• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

682 knocking question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmeyer

displayname
michael meyer
ok guys - here is a good one for ya:

i have a 682 with kohler kt17s series 1 in it.

the motor makes knocking noise (ya swear the rods are gonna exit soon). i know this is not uncommon, BUT - if i take the tension off of the pto belt, the motor is quiet as can be. no knocking at all.
let the belt tensioner tighten the belt again, and the knocking comes back... (note: this is all with the pto switch off, deck not running)

still indicative of bad rods, or do i need to look at somthing else?

thanks all!!

Michael, from what I hear, you're lucky to be hearing the knock. The previous owner of my 782 told me that all he heard before his Series I failed, was "tick, tick, boom!" and it was done!

If I were you, I would park it, pull the engine, and either go through it thoroughly, or better, replace it entirely with a Series II or a Magnum 18, or any other power plant that has an oil pump. I went with an M18, even though I had to buy an entire tractor to get it. I don't regret it, its a great engine and accepts many of the Series I bolt-ons, like exhaust manifolds and mufflers, and most importantly, driveshaft linkages.

Just my two cents.
smile.gif

Michael,

I'd say it's the rods. Sometimes it won't make noise until you put a load on it. How many hours do you have on that engine?

its got about 1100 hours on it - ive still been using it every week to mow, but i think i will stop now since the knocking (especially at idle) is getting a bit concerning. :D

id looove to put and M18 or M20 into this tractor, but not having much luck finding complete engines at all...

i could always go with the new kt17qs from small engine warehouse, but thats a bit $1700 to drop at once...
happy.gif

Michael, the M18 motors go fast, you've got to stay parked on the classifieds on this site; I've seen two or three come up over the last twelve months. I found mine on Craig's List by searching on "Kohler."

Have you inspected the ball bearing in the electric clutch? Since you indicated the noise stops when the belt load is removed, I would start there before I would do anything more radical.

Latest posts

Back