Archive through December 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thad, TuckyKen said he was sorry, I think.

Lead fumes are nothing to sneeze at. If you're doing it by the gallon to make tractor ballast, it's best to smelt it outdoors. (but not when it's raining, a drop of water in molten metal releases a scary amount of energy, in the form of flying molten metal). In small doses, I put my little Lee lead casting furnace on the range and turn the vent hood on high.
Some bullet casters like to melt their tire balance weights down, skim off the dross, etc, in a big iron pot on a propane burner from a turkey fryer. Then they pour it into cupcake tins to make more manageable ingots for future bullet casting. That's where I got the idea that a round cake pan might do for a wheel weight, or a bread loaf pan to make big ingots for the Cub utility box.
Is the utility box sealed on the sides and bottom? If so, you could take an old pitted box and pour a couple gallons of lead in it to make a 200# rear weight. It would counterweight a QA42 quite nicely I'd think. In fact, if I am lucky enough to get a Cub with 52# IH weights, I might just sell the weights for $100 (do people really pay that much?) and make a combination rear hitch/weight box with the center of mass below and behind the axle.

One last wheel ballast idea I haven't seen mentioned:
How firmly do those aftermarket moon disks grab onto the rims, and how much lead would they hold if you poured them full?

Mitch H. If you pour your own round cake pan weight, remember to put bolts thru the back of the weight or put pipes for bolts in the mold. Lead is ugley stuff to drill thru.

Mitch -- have you got a working smoke detector in your house? I use to melt lead on the stove when I was younger and breathed better, 2 rooms away the detector would go off! I spent over 30 years welding everything but zinc as I refused to weld it. Since I do castings I was melting zinc doing castings back in the spring. It's just as bad as lead. Everytime I melt lead or zinc I get sick for a few days and I do it out in the open air. (see my homepage link for a pic of me melting iron)

You can drill lead but it has to be slow rpm's and plenty of WD40.

Now as for someone on here calling me an idiot ... I know better than getting turned on here, the forum would be shut down. Just don't EVER meet me in person.

I switched my turf tires for the new ags I picked up on the loader.
46770.jpg

The tires are full of salt water. This is giving me about 75 lbs of weight per tire. I rigged up an rv pump I had lying around. I connected the suction end to the inner tube and sucked the salt water out into some buckets.
46771.jpg

46772.jpg

I used a couple of wood clamps with a 1x6 as a backer to pop the bead. After ratcheting the clamp down a few clicks I would hit the tire with a rubber mallet.
46773.jpg

If the bead didn't pop, then a few hits with a blunt pry bar did the trick.
46774.jpg

I gently removed the tire with a flat pry bar and a screwdriver. Being careful not to scratch the rim.
46775.jpg

The hardest part of the whole tire removal process is installing the last bead. You need two knees and three hands.
46776.jpg

Finally, I reversed the hoses on the rv pump to pump the salt water back into the tire. I had a tee valve in-line with the hose connected to the inner tube. After the tire was filled I switched the tee valve to drain. This would relieve the pressure from the hose connected to the inner tube. That way the salt water wouldn't spray all over when I removed the hose to reinstall the tire valve.

Hey Guys,

Cleaned off the battery ground and tried jump starting the tractor from the car. No go. Starter spins, but the Bendix does not engage.

I'm thinking I'll take the starter to a shop this week for a rebuild. Never had this done before. What's a reasonable price?

Nice looking loader terry,J.Donovan was wandering what size and brand my tires were on my 104,I couldnt reach his email so here they are on my newest project,the one that started it all,my 129"i.e.169"now,they are your standard carlisle superlug 23-10.50-12 rears and deestone 4 ply tri-rib 4.00-8.00 fronts,which I really like.I had to hear the sound of the 169 with the stack,needless to say it is awsome,"MUCHO-RESPECTO"
46781.jpg

Dale R.
Attachment points are stock, bolt and go.
I run 90 pound starter weights inside with 54 pounders on the outsides.

Terry B.
I just gotta ask. WTH did ya even change the wheels in the first place?
And I thought taught you a least a little something about salt water unless you added tubes! LOL

Eric N.
A far price is what the guy charges you to do a good job. I've been to a motor repair shop that negotiated his fees.
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back