Archive through January 11, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Harry Bursell
I got what I asked for I think. I see he does sell 6 volt points savers now .I think I will pull the switch to see if it works as it should, It is a new switch ;but that don`t mean it will test good. I should have checked it.I guess I will have to test some parts on a running charging cub to get to the problem I have .
angel.gif

I'm a Cub Cadet Forum ADDICT I gotta read every link every day even though I only have one cub and nothing needs fixed . I'm ready if something does break....

I sit on the couch watching tv and hit the refresh button every 5 min. to make sure I don't miss anything.

Bill James - who you trying to kid? They would have needed a S/G mount on the other side of the Kohler engine and the carb/oil bath air cleaner reversed as well - Ain't no way, that would be a different engine design to do that. And the flywheel shroud is still toward the rear of the tractor so it has to be a reverse negative. And another thing - that assemblers rachett and socket is laying on the center frame section in front below the gear shift. It's laying there in the exact same spot but facing the opposite direction in the 2nd pic - JUST AIN'T NO WAY those are Lefty units.

Don T - hey I was just joking about the points savers. They are the same for all the single cylinder Kohlers. I sure hope ya ain't snake bit with that 125 tho.

Keith O - you've obviously got the YELLR 'N WHITE FEVER really bad!!!! I don't know how you can stand it. Waiting till Sat to see if you have a 16hp or 12hp. If it was me I'd have to know RIGHT NOW. And make sure you get a count of your cylinder cooling fins. If you do have the 16hp it could just be one of the rare beefy 13fin blocks. I'm out here on Pacific Coast Time so I'll be looking for your post tonite in about an hour.

Charlie - I might'a initially took the hook, then played with the line, but the sinker never got me.
proud.gif

Keith O - hey it's been a couple hours already. Are there 10 headbolts or 9?

If it is a 16 hp it will have 1-1/4 Pipe threads it is very clear if it has the bigger exhaust elbow.But you have to take the shroud off to see.

Can anyone fill me in on the good/bad/ugly of a 482. Grew up on a 582 but this seems to be a different beast. Any comments on the belt drive?
Thanks

Hello to all I own a 1962 original cub. I’m trying to find were to purchase the clutch friction material only. The parts book just lists the pulley and the is NLA. Thanks Brian
ihrotate.gif

Brian,
Click on one of the boxes on top of this page and any one of them cal get you the friction disc.

Ok Harry, Here are the pics. I see a 16hp but I cannot make out all the numbers on the engine serial no. It looks like 81888 ? C or 0 but someone could have used the same shroud anyway.

252082.jpg

Keith,
Glad to see you ran out to the garage to tear the engine shroud off the good running tractor without any issues to count the head bolts. Hey Kids, hand me another "pop" and turn up the volume on the TV. Now I hope everyone can sleep tonight. :cool:

More HP the more gas you burn; I plan on the 125 to cut my grass . I don`t think I need a 16 hp K to cut grass.I do Have my 1512 diesel for all the real work I do with my tractors. ( and it sips fuel ).
popcorn2.gif

Keith O - geez, that's great!!! No question with 10 head bolts you've got a 16hp in there. From the appearance of the head it looks original to me, as tho it's been untouched. The Serial no. should have 7 digits, and assuming it does since it starts with 81 that would indicate the engine was manufactured in early 1977 (Kohler manual shows serial numbers starting 80-89 as being in 1977 so 81 should be early). That time frame matches the build of your tractor, if I recall the other numbers. So, where does that leave us? I'd still like to see a clear pic of your tractor serial/build tag (the other was blurry). Someone could have certainly dropped a 16hp into a 1250 with hydraulic lift and lights, but for it to be a correct date code engine to match the tractor would be really unusual.
Hey, did you happen to count the cylinder cooling fins??? If it's 13 you have something special!!!!
(under edit) - in your pic of the Kohler serial tag it looks like your engine is really really close to the frame. Might be optical illusion. Suggest you try to pull your engine side to side to see if you have worn out ISO-mounts. Also, you should have the Kohler tag on the side of the shrould below the serial tag, and below the timing site hole. You might need to push the engine towards the right side to see it.

Tom H - you drinking soda pop in the morning?

Latest posts

Back