982 Stopped working

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
Hey. I was cutting some tall grass with my Cub Cadet 982 with an Onan engine and it started getting really hot. I stopped mowing and let it idle for a few minuets then shut it down. It will not start now. I drug it into the shop and I can't get any spark. any suggestions as to what might be wrong. What did I fry?

-everettdale

Everett:

Attached, is a Wiring Diagram to aid you in diagnosing your problem.

Things to check are:
(A) The 15A Fuse
(B) The Seat Switch
(C) The PTO Switch

If that all checks out OK, then check....
(A) The Condenser
(B) The HV Coil

152211.jpg

All the safety switches (that aren't bypassed
wink.gif
) are fine and the fuses are good. The engine cranks with no trouble. I'm just getting no spark. I assume that "HV coil" stands for High Voltage coil and I was going to check it out, but I don't really know how to test it. Do I look for resistance across the windings? and if so what reading should I get? And how do you test the condenser.

thanks for the help

-everettdale

Everett:

The condenser can be checked if you have a Capacitor Checker. If not, they are cheap enough just simply replace it.

I have NO information on the Onan HV Coil spec's.
I would "assume" that it is similar to a Kohler double HV coil as found in a 782. Here is a Diagram for that.....
152242.jpg

There is going to be some resistance on the Primary Side of the Coil ( + to - ). Also a resistance value for the Secondary Side ( - to the Tower). No resistance or infinity to case ground.

That is the best I can tell you without a Onan Manual.

Thanks for the help. But guess what

I removed the air cleaner and took the metal cover off the points/condenser and had a look inside. everything looked normal, so I decided to crank the engine over to see if the points were moving correctly and the engine fired right off. Scared the c**p out of me.
yikes.gif
as it turns out the wire from the coil to the points was worn or melted through and was grounding on the cover. problem solved.

I love it when it's a 28 cent fix.

-everettdale

Latest posts

Back