• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 26, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be getting another look at it tomorrow & take some pics with my decent camera. It's 140 miles from home, and I won't have my pickup. If I get it, it won't make it home for a while.

I've been a member for awhile but only posted a couple of times as I don't know diddly so I shutup and learn from you Guys...I need your diagnosis on this opportunity if you could help me: I saw a 1650 at a small engine repair shop so I stopped and asked about it. The guy said he just put new rubber engine mounts on it but it still vibrates too much for him. He started it for me and man I thought the hood was going to fly off or the headlights come flying out, that's how much it vibrated - just the top vibrated like crazy at all points on the throttle. The engine and frame hardly vibrated if at all. Before I make him an offer, I was wondering if you guys had some thoughts as to what is going on to make the top vibrate so much?
Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I'll jump in before Richard C. does.... Sounds like they snugged down the rubber ISO mounts too much making them too stiff. I believe the new replacement rubber ISO mounts are stiffer and can not be tightened to the old specs. Richard has done some experimenting on these, hopefully he'll post his info soon and correct me if I got it wrong. I'm a narrow frame guy.
happy.gif

Ed/Kraig-

When I re-did the mounts in my 1650, I tightened them so that one thread was showing on each of the bolts, which I believe was at Richard's recommendation. That worked great; it was very smooth at full throttle.

Hay guys I still haven't figured out what I am doing with my wiring. On the diagram #6 go's from Batt - to ? And # 13 go's from? to?.
bash.gif
Am I wrong in thinking (F) no the starter is ground?

Mike M., the F terminal goes to the V/R. The A terminal goes to the starter solenoid. The starter/generator is grounded through the case. My 128 has a ground strap that goes from the front mounting bolt of the S/G to the grille pedestal. The strap is an extra ground. The engine is grounded through the frame/ negative batt terminal connection.

Todd M, hopefully I will see you there at Scottsdale. My buddy and I are fixing a trailer up that he recently got and if we get it done and I can get off work that weekend, I should be there. Nick

Id like to go to the Scottdale PD but think thats same day as our spring park cleanup. I am on park board -plus I have a Cub and trailer=hauling garbage, mulch,tools,water etc. Maybe I can come out Friday or Sunday to see how you hook/set-up a plow.Never been to one yet so if can't bring tractor, I bring myself.
and on a side note,talked about the idea of a Mow day or Mow-In or Mow n' Mulch(whatever name we go with) at our park. they liked idea once I 'splained it. I will look into this further,dont think enuff time to do one this spring(maybe) might do a fall one see how that goes and plan one for next spring. Any ideas would be welcome,here's some I came up with off top of my head:
1. Obviously the mowing of park grass
2. Tractor coloring "contest" for kids who come with parents
3. Trailer rides for young'uns
4. Picnic at pavilion
5. maybe a dash plaque or something sim. for event. Hat maybe? cost maybe factor for this,tho.
6. Have some other implement use: aerators,etc.
LMK what you all think. course round here we say what yinz think n'at.

Kraig and Matt - thank you very much. That's real encouraging. I know some guys have welded supports accross the frame but I couldn't see that being the only answer since the engine and frame weren't vibrating. Your explanation makes sense.

Harry; Several years ago we were leveling a field for a little league practice field. I took my 147,mower deck,Tiller, old horse drawn disc,Roller, and a drag for leveling. By the end of the day i had about 50 people wanting to get a cub cadet. Something like that might go good with a mow day. Just my 3c.
Luther

Ed K: On top of what Kraig and Matt have said about the ISO mounts, if the Kohler's points (timing) are not set with a timing light, they will vibrate....and sometimes make a slight knocking sound because of slightly being out of time.

Also keep in mind, the piston in a single cylinder 16hp Kohler is a pretty big slug, and the entire rotating assembly has not been balanced like in a puller engine....this equals more vibration.

Ed K,

In addition to what has already been mentioned, check the condition of the hinge attaching the hood. Years of vibration does take a toll on them and they do crack and wear. It may be your hinge is worn out and in need of replacement.

Ed Kane

One thing puzzles me when you say the engine doesn't vibrate, just the hood. It's normally the engine vibration that is the culprit.

Along with checking the timing and tuning up the engine I would check the flex couplers on the drive shaft.

Hi everyone.I'm assembling the front axle and steering linkage on my 126 and without any adjustments the wheels are toed out about an inch on each tire(measured from straight ahead).The tie rods are rusted so it has not moved in a while- could it be that the spindle is bent above the curve(twisted) from being ran into something with either wheel?.I don't think there's enough thread at the tie rods to compensate.Has anybody seen this before?.Thanks in advance for any help.Keith W.

Quick question, would a tiller from a 782 fit w/o modification to a 129? And all I need is the rear gearbox, lift mechanism, hitch plate on the bottom that has the holes on the sides, and a regular mule drive right?

Kraig M. Thank You!!! Those are great pics.

Dennis F. That is a cool hitch and very creative. I don't think I could quite fab one like that in such short time for Clarence though. So, I'll work on his hitch this summer if all goes well. My main welder is still the little 50 amp. When I get Clarence's spring assit made I'll post some pics here and try to get it on the 125 for Plow Day. I think you'll like the design of it. Maybe I can get a couple of pics tomorrow and send them to you. If all goes well lifting the plow with the lever should be much easier this year.
Shift.gif

Bill, Ron and Richard - thanks for taking the time with those suggestions. This 1650 is 150 miles away from me so I'm taking a day off next week so I can look at it real good...I did find Richard's article in the FAQs... I'll let you know how I make out.

On Thursday we were discussing fiberglass repair and I mentioned a 1976 Arctic Cat El Tigre that I had done some fiberglass repair to the belly pan. Here's a photo of it, I believe during the winter of 1985/86 a few years after the repair. Note in the garage in the upper right corner of the photo. it's an on topic Cub Cadet 125 with the QA42 snowthrower.
proud.gif
We must have been charging the battery because the hood is up. Also in the photo is my then new 1985 Arctic Cat Cougar, my parent's Farmall C and hiding in the garage behind the Cub Cadet is my parent's 1965 Mercury Park Lane Convertible.

115392.jpg

Kraig, had an artic cat el just like yours , now from cats to cubs what a change . Brings back some good times i had 30 years ago.

I spent the afternoon working on a sleeve hitch for my 1872. I prefer sleeve hitch plows, and really didn't want to put the $$$$ into lots of Cat 0 stuff, so the sleeve hitch got added to the SGT. Dad has done a similar modification to one of his 982's. I went one step further, adding a 1/4" strap across the top of the casting brackets to help box the frame and hopefully keep the transaxle to frame bolts from working loose due to the additional stress (it's a bad enough area as-is). I have the lower bracket, it was just not added yet. Tomorrow all of the bare steel gets painted semi-gloss black and the rear cover gets touched up.

115394.jpg

115395.jpg

115396.jpg

I applied the standard load test (my big butt jumping up and down on the lift bar) and I glad to report that it's rock solid!!!!

I also had the turfs taken off my spare set of SGT rims so I can get those painted and ready for the 26" rubber that my 782 has been begging for
happy.gif
happy.gif

Herd may also get shuffled around again very soon here...I'll let you guys wonder about that one....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Back