• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 17, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, that's just what I needed down here in Texas - a weather report from beyond the Arctic Circle. Bah Humbug! Please, let's just talk Cub Cadets instead...

Myron B

( a weather report from beyond the Arctic Circle) perhaps Goggle maps will show you where Nova Scotia is.We do get snow over here as much of the USA does also.I think comments like you just made discourage people from posting and that is not what the hobby needs! So here is a Cub related snow picture just for you !

265654.jpg

Donald
That's a great picture of your CC pushing all that snow
groupwave.gif
... those lights make it look like the old cub is enjoying some outdoor time with you. If you keep pushing all that you may end up missing under it all. I've had a snow thrower and the front blade and gotta tell ya I enjoy pushing with the blade the most, actually any time on my cc is enjoyable.

Don, looking good, nothing like a high horse hydro IH cub cadet pushing snow.. I haven't had enough snow to be worthy of pictures, but it will come and they will be posted.

ah heck heres my favorite from last year.

265676.jpg

JOHN L. - I have a little two-part test for you to do about how much good a 200-300 watt elec. oil pan heater can do on a 1-cyl air-cooled Kohler splash lubed engine.

Pour a whole bottle of KARO corn syrup, the THICK stuff in a bowl. Then put the bowl in the fridge for an hour or two. Then throw a tennis ball or something like it into the bowl and see how much of the syrup splashes out.... NONE, or at least very little. Then pour a whole bottle of vegetable oil in a bowl, throw the tennis ball into it... then wipe up the mess.

Now flick your finger into the KARO syrup, your finger is the finger on the rod cap stirring up the oil to lube your Kohler when it first starts when it's cold. Now flick your finger in the veg. oil.

Yes, I bought my 200W mag. heater 30 yrs ago when my CC had to start in a cold shop to move snow. I had a 75,000 BTU kerosene heater in a 8 ft X 16 ft x 7 ft tall shop, I could have had the shop up to 80 degrees in a half hour, but I needed WARM OIL so it would splash around. Cold oil does NOT splash. If I had a hydro, I'd have a heater for both the engine & trans. The mag heaters work great on 7,8, & 10 HP engines, not so good on the 12, 14, & 16 HP engines since they dont have flat oil pans.

I saw a discussion on another forum about a higher incidence of diesel fuel gelling this winter than in past winters. Bio-diesel was the blame, or at least accused of being the problem. My diesel p/u was my daily driver for nine years, then my snow day back-up vehicle for four more years, and the bad snowy day vehicle for the last five winters. It's NEVER gelled up even when below zero. I bought winter blean fuel plus when temps were to get around Zero, I'd add de-geller, Power Service additive. Even 30+ yrs ago when I drove semi trucks I NEVER had a truck gell up on me. The problem of diesel's gelling up is vastly over-blown. It happens, but a tiny bit of preparation prevents it.

AMY K. - My $0.02 worth on your new tires.... I'd maybe add windshield washer fluid to your old turf tires if they have inner tubes in them. Modify your old truck chains to fit your CC's rear tires. I have an all concrete driveway and I can push more snow with a snow shovel than my 6000 and 7000 pound full size farm tractors can without chains. LUGGED tires are terrible on concrete when pushing snow. Once you spin a tire the least little bit, you form ice under the tire and your traction disappears. The scratches on concrete from the chains fade after a few months.

Like Don T says, and ATV tire may work better than a garden tractor tire, but an ATV tends to use speed and momentum to move snow where a garden tractor uses slower speed and traction to maintain it's pushing power. I'd like to see someone try a "Winter Tire" like a Bridgestone BLIZZAK on a garden tractor. They have a super-soft tread rubber, about like a pencil eraser. They would be much better than a plain turf tire, or lug tire, but not sure if they would be as good as a pair of chains, I kinda doubt it.

DT: If my comment(s) discourages more of that inane social chit-chat better suited for Facebook, then W O N D E R F U L ! This hobby and this forum, by the way, is supposed to be about IH Cub Cadets, their operation, maintenance, repair and restoration. Leave be weather to the Weather Channel. If the rest of the world wants to know the weather on the nether regions of the north, and I normally don't, then we can look it up.

Myron B

JEFF B. - We'll all be expecting pic's of THIS winter's snow pushing effort Sunday night or Monday morning

Thanks everyone for the replies about the cold weather starting issues.

Catching up on my reading!

Amy,
I did as Don and Steve were saying and made the pulley change during a full rebuild sever years ago on my 42” thrower. It worked better than I expected last week when most of my 100+ yard long driveway was 2” of heavy snow flooded with water. I could not step anywhere without standing in water and slush. I decided to try the thrower anyway and to my surprise I was throwing all of it a good 15 – 20 feet water included. When I was done the driveway was just damp.

I would say having the speed-up pulley definitely helped.

I took a 200' walk throught a foot a snow to take this picture of my speed up pilley. I hate having any cub attachments not under cover ; but my wife says no more storage buildings because I will only fill them up lol.

board-post.pl

Thanks Jeff and Mike for the support .
thumbsup.gif

Latest posts

Back