• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

70 127 clean-up

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elincoln

displayname
Edward H Lincoln
I've been working on the 127, sandblasting a bunch of parts. I'm going to leave the trans-axle, frame and pedestal alone for now. I still need to blast, 4 wheels, seat, and the bottom of the fender deck.
I built this blast cabinet 8 years ago. It's made from 5 sheets of 1/2" ply wood. The air is supplied by a 175cfm Ingersoll rand with a 4cyl gas engine.
238330.jpg

Ed,

Cool: I would love to see some drawings of your cabinet, or some more pictures. I just got a decent compressor, I didn't know that building a blast cabinet was an option --I thought my choices were limited to those available at Tractor Supply or similar outlets.

I will post a picture of the cabinet. I sort of cheated on the design. A friend has a commercial cabinet but he wants everything put into the cabinet almost clean before it goes in. I measured how far the arm holes were off the floor and the height of the window. I don't like opening the door on the end of a commercial cabinet. My home-made cabinet, the entire top opens.

Ed i wish i had made one like yours years ago ,cleaning parts is the pits .David

Yikes, I would not have sandblasted the engine. I can almost guarantee that you managed to get sand into it somewhere despite your best efforts not to. I would take that engine apart and run everything through a parts washer before running it.

Also, sandblasting aluminum parts like the head, bearing plate, etc is not a good idea because it will really roughen the surface and create all kinds of stress risers that can, and probably will, initiate cracks.

I posted the engine picture just to get a comment from a ex-spurt. If I hadn,t built this cabinet 8 years ago I would not have bought any tractors. I aint sanding or painting over rust.

There are much safer ways to remove paint from an engine. It's your tractor to do as you please with, but you risk damaging the engine by sandblasting it. Same story for the rearend.

The four wheels are the last of the parts that need to be blasted. I'm sure glad the inside of the wheels still had paint on them or I would have junked them. I used Ace paint stripped on the fender deck before sand blasting. The only part of the fender deck with rust was in the tool box and under the foot pads. I use 30 grit silica sand, it's pretty gentle.
238674.jpg

238675.jpg

I got most of the small items cleaned up and ready to prime. I hope to have all the stripped and blasted items painted by next weekend.
239217.jpg

Ed,
Your having way too much fun sandblasting. Even the coil??? Everything looks great. Good luck with your priming and painting

The car is a 59 Ford 2dr Hardtop, purchased in August 1970 as is for $325.It's been driven about 5k miles in the last 42 years. I live about 4 miles from the Good guys event at the Puyallup fairgrounds

I decided to take the whole tractor apart, I missed the date June 23 to get it back together. It rained alot in May and June. I still need to clean-up the hydro rear end.
241255.jpg

Edward "Hot Rod" Lincoln - I didn't notice your refurb post before. Looks like your 127 is coming along nicely. Hope you got some primer on that stuff. How come you're using that '59 Ford for a shelf? I'm gonna have to get a look at your set up some time when I can get down that direction.

Harry; There is a lot of stuff/junk in this garage, to much. Most of the parts for the 127 except for the trans-axle are ready to prime. I hope to get the painting done by the weekend.
241625.jpg

I finaly got to open the can of iron guard that I bought 4 months ago. It seems to be nice and glossy. I still need to paint the large parts. With the warm weather and the hardener the paint dries pretty fast.
241869.jpg

I have everything painted except the trans-axle, these parts were painted today.
242079.jpg

242080.jpg

I stuck the 127 back together so I could cover it up and keep the overspray from 2 Case tractors off of the parts. It looks pretty good now.

242162.jpg

Ed, reminds me of the tractors they sold in the 80's to farmers. No seat cause they'd all lost thier asses, no steering wheel cause they didn't know which way to turn.

Back