• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tyler T.
Nope your isn't, but these are.
251939.jpg

251940.jpg

Charlie- I thought they were all fiberglass... Just wasn't positive... Didn't want to Goof up something rare. If you like the wide fenders I will make you a heck of a deal on these. haha. This thing is so ugly I almost had to walk away from the rear PTO...

Has any one seen the real thing? or do you have one of those on the shelf Charlie?

I would think it would need a front weight.

Dennis F - Good thing my Wife/Boss doesn't read your posts. It pretty cool to read your posts with regard to how many hours and years you have put onto a specific model CC. It is impressive! Were my better half read this, I'd be limited to one or two tractors, 'cause those tractors are so durable!

Right now, my collection of yellow and other color tractors should preclude me from ever wearing anyone of them out, including the MTD lawn CC, unless I figure out a way to get a bigger place! I will say there is potential room for a 149 in my fleet if I can find one in the neighborhood for a nice price...

greenthumb.gif

As to my Scout, from what I recall, it was not a fast runner. Infact, I thought my life was in danger on the occasions when I would hit 45 mpg. There was no steering dampener on the Scout and sometimes if you hit a bump just right, the steering would go into a death wobble, the steering knob would fall off and the horn ring would fall onto the hot side of the horn and you'd go down the road - with the horn blowing while you were franticly trying to deal with the steering wobble and regaining control. BTW, if you reached down and knocked the ring off the hot side of the horn button to get the horn to stop blowing, you could plan on receiving a nice IH 12V tingle to the finger that touched it. It happened to my Dad on time and that was the first and last time he drove my otherwise fine Scout.

Should have added this to my earlier post - sorry!

Quick question - anyone use 15W-40 engine oil in their Kohler single cylinder engines? Reason I ask, is I think I found a deal locally on a few gallons.

On a different note, as I type, I am setting on a jet, some 30,000 ft in the air with my "mobile device" and wireless keyboard - surfing and reading the web. FWIW, the IHCC yellow and white colors look pretty good from up here!

Looks like the woodwork might be full of wide flat fenders on 71/1x2/3's. I kinda like them too Charlie. This one will probably become a 2 person tractor show transporter
251949.jpg

251950.jpg

Steve B: You make a valid point about the volume differential in a double acting hydraulic cylinder when you take into account the rod. And in a perfect system you'd find a vent. But in the case of these Cub Cadet units I wonder how much the internal pressure/vacuum changes. By my calculations based on a 1/2 inch diameter rod with 6 inches of effective travel i arrive at a volume of 1.178 cubic inches for the rod. That works out to .65 ounce. Rounded up make it seven tenths of an ounce. Do you think that's critical? It seems like the 1/3 free space in the reservoir could be able to handle the .7 ounce differential and still have room for fluid expansion without forcing fluid out of the seals. Consider, too, these units have been working unvented for about 50 years. For point of reference, my 1958 Farmall 350 with Hydra-Touch is vented. My 1957 Farmall 130 with Touch-Control is not vented. They both work well and don't leak.

Charlie, I know that tractor with the golf cart attachment, the guy on it, We call him Boon! and I'm pretty sure that whole rig is still around.
Shift.gif

CHARLIE - Those fiberglass golf cart conversions were kinda cool. Can't say I've ever seen one in person. I don't think I ever saw a picture of one like the top one with the bodywork up along the engine. Or one with a mower deck mounted like the second one. Looks like there's PLENTY of room to carry a large cooler with plenty of your favorite refreshing beverage for mowing the back yard on warm sunny days.

BILL J. - Summer of '80 I borrowed Dad's #70 to mow my little yard one day in the late summer. Made up my mind I was gong to have my own CC by the following spring. I could have bought several semi dump trailers full of green/yellow tractors but finally found my #72, first CC I saw advertised in the local paper. Think it was the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan '81, so in round numbers I've had it 32 years. The #70 I borrowed from Dad he bought new spring of '65 according to it's serial number. I put a boat-load of hours on it when it was new. It's sitting in my shop slated for a refurbish starting later this morning. It will be a l-o-n-g process. Has to be done by spring so SON can mow with it. I've had my 982 since Labor Day weekend of 2000, so just over 12 yrs. Not sure I'll look for a replacement for the 70 but I might. I doubt I'd get another Super, but anything other than an Original or Q/L is possible.

Far as your question about using 15W-40 diesel oil in a Kohler, I've used Shell Rotella in all my CC's, Kohler & Onan both, since 1996 when I got my PSD. I'd also use Mobil Delvac, or Chevron Delo but I won't switch from one to another just because it's cheaper. I am using Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in the K321 in the 72, and will use it in the K241 I'll put in the 70.

The little bit of engine work I've done to my PSD since I've had it, mainly replacing the glow plugs under the valve covers, the tops of the cylinder heads were spotless after 250,000 miles when I changed them. Both the Super H & '51 M had used a multitude of cheap oils before I got them up here and switched them to Rotella. The M was actually sludged up pretty good, and after two oil/filter changes with Rotella it's really clean inside the engine now too. Rotella's soot control detergents really clean up a dirty engine.

Another really good oil for air-cooled Kohler's and probably Onan's is IH Ashless motor oil in straight 30 weight. It will actually clean the hard carbon deposits off exhaust valve stems which is the reason Kohler engines stick the exh. valves, also can be caused by running too lean on the carb settings. And IH's #1 30 weight or 15W-40 diesel oil would be O-K too.

Dad had a couple old CC's that were smoking on start-up and burning oil. He switched to IH Ashless 30 weight and the smoking stopped and oil use dropped to about 1/4th of what it had been.

I understand there are some changes going on now with the old IH engine oils now that New Holland has taken over and been in control for several years. The old IH engines seem to have a healthy appetite for the new engine oils that they didn't have with the older IH oils so your results may not be the same as what My Dad had. And last I knew, the IH Ashless 30 was maybe going to become NLA.

Bill J.

Critical in this application, NOPE......on a loader with much bigger rod diameters, YES. On these forums "double acting doesn't need a vent" can be taken as gospel by others for all future situations too.....and not always in the same conditions/situations....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

That said, if a machinist wants to add a vent to the system, it certainly won't hurt anything and can only potentially help....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

This is Lance from CA again. Big thanks to David Schwandt for PTO switch info--I put a little PB Blaster and some heat on it and got it freed up!
Bill Jamison--Thanks for the visit offer--don't know if I will be around but ya never know--760 445 9848.
And to Paul Roesller--incredible I live a half mile south of the Pine Hills Lodge which got on the map by being a long time training gym for Jack Dempsey back in the day.
Also can anyone explain to me how to shrink the file size of my photos to less than 100KB's? Using Picasa I could only reduce the pictures to a little over 200KB's. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just plain dumb!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=robertodecolonet&target=ALBUM&id=5831825564768827633&authkey=Gv1sRgCN6yxfSR5JzL7gE&invite=CJicwvsK&feat=email

I was able to create the Picasa link above with 16 pictures of my little cub.
Best Regards,
Lance

Lance,

That free tractor looks to me like it is a Cub Cadet 1650. That is, IMHO, the most sought after Quietline!. From your pictures, it looks like it will take a significant amount of work to get it back to original, but in doing so, you will completely know the tractor.

The PTO switch has the safety lock out on it to prevent accidental engagement when running at high speed. According to the operators manual, one should only engage the PTO when at idle or at a very low engine speed. Lifting the toggle just a bit to get it over the lock is the way it is designed, and for good reason. If that part works, and the PTO engages, it seems to me as if it is working as it should.

There are several here who have a 1650. They are a powerful and a wonderful tractor. Be sure you check your ISO mounts and replace them with the engine cradle modification if they are shot.

Be well.

The only things that should be green and yellow are the FCS repeating National Champion NDSU Bison. GO Bison!

Lance E - hey welcome to the Forum. I see you've already been getting some help. Since I see a 16hp Kohler tag on your engine you probably have a Model 1650. This model was part of the Quiet Line series which was the first series to have the full enclosure side panels. I see the link in the FAQ's for model ID isn't working so we'll have to ask Charlie or Kraig to fix that. To confirm your model the 1st 3 digits on your build tag should be 205 (means its a Cub Cadet) and the next four digits identify the actual model, which in your case should be either 0067, 0070, or 0670 to make it a 1650, which by the way was the top of the line unit in the series. I had a look at your pics and was wondering if you cut that hole for the air cleaner cover. You probably should seal off the hole in the flywheel shroud where that rubber oval tube sticks out if you're gonna stay with the air cleaner you rigged up. Very interesting racing flames/colors. Although the hydro drive has infinitely variable speed the top end is supposed to be 8mph - which I think is plenty fast for a garden tractor on an open road. Not real clear if you have had the engine out yet. You would have discovered the rubber ISO-mounts with the ISO-bar assembly and I wondered what condition that may be in. Sitting for 8 years you just don't know what to expect. I know you got the engine running and it sounds as tho it may be in pretty good shape. Have you actually driven the tractor yet?

Charlie and Kraig - the FAQ No. 10 with the link to the Cub Cadet ID page that says it's maintained by Jonathan Luckey, is broke. Any chance you can provide a new link to the product/model codes?

Lance< I'm in the same boat w/picture sizeing and I usually have to e-mail 'em back to my self and spec 800x600 before sending them. Kind of a PITA to be sure but it works for me!

Dave S.

Harry B.
The identification site has been gone for 3+ years now.
I did get the OK from JL to take it over and revamp the site to get it back up, BUT! Time is an issue and I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
It's amazing how many people want stuff up on the web so they can have the information, but no one wants to put forth any effort to do it. LOL
Soooo, It will get done when I get around to it.
biggrin.gif

For those who struggle with photos, I use Irfanview for a website that I manage. It is a bit complicated, but it works well for resizing and is a freeware, thus the download and the license to use it is in the public domain.

irfanview.todownload.com/

To keep on topic, I use this to download photos of the 1250.

Back