeff, were you trying to post this photo?

301826.jpg

That is Kelly Birkey and his custom 4x4 articulated Cub Cadet.

Attachments

• 301826.jpg
    301826.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 301826.jpg
    301826.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 118
Al V., WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Attachments

• groupwave.gif
    groupwave.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 126
  • WELCOME.gif
    WELCOME.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 115
Ok that is impressive !very cool. Thanks to all for the welcome.just a little info .my1450 runs great, has a 54in deck that I just removed to service .I plan to to replace spindle bushinges ,wheel bearings etc .as my first major repair lol. It take days to turn

Kraig yes that was it but I know I saw a picture on here one time of a NF with front fenders.

Welcome Al

Ok ,maybe I do have a stupid question .lol I didn't see a res. For the hydraulics .I assumed it had one,just xcouldnt find it lol

Al the resivore for the hydraulics is the rear differential.,, not a stupid question

This is a 147. Does that look like a Quietline tank on it?
301829.jpg
Jeff-I can type faster than you
happy.gif

Attachments

• 301829.jpg
    301829.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 126
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 115
  • 301829.jpg
    301829.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 115
doug, lol I just thought the same thing

I don't think that is a QL tank

Ahhh got it . No mine is a bit different than the photo . Forgive me this is my first cub.I am an automotive techServ.manager ,or at least I was so this is a whole new animal to me .lol I need to change different fluid anyway and filter so that should solve my low fluid issue lol

Al-To drain it you have to pull the cover. It uses Hy-Tran fluid which absorbs water. You may find a lot of sludge it the bottom. That is normal. Clean it out good, new gasket on the cover, new filter, fill it up and you should be good to go. Takes 14 pts. Of fluid.
Jeff- Maybe it looks funny because it's black.

Ok thank you . Good to know . I do have a plastic tank,there is a plate on mine I'm guessing it's covering exhaust manifold and maybe that relay shown in photo ?I dunno haven't taken the cover off .lol I haven't done an thing to it. Now it needs some TLC.

Here is an unusual tip for filling/refilling the transmission on a Cub.

I had a leaky dump valve (which has been replaced) and the typical cork gasket leak, so I needed to "top off" more than usual. I bought a larger container of fluid (a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon) and they are HEAVY!!! I looked for a solution, and lo-and-behold I found one. Hanging on the wall of the garage was an unused Kerosene pump (the manual one with a "bulb", haven't tried a 'letric one). Put the business end in the container, and the other in the fill hole and started to pump. I had to keep pumping, as the container was sitting on the floor and it didn't get the siphon going.... Works out really well, and a bit easier to control...... After this discovery, the only thing I use a funnel for is the engine oil........

Sweet I have one of those (somewhere )lol..here's a tip for cork gaskets .a light skim of (Red)hi temp silicone on both sides let dry then install gaskets .or Indian head gasket varnish . (Comes in a brown bottle ) brush it on both sides let dry .it will slow down the "seepege"considerably. Old ford's used to have the same problem on valve covers .thanks for the tip hope this one helps as well.

Al V - hey welcome to the best Cub Cadet Forum you'll find. 1450 is a favorite model of mine and first CC I ever had.

I think that plate you mention is the top cover of the muffler box. You won't find a "relay" (I think you mean the Voltage Regulator" on that 147) under that plate/cover.

And on that "infamous cork gasket" - It used to be a $3 gasket that took about 3 hours to replace. Now it's a $6 gasket made of new materials and comes coated with sticky surface on one side. Still takes about 3 hours to replace and why a lot of guys have just left their units as is, and marking their spots.

I think the FAQ section at this heading of this page, and then Charlie's FAQ that is linked on that FAQ page, will be your best friend with all the details about replacing the gasket (and a lot more details for anything else you might want/need to do). There's a lot of controversy about using any gasket sealer around the Hydrostatic pump. If you get the new sticky gasket you won't need to use any.

Latest posts

Back