• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Geez , don't know where to start ... okay figured it out.

Everybody's wrong
biggrin.gif

Jerry B - A guy I know ran duals on his truck for years just bolted together. Try it then let us know the results ... oh you might could smear or glob some JB between the tires were they contact.

Dennis - 7 years to change oil ?
bottom.gif

Oil breaks down and acids build up plus the condensation ... all I can say is
bottom.gif

Kentuck, must have one. Look at pedal on right side, its a double, guess its so you can 'double clutch' it when you shift...JMHO....
whistling.gif

CHARLIE - The "Clamp-on" duals for full size farm tractors use a tapered steel spacer between the factory rim and the dual rim which really wedges the two together. And depending on size use 4, 6, or 8 turnbuckles to tighten the duals into the wheel rim. Dad had a home-made set of duals for planting corn with the Super H that He only used three per wheel, And I remember one Sunday afternoon planting beans then the one dual came loose and rolled down a hill ahead of Him. He was working full-time driving semi for FS and We were in a BIG hurry for finish planting so He planted up to where the dual was setting. Stopped, got off, rolled it out of His way and continued planting. He also had a set of clamp-on duals for His '51 M for a couple years when He used it for planting but the steering was/is WAY too loose on it to drive straight enough to plant corn/beans with from 50+ yrs of loader and mounted corn picker duty.

Also not a bad idea to angle the turnbuckles on them as opposed to running them parallel to the axle. Also the old IH letter series and early number series cast rear wheel centers were known to crack frequently when clamp-on duals were used. Finally the Wedge-loc wheels on the later 56-series ended quite a few of those problems.

Kentucky Ken,
How well I know about that airflow for cooling. When I overhauled my 129, I installed a pulling cam in it and also machined the head some to get it flat and for more compression. It will keep up with any 149 and some 169's. My brother-in-law was living with us and decided to mow the grass for me while I was at work last summer. He thought he would save some fuel and only run it half throttle. That engine never used any oil and could go all summer without adding any, until that day. It now uses 1/2 quart every 2 hours. He overheated the engine and fried the rings, maybe more. I have not torn it apart yet to see what is all wrong. It still runs good and because of the higher compression, it hardly smokes at all. Now rather than checking the oil and filling with fuel, I fill with oil and check the gas.

KEN - Your not the first person from this forum to accuse Me of REALLY abusing My equip. by not servicing it properly....
shhh.gif
982 had 16 or 20 hours on a new hour meter when I bought it in 1999. I think it shows 180 or 187 now. I know oil breaks down and the additive pkgs settle out. Condensation in the shop it's parked in really isn't an issue. Temp never varies much more than 40 degrees year-round. The old Hy-Tran was new when I got it and still looked fine with NO slime anywhere inside the rearend when I changed it. Keep in mind this 982 has the rear PTO and Cat. O 3-pt. It's a REAL PITA to pull the rear cover. Even with air tools it takes two HOURS just to get to the cover! At least IH put a dipstick on the transmission to check the level.

Dennis,
The only thing I was thinking is, not so much the slippin part, but mostly the bending of the wheels, I know I've come close to bending mine a couple times putting wheel weights on.
Course we all know I don't use IH weights.
biggrin.gif

Jerry B,
I'll look at dad's this weekend and measure some black corrugated culvert he's got there. I think it's the right size, but everytime I'm there I forget to measure. Not sure how I'd get a really clean cut, but we can try.

Keith

Dennis - I take the 127 out on the road and with my hydro foot pedal go from toe to heel toe heel toe just to see those 10.50s smoke
happy.gif

I changed oil once in the 4.3 S15 with a heat gun ... that tar liked to never started flowing ... BUT I thought YOU knew better !!!!!

oh I forgot --------

Matt - Put that thing away ... I don't swing that way.

Dennis,
That story about your dad and the duals. Now that's funny!

Dennis, go easy on the young guys. a lot of them will not remember oil in a metal can or the spout to stab in the top. Still have two cans of delo 400 oil in cans and cannot make myself open that can of hy-tran. Can't figure it out but this 149 doesn't leak any oil or fluid. Oil blowby is another matter
bash.gif

I worked in a Gulf station when I was a kid...I wanted and <u>empty</u> GulfPride can for the shelf... $20.00. Think of all the $$$ we threw away.

Just got out of the woods with a full load of Maple. Starting to rain again back to the shop- may start on the 149 - I need something to pull the trailer with, without a blade or thrower on it (I had to throw a bunch of wet leaves with the QA42, getting out of the woods when the front end "dipped" into the leading edge of a little bump in the trail)

The main thing I would worry about when putting tire against tire would be the tire sidewalls. Most tires squat a little and even more when you put weight on them such as loaded trailers and just the driver sitting on them. Now you have 2 tires with sidewalls trying to flex out only to be pushing against each other. Now because it cannot move, it will not flex and will give a hard ride. It will also put more strain on everything else like the bolts fastening them together and the rim itself. Something will eventually give. It may be the tires, or the bolts, or probably the rims.

RAY - I was probably 500-600 feet away discing ahead of Dad planting on the other tractor.... Just far enough away that Dad couldn't see how hard I was laughing.... He normally didn't get too excited about stuff even when things went wrong but He was in a hurry THAT day.
lol.gif

Its a month and a week since I brought the 127 home and I'm slowly getting it taken apart. As I said in earlier post I'm move along slowly trying not to break too many bolt heads off as I disassemble. I've spent possible four hours over as many days (not consecutive) getting the truss head machine screws out of the foot rests to get the fenders off. I don't think the PO ever had the fenders off from the look of the hydro pump and associated pieces/parts.

I'm going to try to post some pictures

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

Matt G, Good One!

Maintenence is the easiest way to keep anything.
There is no excuse not to change oil engine/trans.

Latest posts

Back