Archive through December 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmorski

Tried something new today. Mounted my Chipper Shredder on my 782. Had to relocate the pully, but it did work. Turned it around.
Needed to dispose of all of the ice storm debris. Tons and Tons of tree limbs have been hauled so far, now it is the small stuff..

I was not aware that the position of the PTO pulley on the 782 is farther forward than the Q/L with respect to the mounts of the QA.

I think I will break my 149 down this winter and rebuild her, and use the MTD with the snowblower to clean the drive anyway. It takes less time, provided the darned thing keeps runnin. Need to go to the auto shop and get a new solinoid for it.
Bryan... how did you make the exhaust deflector on your 1450,( I saw it on your website, with the 59M chipper attached to it...) I need to use one similar to it to keep the exhaust from burnin the paint off my shiny black blower on the MTD... thanks, Glen.
Also, what's the most that a 59M can handle at full speed?

Kraig,
I believe I told ya that before you came down.
biggrin.gif

As soon as I get done with that tractor in the little garage, I'll deliver it to ya though.

Eric, I suppose it's possible that your battery was damaged by arcing it, but I wouldn't think so. I've seen people actually weld with batteries and it didn't hurt the batteries at all. HOWEVER, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a different battery or try jump starting the Cub with your car as a test.

Glen, for a peak into Dan Hoefler's shop, aka "one of the coolest places on earth", click HERE

Charlie, I HAVE to start listening better. Thanks.
happy.gif

Eric,
Have you cleaned all your ground connections?
On how it works,
When the ignition switch is placed in the start position the starter spins at a high rate of speed, centrifugal force moves the spring loaded bendix forward and engages the fly wheel teeth which turns the engine to initiate the start.

Usually the first indication of a malfunction is when you attempt to start the engine, the starter spins with no load and sounds like an electric motor running (which it is). When this happens the bendix spring or retainer washer on the end has usually broken.
Tha means that it's time for a new or rebuilt starter. IMHO

Did someone say "pay Bryan"???
lol.gif

Charlie or Kraig..do you remember when guys showed different ways to pour concrete, and different wheel weight ideas, maybe 6-8 months ago? Mitch Haley couldnt find it in past postings.

Creating weight is limited only to your own imagination. If you can think of it, someone has probably already done it.
Me! I'm lazy and run JD weights front and rear.
46746.jpg

While I'm on a roll here and back to the Super Steering upgrade thing that's been talked about the last week or so.
One of our sponsors list above under Kirk Engines offers that upgrade at a super price.
46750.jpg

Cub Cadet Super Steering Upgrade Kit

Ever wish you had power steering on your IH Cub? This simple modification will lessen steering effort immensely by reducing friction. The stock steering box uses a grease-lubricated washer that rides against the housing, taking all thrust loads. This kit replaces the friction-causing washer with a ball-thrust bearing, a clever retrofit discovered by Donald Mayes. As these parts are external to the steering box, this is one of the easiest modifications to perform, taking about ½ hour to complete.

Kit consists of a NICE 605 ball thrust bearing, precision steel shim washer, and quality Nylock jam nut. Instructions on installation and adjusting are included. For IH Cub Cadets models 70 through 169, 800 through 1650 Quietlines, and all 86 series.

I was hoping that someone could give me any ideas on how to make my cub 1450 quiet. I us it for plowing and just messing around. This is the third time I have posted this question with no responce.

Michael J.
I'll give you a little tip on how things work as far as forums go.
Guys ask questions and when others know the answers they answer'um for ya right away.
if no one knows the answer or have not tried to improve on perfection, no one will post a reply, even to say I don't know.
Personally I don't find QL's loud, and in fact they are exremly quiet compared to those nasty 149s. And yes I have a couple 149's and I don't like'um! LOL
If your wanting a super quiet machine, my suggestion would be to experiment and report back. That way if someone by chance would ask down the road, we would have an answer for'um.
Or buy something brand new, I've heard they are whisper quiet. Then give me your quietline to ease your pain.
biggrin.gif

PS,
Since you dint post a pic so we could make sure that your QL is factory stock, we don't know if someone has not replace the QL muffler with a pepper box muffler under the hood.
And yes, I have a 1200 that someone did that too, LOL
That sucker is LOUD!

Michael: I will take for granted that you have the engine tuned well, the 'box' around the muffler is in good shape, the ISO mounts and flex disks are in good shape also, and you have the side covers on......

The only way I know of to make a QL even quieter is to install a new muffler.

Last summer I put a new muffler on my 1450. It was instantly quieter than my 1250, which I previously thought the 1250 was pretty darn quiet. Hold on to your wallet though...new QL mufflers do cost a bit of money, no matter where you buy it/who you buy it from.

Also, David Kirk posted a way to build your own 'glass pack' muffler....I don't imagine it would be quieter than a new stock muffler...but it would make your tractor 'sound' cool
thumbsup_old.gif

Does someone have a good engine option for a 1650 hydro, with consideration for ease of modifications and low cost? I have bored my K341 .030 oversize, new rod, piston and rings; but the crank had been turned .010 and needed an extra .004 - .005 to clean it up. Of course my engine now sounds very much like a diesel and may not stay together very long. My problem is the cost of another Kohler due to the fact that the 1650 is retired from grass cutting duty and is used as tow-mule for my utility trailer plus hauling me with my no-good-knees around the neighborhood. The cub does not now need the high horsepower or torque or durability of the K341. Any suggestions will be appreciated. D Veillon

Michael J.
Make sure your muffler and the box enclosing the muffler are in good condition, and the muffler is not leaking inside the muffler box. Check the seal on the firewall and that the hood fits good. This will help send some of the noise out the front, away from the operator.

You should still wear some good ear protection. You may want to move up to the 82 series cubs as they are quieter.

When I mow with my 1650 I always use ear protection, but when mowing with my 782 I don't need the ear protection.

Sorry fellers, I only get to hook up every now & then.
Dave Poor (Dec 05, 4.05a.m.) I just finished reading Updike a week or so ago. Hope it's fair dinkium cause I think I learned heaps.
David Veillon (Dec 09, 11.27p.m.) In Oz look at going for a Honda V twin & face any minor mods to CC frame.
Glad y'all sorted out that HP/Torque has notning to do with Flywheel size, it's only there to smooth things out (keep going till the next power push), which in the case of high speed/high performance jobs is only a drawback.

Latest posts

Back