• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 11, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshaff

displayname
Steve Shaff
Very sharp Justin...A 147 would be my choice for a 14 hp --- the cast end deck on there rocks, too!
icon_jam.gif

Justin-

That is a clean looking machine. What's up with the missing seat springs? Doesn't it ride a little rough?

Justin very nice 147. I have a soft spot for 147's
my first cub was a 147.

Wayne, that picture is a bit dated, I did add the OEM springs, and my current front tires are the tri-rib.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Appreciate it.

It was fun and sometimes frustrating fixing up this tractor. My first one!

Justin,

You done good!

Wayne,

Got my driveway plowed out yesterday evening with my 128. Added 100 lbs. to the rear, and the snow melted down a few inches.
The best/quickest/most effective plowing happened in third gear!
err.gif

Hey Marty - I just reviewed page 42 of the 128 Operator Manual. 3rd Gear spec's at 6.9 mph. I think you're really taking a chance. Hope you had some type of seat belt.
323888.jpg

Hydro-

Just curious...what good would a seat belt do??? I guess using BRS one could be thrown over the steering wheel.

ALL snow plowing happens in 3rd gear on a Cub Cadet......3rd - reverse - 3rd - reverse.......the other gears are for summer work.

Momentum is your friend with a blade in snow.....6.9 mph is barely enough speed in heavy snow. Lower speeds/gears just spin you out quicker...

Don't ram piles at WOT 3rd, but don't waste your time in 2nd running down the driveway!

and NEVER use a seat belt on something without ROPS...if it goes over you get squashed, with no chance of getting thrown clear....

Hi everyone. Just wanted to thank Ron Schmitt and Kraig McConaughey for their help on the 102 starting issue. Turns out after testing everything I still couldn't get it to turn over. When I went back through checking connections again I noticed it. The small stud on the solenoid was broken in the housing, when I pushed on it to test it, it would make a connection but using the key.... nothing. I had a used one that I put in it and it seems good. Fires right up with just a touch of the switch. Thanks again guys for the help.
I have another question The tractor likes to jump out of reverse and 3rd gear. I was guessing a bent shift fork anyone else have this problem?

Yep, I agree with Steve. I’ve never pushed snow with a gear drive, but unless I’m doing “trim work” with the blade (around vehicles, the short sidewalk, etc) it’s WOT and the lever is pushed almost to the top of the dash..... (Quietline Hydro)

Hey Matt D - what about me? Did you try jumping directly at your S/G?

Wayne - exactly. If the blade makes contact with an immovable object it's best if you can remain in contact with the seat. Even tho the steering wheel will generally keep the lower half of your body from travelling to far I've made contact with the hood in the past and it's quite slippery.

Steve - I've tried that 3rd gear approach in the past. Had to keep feathering the clutch which was a PIA. I also don't agree with you on the seat belt. Ya having a ROPS would be nice, but I don't think you'd roll unless you're turning the tractor and I definitely wouldn't recommend turning if you're pushing snow in 3rd at WOT.

In the end, if you know and are familiar with the base surface you're clearing off you're probably pretty safe in 3rd WOT or full forward Hydro. If you're doing a friends driveway I'd slow her down.

Hydro-

Come on now...Steve is exactly right. You said "I don't think you'd roll over unless you were turning the tractor". With the weight we all deal with it wouldn't take but one time. And I've turned every cub I've ever driven. I agree they are quite stable in most cases and I'm not that experienced with a blade but at the same time I don't want to be strapped to 500+ lbs without the ROPS.

You ought to get a blade for that trailer queen you have out in the garage.

Hi everyone. I have a Cub Cadet 1250 that I'm going to be replacing the contact points, condenser and the ignition coil on. I have seen where the Kohler coil has been replaced with a coil from Accel or MSD. Looking for some feedback as to weather it is possible to make the switch or not and what extra parts would be needed to do the switch.

How much does a 1250 weigh? I don't see it listed in the manual. I know I've seen it listed on here before, but my search skills in the archives seem to fail me.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back