• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2186 CC rear wheel traction

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbrault

displayname
Leonard Brault
Tractor gets stuck easily in snow with left rear wheel spinning without noticeable traction being applied by the right wheel. Don't believe this was the case in prior years. Is there something wrong in the differential? In a previous tractor with callibar brakes I was able to brake the left rear wheel to get traction from the other wheel. I cannot do this with the 2186 model (no callibar brakes}. I can't believe how easily I get stuck and how difficult to get unstuck once the left wheel starts spinning. Any solution? Thanks.

help Adding weights didn't solve the problems. Now stuck , can't even get back to the barn. What is involved in getting into the differential. Will I loose the hydraulic oil when I open up the differential? Should I call the repair people?

Leonard-
I don't know much about the 2186, but I'd doubt there is anything "wrong" with the differential. Just like in a car or truck without posi-traction one wheel should spin while the other just sits there with an "open" differential.

If you're having traction issues, I would first look toward adding weight, if that doesn't solve the issue (it usually won't by itself) then you'll also need to add something more aggressive to "grip" the surface. I prefer tire chains. My guess is that with wheel weights and tire chains you'll go where-ever you want with that tractor without the slippage you're seeing.

Questions: How deep is the snow you're going through? What type of slope are you on? Is the surface icy underneath?

Leonard,

Art is correct. there is nothing wrong with the diff. An open diff like your tractor has sends all of the torque to the wheel with the least traction. Your only option is weight and chains as Art suggested or rigging up turning brakes so you can individually brake the wheel with the least traction and make the other wheel drive the tractor.

Now Unstuck. Jack up the spinning left wheel and inserted a two by four underneath. Back up easily afterwards. Previously left wheel with chains and additional weights was spinning down to the dirt with still not enough traction. Glad it is not the differential. Thanks for your help.

Back