• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 25, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Margaret:

Welcome. There is a spirol roll pin common to the cast iron hub (#10) and the rockshaft (#1) that must be driven out in order to get the lift rod off. You may also need to remove the fender pan assembly to get adequate clearance to drive the pin out and remove the lift handle.

It is a lot easier to do when working on the manual lift if you do pull the fender's pan. Pop that spirol pin out then put everything in a vice and reconstruct.

When putting the little trigger button back in make sure it is aligned up with the hole square. If I remember right I used a 3/8 deep well socket to set it in its place. Good time to clean the inside of your handle when apart.

Marlin: Keep up the good deeds, and watch that little kitty. Am a cat person myself. When I was on the city fire dept. before retiring; in the winter time I would bring in my 782 and keep the sidewalks clean around the fire station and do all the neighbors close by walks.

Having quite a few older ladies in the neighborhood it seems cookies would show up at the firehouse on my crews working days. I love those kinda Thank you's. LOL

Pops

Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight after work. Nice place you guys have here!

Margaret - On the "knock your fillings out", that's easy to fix ... just get'em ALL pulled out ! ;)

IMHO, dropping the deck off and putting a jack under the tractor seems easier than pulling the sheet metal and driving a spirol pin out and what's involved in putting that back together . Cleaning the lift handle, and the rest of the job can be done in either case.... but hey, that's just my opinion.
dunno.gif
old.gif

Margaret - Do You still have all the Little Bit's & pieces like #7,8,9, & 14 from Your lift lever? I had the lever & latch mechanism on My 129 apart many years ago and ALL those parts are necessary to make it work correctly. There's a crimp in tube #4 that prevents rod #5 with spring & washer #'s 7 & 8 with button #9 still attached from dropping all the way down out of the tube. Just the lock pin #14 flying out shouldn't have caused rod #5 to drop out. That's what was wrong with My 129 and a Rube Goldburg device was made to prop the mower up in transport position. Only way rod #5 could fall out if buttom #9 broke off of rod #5 where it threads on. #9 captures the spring #8 between the washer #7 sitting on the crimp in tube #4 and #9.

I had to rebuild the lever on My 72 about 4-5 yrs ago...It's a one-piece weldment, No Longer Available as a part. So I had to buy the proper size rod, thread it, install it, then heat & bend it to make it work right. Wish I had another one to work with for My 70 CC, the old wire bail they used I STILL hate after 42 yrs!

Dennis - I had problems keeping the release button (#14) on my 129 - I think lost at least two of 'em. I finally analyzed the situation, decided I didn't need any of the positions between top and bottom (floating) and took the sector (#6) off, filled all of the detents except the end ones with brass (brazed them in) and have never had any regrets..

Margaret- note that if you get the rod out of the way, you can still mow with it - the "snail" height adjuster (11 and 12)is there for setting your "down" mowing height... you just wouldn't be able to pick the deck up and lock it in a transport position..

Well, I'm pretty sure I still have all the parts at the top of the lift handle. It was the thumb button bouncing off the mower deck that caught my eye. I can still see the spring in there and I'm hopeful the rest is intact.

Actually you're right Kendall, I did finish mowing with the handle detached. I only discovered the real problem when I couldn't raise the deck!

I'm reconsidering knocking out the spirol pin part though - I don't have many tools at the house right now. Is the spirol pin the coil type or the slotted pin type? Are they difficult to remove/install? Thanks!

Welcome Margaret.

Allen S. the local COOP owns the elvator in the background. Angel took the pics on the town's property that we mow. Nice little hill there. I'll look into the child carrier for Fancy. He checks each Cub over when I open the garage doors and then when I am done and they are cool he will do a walk around inspection. He is one cool kitty.

KENDELL - On My 129 with the missing button the tab where the lift link to the blade or snow blower attached on the lift lever a steel LEG about 7-8" long bolted on with a point ground into it that dropped into a notch cut into the footrest A little tab welded onto it to lift up with Your toe to lower the deck was My lock pin. I too only had the top & bottom postions. I know 18 yrs ago CC was pretty proud of the parts to rebuild the lever. But at least they still made them. Only thing I think left for the NF tractors is the parts common with the WF tractors.

Latest posts

Back