• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 07, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Eric, contrary to what Don said about there not being such a thing as too much weight, this is probably too much weight.
icon_eek.gif

300784.jpg

300785.jpg

300786.jpg

Photos were taken by Tim DeLooza just for fun. Tim actually drove it out the shop door around in a circle then back in the shop. Then removed the weights because the rims were starting to bend! In case you're curious, according to Tim there were a total of 17 weights per side, note two weights were on the inboard side of each rear wheel.

Attachments

• 300786.jpg
    300786.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 300785.jpg
    300785.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 300784.jpg
    300784.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 123
  • icon_eek.gif
    icon_eek.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 124
  • 300784.jpg
    300784.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 300785.jpg
    300785.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 300786.jpg
    300786.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 234
Don, my AGM batteries are dry cells... No fluids

what I mean was weight over the wheels will show little damage to the tractor. What Tim D did is not workable weight.I plan to run a plastic 75 lb and two IH weights per rear wheel on my snow blowing tractor . I might hang another 400 lbs on the back. snow blowers with there weight so far forward decrease rear wheel traction when the snow blower is lifted.

Don, I posted that as humor.
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 130
Any weight , rotating with the tire, or that helps "hook up" the tire will increase the potential for damage to components.......tie it down and stuff will start to break.

Rotating weight takes the stress of the axle bearings, but it adds to the stress applied tot he axles themselves, especially if the wheels are spinning and getting traction abruptly.

A couple hundred pounds per side isn't too big of a deal, beyond that it's hard to get usable weight that isn't in the way.

My loader runs 75# cast per wheel, 75# fluid in each wheel, for 300# of wheel weight and 200# of cast on the 3pt. for a total of 500#.......too much more would be both unusable and hard on the tractor, IMHO

Kraig - Oh Great One and Keeper of the Photos - thanks for posting those pics from Tim again. I just noticed in the middle pic that Tim must like peanuts. I see several old peanut containers stacked on his bench lower shelf. I used to use old coffee cans and still have many, but it would certainly take me a long time to collect that many peanut containers. I wonder if anyone is using those Case/IH peanut containers that Charlie is selling again.
snacks.gif

Attachments

• snacks.gif
    snacks.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 126
Timmy has an interesting combination of 147, 122 and 70 going on there. 147 frame and fenders, 122 pedestal, 70 grill, hood, and steering column.....all in a gear drive....

Maybe he needs all that weight to tie that beast down!!!!!

I read in Cadet Connection of an Original (I think) that was pulling and weighted to something like 2300 pounds. It was carrying weights fore and aft and under the seat. Hmmm . . . maybe not an "O". Where's Brian Sell when I need him?
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 118
As far as how much weight can you put on Cub Cadet. On the 106 sgt I'm running 410lbs of wheel weights, 100lbs of washer fluid in the tires and 240lbs of suite case weights. plus the front end loader. It weighs in at about 1950lbs.

But as Steve pointed out, the better it hooks up the better the chance of breaking things. I pushed the side gears through two carriers and broke one axle before upgrading to the dart rear end.

So I send a NOS Original steering column to Canada and I get it back today like this! WTH!!!!
BTW, this pic is 1,110 px wide, LOL
300790.jpg

Attachments

• 300790.jpg
    300790.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 147
  • 300790.jpg
    300790.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 155
Charlie

The dogs might have smelled something fishy lol.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 139
Harry:
Earlier when I mentioned the static timing you asked if I also checked it with a light. I did today and when mark with the light is dead on the static mark is on the bottom side of the sight hole just below the edge. It may have been me turning the engine too far. It is pretty close
Earl

Just noticed, Tim has a set of front wheel weights on that beast too!

Steve, Tims beast also has super sport SS emblems on the grill,

If memory serves me right, Tim had/has more weights, but the tractor wouldn't fit thru the door with any more on the wheels......

Jbaker, Steve,
You might also want to count the fins on the block.......

Paul, is that a trick question
dizzy.gif
,, it appears to be a 7 or 8 hp, wern't they 12 finners
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 140
  • dizzy.gif
    dizzy.gif
    367 bytes · Views: 116
Jeff, look a little closer, there are more than 12, and that air cleaner has a couple of factory holes in the bottom of it. He built it for plowing........but not using all those weights.

Paul, that is cool I now see the notched frame, and rear lift with spring assist. Now I wonder did the 16 ponies come from a 169?

Last year I plowed with 1 set of IH weights, and ~#40 strapped to the bagger bracket and drawbar on my 1250. I got it too late in the season to do much more then throw on the weights and plow and some 4 link chains. Previously I used a 129 with 6 gallons of WW fluid in each tire and ~#60 on the back. Even on my (sloped 10 degree) driveway on the north side of the house, which gets plenty icy as the sun melts the top and it refreezes in the houses shade, I've had no problem in less then 6", or really wet snow falls. While I agree more weight would be better, even with our more or less twice yearly 18"+ snowfalls the problem is more the size of the blade being overwhelmed then traction. These setups were both more then adequate nearly all the time.

This year I have put about 5 gallons (~37#) of RV antifreeze in each tire and added #40 wheel weights and 2 link chains on the 1250, for blade duties. The IH weights and the rear weight (plus more) is going to the 1450 to run the snowblower when the snow gets too deep/heavy to plow in more then 1/2 passes.

Latest posts

Back