• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 23, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as promised i got pics of the parts i sandblasted today, i hope there parts will turnout better that any of the other parts i've painted because all the others ive done were justed sanded by hand with paper!
111917.jpg

111918.jpg

should i wipe these down with lacker before primer?

"Spirol" is a brand name of a coiled spring pin, also called a "roll pin" or just a "spring pin". What we normally call a "roll pin" is also called a "slotted spring pin". Make sense?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Matt, looking good!
thumbsup.gif
If it were me I'd wipe all those parts down with a clean rag with lacquer thinner on it. Be safe, use chemical resistant gloves and do this in an open area. Wouldn't hurt to wear a half face respirator either and when you paint. Ya don't want to end up
dizzy.gif
or go
poof.gif
!
icon_eek.gif

Kraig,
I thought that the 44" and 50" decks didn't come out until late 1973 or early 1974? All my 1x9 tractors came with 42" or 48" decks except my 149 and it is a '74 model. All the rest are '73 models.

yah i only do little stuff like those tank brackets inside with a mask, but its suppost to warm up tomarrow and ill paint out side then bring em inside to dry.

Matt Stetar (Mstetar I have been try to find time to paint my 129 Cub and loader now for 5 months, it is at the stage you are on the sandblasting. I thought i could just prime it after washing down with a grease and wax remover. No ,i`am now sanding to get a smooth service, i don`t think etching primer will give me the surface i want to get a nice low shine. so this is why this 129 is not painted.After the holidays i will give some here a shock lol i will finsh something. Later Don T
111922.jpg

Wes, could be, did any of the 42" decks have gauge wheels?

Kraig - Yes it makes sense. In fact, after posting my question, I went 'googling' (I know; I should have done that before asking). And look what I found:

111934.gif
111935.gif

111936.gif
111937.gif

111938.gif

I've also seen posts about using punches designed for the Spirol/spiral/coil pins. How do they differ from regular punches? Where's the best place to look for a set to buy? Not sure our local Hardware Hank would even know what I'm talking about...

Wish I could post pictures to help this discussion along but at this time I don't have a computer with a functionin' CD drive - sorry.

Kraig McConaughey – Thank you for postin' the pictures of your 42 deck gauge wheel brackets, that's exactly what I was lookin' for. My deck does measure 42" from blade tip to blade tip. In addition, it was mounted on my 149 by the PO and works great even with 23 x 1050 - 12 rears and gauge wheels mounted. My deck has both the mounting holes for the gauge wheel brackets, as your deck pictures show, AND the mounting holes in the top of the deck for the half round runners (5 square holes – 3 for the large runner and 2 for the small runner). The holes in the top are for the half round runners NOT the round runners. Now, these holes are factory holes (square) not something the PO added. I thought the runners would function just as they would on a 38 deck usin' both runners and gauge wheels but looks as though I'm SOL – not without drillin' new holes in the back of the deck apron and I really don't wanna do that.

Why would a 42 deck have "both" the gauge wheel bracket hole pattern in the outside rear apron edge, as your pictures show, AND the half round deck runner mounting holes on the top if they won't work in tandem? Is it a use either the half round runners or gauge wheels and not both maybe?!?!?!?!?

Todd Heaton – Well, my 42 deck looks like a 38 but doesn't have the gauge wheel mounting holes near the center like a 38 does my deck has the gauge wheel mounting holes towards the outside edge of the rear apron and as I stated above it also has the mounting holes for half round runners as well. My mistake, I guess, was thinkin' that on a 42 deck both the half round runners and the outside gauge wheels would work together.

111940.gif

Kenneth

Greg, the roll pin punches have a rounded tip instead of a flat tip. I believe this is so that they self center. I've never used one, so far I've had good results using a regular pin punch. If you look in the Machine Shop Forum area for a thread titled "Roll Pin Punches" Kenneth posted a photo of a set of roll pin punches, if you look close you can see the rounded tip.

Kenneth, in a few more minutes I'll have better photos of a 42" deck for you, the batteries should be just about charged up. Gotta fire up the wood furnace, it's getting cold in here.... Be back in a few minutes with photos.

Don T, im not trying to get this thing to look imaculate, i just want it to look good, in fact i prob wouldn't have started resto on it except for how bad the paint job was on it, i just couldnt stand it there was overspray everywhere, runs, quater inch thick paint, plus it wouldn't run so i just started into it, i have access to a full scale paint shop and paint booth for cars also so if i was going for show thats where i would be!
Matt Stetar

i got a question about my grill insert, you cant really see in the pic, but it is all warped and bubbled almost, how can i straighten it out? i was gonna put in a press, but I'm afraid it will bend the perforations that are suppost to be there! got any tips?
111945.jpg

Kenneth, here's two of my better decks. These might show more info. Perhaps the "extra" holes are a carry over from a prior version.
dunno.gif
As an aside, I did recently notice that the narrow frame PTO engagement bracket has two square holes in it even though they are spot welded on. The square holes are a carry over from when the PTO was an option on the Original.

111947.jpg

111948.jpg

111949.jpg

111950.jpg

Kenneth, I am learning right along with ya
coffee.gif
Just posting what I "think" I know!

Matt- no but I know Ray Miller here in McDonald .He's a parks committee board member too.He coaches little ranger football team.I am not orig. from here,transplant from east suburbs via south side (15+ years)

Brendan-thanks its pretty much way I got it,Ive done some clean up/paint-like front of plow and other spots on tractor. this was first time I put plow on,like everything else,once do it ,it will be easier next time. I was orig. thinking line up rockshaft bars,jack up plow and it'll glide right in. not quite but didnt need a hammer,so that was a plus. One thing I think I will do in spring is put wheel studs in axles,holdin those filled wheels up,even putting 2 punches thru holes to help steady wheel-that was a nad stretcher gettin them on.Studs look real good idea,long as dont interfere with wheel weights.

As <strike>promised</strike> threatened, here are the photos of the Cub Den.

111957.jpg

111958.jpg

Matt, quality time with needle nose pliers, screw drivers or anything else you can find to carefully straighten all the little bends out of the grill. Oh and plenty of patience.

Thanks Kraig, but its not small enough to really do with needle nose pliers, it is really more of a wave through the whole thing, that is why i thought a press would fix it, but what do i know??? ok well see you in the A.M.... oh wait it is A.M.!

Back