• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1978 Scout Access Problem!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie:
Not quite clear , but I think those are from a AIR air injection system (remember smog pumps??).. Use to plug Chevy exhaust manifolds with 1/8" pipe plugs if you were able to unscrew the fittings
clappy.gif
)..

All the Scout snowplow pics remind of of back in late 60s as a kid my old old neighbor asked me to ride along while he plowed. Reason why ? I was the power angle for the blade.

If you use 1/8" pipe plugs in the manifold ports, they have a tendency to chirp. Quite a few IH engines had ported manifolds with the correct plugs installed from the factory. I believe they're a standard hydraulic part, but I'd have to do some measuring. IIRC, there are tubes extending into the port that also need to be removed, but I may be crossing up IH with Chevy...it's been a while since I messed with smog pumps on either.

BTW, unported exhaust manifolds are readily available.

Jerry

Charlie,

I've been studying the shift rail & interlock functions on the Dana 20. One rail & shift fork control the rear output. The other rail & fork control the front output. The service manual lists a bent shift fork as a possible cause of difficulty shifting into 4WD, but I don't think that's your problem. If the front output shift fork was bent, it should still go into either 4-HI or 4-LO. The manual suggests greasing the shifter pivot pit. I don't see that solving your problem, but it can't hurt. There's a grease zerk on the end of the pivot pin.

If that truck has been sitting for a long time, or if it's been driven but not shifted out of 2wd, I'm thinking that the interlock pins are stuck in their bores. Neither of the pins has to move to shift between 2-HI and neutral, but one has to move for 4-HI and the other has to move for 4-LO.

I'd lock the hubs and drive down the road at 15-20 mph while trying to pull the shifter into 4-HI. Even better is have a co-pilot try to pull the shifter. They can get pretty stiff if not used for a while and they're easier to pull from the passenger's seat.

You don't want to have to dissasemble the shift rods and forks. The set screws come out way easier than they go back in.

Once it's freed up, it should be easy to shift in and out of 4-HI while moving as long as the hubs are locked. It won't shift on the fly easily with the hubs in AUTO because the front axle isn't rotating in that case. With the hubs locked, I've have no trouble shifting smoothly at highway speeds.

Jerry

Jerry I got my 4x4 (83 dodge 3/4) really cheap cause the kid I bought it from was convinced pulling the guts out of one locking hub had nothing to do with it not having four wheel drive.
Charlie have you put it up in the air yet to see what is moving or not?

Dave R.
Nope, It's been to freakin cold to mess with it since I got it running/moving.
We're supposed to get close to zero next week. I'll play a little with it then.
biggrin.gif

Charlie; Close to O? We have 12 this morning and i think that is cold. We are supposed to stay below 30 for the next 10 days. I couldn"t survive the temps up there.

It was cold this morning at my house and I bet it was a bit colder up at Charlie's place.
icon_eek.gif

183382.jpg

Yes, that says -21.8 F.

The earlier comments about Scouts vs. Jeeps reminded me of this. My father told me about the 1963 deer hunting season when he had to pull out an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Scout with his 1956 Willys Station Wagon. The Scout belonged to a hunting buddy's son. I'm willing to bet that it had more to do with the condition of the tires than with the drive train but ya never know. As the story goes, when it was time to head home after the deer season they were loaded up and the Scout couldn't make it up a hill, the Jeep had no problem making it up on it's own or with the Scout in tow. The home movie I captured these photos from was taken at the old hunting shack during the 1964 Wisconsin deer season. No good movie or photos of the two vehicles together from the 1963 season, the movie of the 1963 season that I have was taken the first weekend before it snowed that season. I did take two photos of the Jeep from that little bit of movie from 1963, one of my father's older twin brothers is on the left, the father of the Scout owner on the right. I'd sure like to have both these vehicles in the condition they were in back in 1964.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

183598.jpg

183599.jpg

183600.jpg

It doesn't show up to well in the above photo but that's a coyote on the left side of the Jeep roof.

183601.jpg

Kraig: While probably true as far as it goes, I'm betting that there are several key parts of that story missing. All due respect to our elders, but my father could tell 'em like that also - just tell the parts you like..:)-}>.... Shows-to go-you, there is truth in the old adage: "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" !

Myron B

Myron, perhaps, however the story was retold on many subsequent deer hunting trips with the same cast of characters that were there back in '63 and none of them disputed it.
dunno.gif
I'm still thinking "tires"... I do know that the 1958 Willys Station Wagon that I had was good in snow, that is unless it dropped through deep hard pack and sat on the frame.
183642.gif
Ummm, on that occasion it took a 30 foot run with a 40' snap strap with my friend's late 1970's vintage GMC Jimmy to free it.
blush.gif
That happened one spring when I was out playing around in the small but deep patches of snow on the family farm.
Shift.gif

Circa spring 1984.
blush.gif

183662.jpg

183663.jpg

183664.jpg

Ah to be young and foolish again, rather than old and <strike>foolish</strike> WISE.
happy.gif

Dave, well these photos were taken a couple of days after I got the Willys stuck, my friend was not with when I got stuck. Those couple of days didn't help as the frame froze to the snow.
bash.gif
My father tried to pull it out with his 1977 Wagoneer all 4 tires were spinning on that and the Willys didn't budge, you can see the ruts and dirt from that attempt in the top photo. My friend tried his 10,000 LB pull Ramsey winch first but it pulled his Jimmy up and over the chock blocks! I thought I was going to have to get one of my cousin's <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> tractors but the snap strap did the trick. Lesson learned.
happy.gif

Charlie, sorry for the thread theft.

sorry.gif

Kraig,
Thats why it is advisable to carry a shovel with any 4 wheel drive, so you can dig your way out of trouble.<font size="-2">or into more trouble</font>

Our first Wagoneer ('74) taught me a couple of things quickly..
1: You could get there quicker on slippery roads, but couldn't stop any faster (and it was a Pinto sedan that was in front of me)

2: Don't two track in 4WD, cause when you went just a leetle too far, you didn't have 6WD to back yerself out...

Back