• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 02, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
well an empty page! tomorrow cub #4 will get a tune new gaskets thanks to our sponser LOl later Guys Don T

I finally got my Q42-A modified and mounted on my 782, got the pulleys properly aligned, etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to even give it a little test run on the 4-5" of snow we got, for several reasons.

1) The thrower only lifts off the ground about 1/2". I bought the lift rod off an unnamed online auction site, where it was advertised as being for this unit, but... Guess I'll just have to make one the right length. How high should the unit lift off the ground? At the current rate I sure wouldn't have needed to put the "curved arms" on it!

2) I put a new belt on and adjusted/tightened it as far as the adjuster/tightener allowed, but it's still extremely loose. (So loose that it didn't even squeal when the auger stopped turning in 2" of snow!). I repowered the tractor last year with a non-Kohler, making sure the new motor was adjusted properly front-to-rear for the clutch pulley alignment. I also used spacers under the motor to keep the driveshaft properly aligned, but that's the only thing I can think of that would prevent tightening of the belt. Thoughts?

3) No chains or weights on the rear end. On one hand it's a nice change of pace, being too light in the rear end, but... (I really thought my oversized caboose would do the trick!)

The good news is that my neighbor came over and blew out my driveway before I even got out of bed this morning!

Lip be happy you only have a belt problem could be worse.
Diggers snow dance sure did work. we had about 8 inches of the white stuff and it got warmer this afternoon and boy did it get heavy. I spent the day walking cause the cub isn't ready yet.

I noticed a trend, alot of us seem to help out the neighbor hood. Charlies right there are a lot of seniors that shouldn't be shoveling. The little old lady across the street told me her sone would come over and use the snow blower. Then he got there he I realized he is in his late 60's (she's 91). I just kept on moving snow. She sure appreciates it. The cookies are always a nice treat.
happy.gif

With cold weather here do many people use multi-grade oil 5w-30w in the old kohler engines, been using straight 30w in summer but thinking thinner oil for starting, book says 10w but hard to find, any suggestions,winter around the corner got to get the cadets ready.

Carquest and Fleet Farm around here carry straight weight oils. I would imagine that most farm and ranch type stores would. Napa probably will, any one in fleet maintenance parts should as well.

Hello forum members. I've been interested in Cubs for about 6 years. It took me this long to convince myself that even though I don't need a Cub (I live on a residential lot that I mow in 45 minutes with a push mower)I wanted a Cub. Over the past few years I've been an on and off reader of the forum; actually each time I've seen a Cub for sale down here and gotten the bug again.

Well now I've taken the plunge and as of yesterday am the owner of a 127 with a 42 inch deck. It was at a dealer and he said he took it on trade and it had been "sitting a while". It is complete but not running. One of the things I confirmed today is that gasoline turns to rancid brown syrup when it been "sitting a while". In addition I've pulled off the deck and found it to be relatively free of rust, put in a battery and got only solonoid clicks and pumped up the tires three times. Obviously lots of work ahead. I'll try to read the forum,the operators & service manuals and think through the challenges before asking questions. Glad to be here ... I think.

Paul L.
Of course this is always a good option for straight weight oil.
I just happen to know who has a case or 3 of it.
70995.jpg

hello i got a question for you. I have a blade that attaches to the quick attach on my 149 by using a plate like a mule drive plate on a mower deck. Should i make up 2 suports rods to the rock shaft? do youall need a picture?

Charlie thanks for your oil offer, I have straight 30w oil, I will pick up some 5w-30w oil to run thru winter months then go back to the straight 30w oil for summer.

Allen S.,
the 70% is typical and more common to locate. Of course the 90% is better at absorbing water from the fuel system, and wouldn't need as much per treatment. Remember: just as with any alcohol blend in a fuel system, it isn't recommended to mix it over 10% (by volume) or you may have fuel gaskets/hoses affected by the alcohol. I've used 70% rubbing alcohol for many years (16 oz bottle; 1/2 bottle = 8oz alcohol. Dump that into the Cub tank (which has an approx. 2-gal capacity) then top off with fresh mid-grade fuel). I've not had any problems with this practice and I believe it does as good a job as the more expensive 'Dry Gas' products off the shelf. In addition, I don't use the crappy, lowest priced gasoline around. I make it a point to only use Mobil, Marathon, Shell or other name brand fuel. I also only use mid-grade, I've heard horror stories about what contaminants are allowed to be dissolved into the cheap, 86 octane fuels. The same goes for my cars/trucks -- only mid-grade fuel. It works for me!
In addition, I've also used MMO mixed into my CC fuel and motor oil, for I feel a positive result: no more blue in my exhaust and it does smell better!

Dale M.,
I didn't know how your 149 (14HP) engine was fastened in; that's why I mentioned that my experiences were with a 129/K301 (10HP Kohler) which has an aluminum oil pan and the engine mounting bolts go into threaded openings in it. I stuck a small screw driver up into the threaded hole to determine it's depth and then subtracted 1/4" and that's how long of a fastening bolt I could use...
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Dave Carlson-
As Wyatt mentioned, condolences on the passing of your father.

Thank you for taking the time to preserve, and more importantly, SHARE this bit of Cub Cadet history for us. Those photos are excellent and I think I speak for all collectors when I mention how important it is for this type of information to be saved for future generations.

It's sad to think how many people in your situation have just tossed out original documentation like this just because they either didn't know or care about it's importance.

It's obvious that you care about this history with your work in retouching these photos.

Question:
I see that you live "across the pond" as they say. When your dad worked for <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>, was it in the UK, or here stateside?

Thanks again! We hope to hear more from you....
thumbsup_old.gif

Dave Carlson,
Just an echo here, but thanks a bunch for your photos. What a great resource!
I would guess that as soon as Kraig sees them and gets done drooling over his desk this morning, he'll have them snagged away ASAP.
Thank you for the work that your father and you (as "test pilot") did to have such an impact on the development of the Cub Cadet, and for sharing this info with us.

Dean: people have always tried to pay me for moving snow. They just do not realize that its more fun to me than the day the hawgs ate my baby sister.

Especially the older ladies they have learned to throw me a homemade cookie and I would move a mountain of snow for them. Here at the hospital people just can not believe that I'll spend all day out in the stuff. No phone, no worries, just humming a good tune. Oh yea!!!!

Pops

Pops -

"its more fun to me than the day the hawgs ate my baby sister."

Now THAT'S funny stuff!!!!
rofl.gif
roflol.gif
rofl.gif

mornin all , i tryed the lik for the cub pictures and can`t get a thing, is it just me ?
gallery.mac.com/clsmfmly can someone help i feel left out,, Later DonT

thanks ken, a fork lift neat. but was lost at what the 2 disk thing that laid down on the right side of the Cub ? later
coffee.gif
DonT

Latest posts

Back