• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

5' X 8' Utility Trailer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
I'm in the process of getting some supplies together for a 5' X 8' trailer build and would apprecaite any thoughts.

Yes, I know it's going to be cheaper to just go out and BUY a trailer, but I already have a 58" wide Dexter #3,500 axle, springs, hubs, 15" wheels, and tires, most of which was basically free. I already picked up some "flat top" fenders, and just have to pick up the steel, a 45deg-coupler, and a set of trailer lights.

The purpose of this post is to hear your thoughts on the choice of steel used to build this trailer. I'd like to build something like this pictured below, but without the ramp, and without the short steel "railing" around it. I'd rather have stake pockets with a classic 'wooden fence' around it. (removable)

299501.jpg

I've scoured quite a few plans and came to the realization that most of these plans use angle iron for the structure of the trailer, so the short railings are a part of the structure of the trailer and stiffen (truss) what would otherwise be a floppy mess.

My thought is to build the main frame of the trailer from 3" channel iron like this (except placed on placed on edge):

299502.jpg

My reasoning for the use of channel is that (I think) it's more stiff, but I "aint no engineer" so would love your thoughts. This trailer doesn't need to be super heavy duty, like I said I'm just building it because we already have most of the stuff for it. (and a welder!) I figure 5'X8' is also a good size to tow behind a small/mid-size tractor for hauling things around the yard. I know channel is heavier than angle, but if I can get away without the upper structure, it may actually be lighter.

Any thoughts you have are apprecaited.

Art, I had a project trailer that was an old boat trailer that used the same 'C' - channel steel you show, flipped 90 degrees like you want to. (taller than wider)
It's rating was 2550 pounds on the manufacturer plate that was left. It measured 2 inches by 4 inches I believe. I gave it to a friend to finish and can get more info and pictures if you want. It's still not finished, but only needs the deck and lights installed so it will show the structure nicely.
Following your thoughts is what I had planned to do originally, but had no time or place to. That and another friend sold me his double axle 7.5'x16' equipment trailer at a good price. Mine was going to be a 6'x12'. You should be fine hauling it behind a garden tractor. I had old free plywood on mine(6x12) for a couple of years for yard use and used my 1200 with no problem. Another thing you will want to think about is axle position. I've seen them in the middle of the deck area, and also set back further. My 4x8 was split evenly and the 6x12 was set back further like the trailer you posted. My 4x8 also had a tilt deck and the tongue bolted directly to the axle for pivoting. I also loved using the 4x8 more behind the 1200 for size and the tilting factor, made dumping brush easier. It doesn't look like you will have a tilt, but having the axle spaced evenly front to back under the load area, 4 feet in front of and behind the center of the axle, with only the tongue to make it longer in the front you will be happy. I was.

Art

C channel will make a stronger trailer and helps with undercoating also . There should be nowhere for water to get trapped and rust from the inside like box iron. Best material to use in my opinion !
construction.gif

I built a trailer in the early '70's using 3" channel on edge. It worked really well.
I was building it for a chevy long bed box.
I used 1/4x2 strap iron across where the PU box mounts were, a 3' square tube tongue, early thoughts were for a tilt, but settled on solid, non tilt. Later we put a camper shell on it and used for deer hunting.

Presently, I am thinking of building a small trailer for around the house, 4x8 is out due to getting around the wife's many flowers, trees and terrain due to weight and lack of decent brakes on my 1200. A 3x5 or 6' is more in line for a garden tractor IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I do appreciate it.

I'll keep you posted as the build progresses.

If you ever plan on putting it on the road, bias the axle to the rear of center......centered "tip trailers" bob tail all over at speed, especually if you have little choice in load placement and get it tail heavy.....

My 7.5 x 18 is built on 4" channel. ....plenty strong for my use. Car haulers are built on 5" channel.

Steve-
Yes, definately doing 55-60% axle bias to the rear. Don't like the tail wagging the dog... BTDT!!

You are correct, our "car hauler" trailer is built on 5" channel.

It sounds like I'm going to be going with 3" channel to keep it balanced between being relatively light, yet strong enough to not flop around like a cheap snowmobile trailer unless someone chimes in with a differnet thought.

Hope to pick up steel next weekend. (PD this weekend!)

I'd join you at the PD, but this weekend is Metamora band invitational. ....as a "band dad" I am on duty to support the event (hauling drum line equipment instead of tractors on my trailer).

Little did I know, when Steven joined the band, so did I !!!!!!

Lots of fun though, great experience for the kids!

Made some progress on the trailer build...

Two weekends ago I picked up the steel. Three 20" sticks of 2"X3/16" channel, and 1 stick of 3lb (same as 3") channel. ($186)

299901.jpg

Last weekend I spent Saturday cutting and welding, and ended up with this:

299902.jpg

8'6" long and 58" wide. Cross braces are 16" on-center.

299903.jpg

Very nice! I haven't been able to take picks of the one trailer, but you are doing nicely! I also like the bigger trailer, I have the same from the same sales place! You will be very happy I'm sure of the finished product.

Art, very nice! May I ask where you bought the steel?

Kraig-
The steel came from a place called Discount Steel in N.E. Mpls. The place is awesome. They have every imaginable dimension you could need, they are very organized. They were amazing at customer service as well. As competitive as the market is, I have to think that their prices are comparable as well.

Got a project brewing?

Looking good Art,

Since you're going low sides make sure you incorporate plenty of strength adding gussets and cross bracing....remember....triangles, triangles, triangles.
If you do the tongue like your example trailer it really beefs it up. I would lean towards doubling the frame ahead of the axle myself.
Even light gauge bracing in the right places changes a lot.

Good project.....I was starting to wonder if forum members still owned welders!

To add to Rick's comments, Take the tounge all the way back to the spring shackles and consider some 2" angle around the bottom of the frame on the front corners (makes a great place to mount lights and gives extra strength to the area that will twist the most).

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My plan is to run 3" channel back to the front spring shackles. The standard 50-deg angled couplers are too wide to take that channel stock back in a straight line. The tongue would be too short, so it's going to have a "bend" in it like this. Keep the thoughts coming!!

299910.jpg

Nice trailer plan Art. Now would be a good time to weld some electrical conduit in place for your wiring later. I done that on mine and it really protects wires when using it in woods.

I second what Luther wrote about running the lighting wire in conduit! On the snowmobile trailer my FIL and I built back in 1989 I used PVC conduit for the wiring and that was the most trouble free trailer, electrically speaking, that I have ever used before or since. I retired it a few years back and the lights were still working perfectly. Another thing I did was I used a 5pin round receptacle on the trailer, see photo below, so I could change out the trailer to vehicle wire easily as we used it with multiple vehicles. Or remove it for use around the farm with a tractor. I made a couple of interconnect cables with different plugs on the one end, one was 5 pin round to 4 inline, the other was 5 pin round to 5 pin round.

299912.jpg

Baby-steps...

Got the axle welded in and picked up the wheels/tires. It's nice to have a "roller" now.

300130.jpg

Now that we know how high the trailer is, I was able to confirm that the A-frame style coupler will work, so that got ordered last night. Hopefully will have time to weld the tongue on this next weekend.

Art, baby steps are better than no steps. It's starting to look like a trailer.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, I have a project idea brewing, well more like simmering...

Latest posts

Back