• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1978 Scout Access Problem!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor)
Well I would have to ask is the lever for 4x4 a cable or linkage???? I know my Jeep was a bitch if I didn`t use it enuf to keep it working.

I remember this Scout story from the late 1970's. A local tavern proprietor owned a Scout; one night he & a tractor trailer driver (and bar patron) made a wager (if memory serves me, I think it was in the $300 - $400 range, pretty good chunk of change at the time) that the barkeeper's Scout could pull the tractor trailer on level ground if the tractor was in neutral. The barkeeper said the Scout would move it, tractor trailer driver said he couldn't. Well, outside we go to watch.....Scout hooks up and actually does move the tractor trailer; made the tractor trailer driver mad (yes, alcohol was involved) and he pulled the air brakes on before the Scout stopped pulling. Cost the barkeeper more to have the Scout's transmission repaired than he won on the bet.

Yeah, those old cases you can actually get into rear wheel drive low if the interlock pills don't engage right.

Charlie, you may have to get the rig to roll a little while trying to shift into 4 HI. It may not actually be back all the way.

No, Scouts don't come with lockers from the factory. Unless someone installed differential lockers like Detroits, it'll still spin the tire with the least traction and the opposite tire will just sit there. If you had a locker in the front unless it's a soft locker it's very hard to turn even on loose slippery ground.

Charlie

That truck sat a long time. Now I would start it(the engine) apply the parking brake and pull that auto to low and let it warm up.then try 4x4 . those old trucks sometimes will shift in better backing up lol
did you check tire size and air pressure, if not try back up lol

Here's what I have on the fronts.
183284.jpg

Don T.
Parking brake?
Surely you jest, LOL
That's long gone along with the rear main brake line, speedometer cable, hood release cable and a few other cables that probably ended up stuck to some tree stump.
biggrin.gif

Keith L: No lockers from the Factory?? I'm not an expert on what came from the factory but my Scout II Service Manual contains a chapter,CTS-2568T, on the IH POWR-LOK Differential. Sounds to me like they did.

Myron B

Keith L.
Oh believe me, I tried every combination I could think of while I had it moving. Forwards, backa$$wards, fast & slow and everything in between.
If we can get above 0 in the next days or so, I might take the blade off and see what I can find.
I've got a set of ice chains on the way and I've got 600 pounds of extra wheel weights off the 1066 if it comes to that.

I could do like my grandpa used to do with his ole 1200 pickup. Light a fire, let it burn down to hot coals and push it over it for a while.
clappy.gif

Charlie ,,, lol a nice set of spicer lockers that are great lockers. did you at least grease them. hehe

Charlie If you do try this Back up moving the front wheels left and right. I had to do that to get out of 4x4 lol . It can`t work unless you clean and lub it lol. I`am
poof.gif

Charlie, That brought back a memory, My dad used to talk about setting up a couple pieces of tin and starting a fire with corn cobs under the engine, to get a tractor started in the 30's and 40's. Has this thing got air conditioning?

Charlie:
At least you've got something understandable to work with..the wife's '01 Sportrac with "shift on the fly" goes into 4 wheel high when it "feels like it". Sometimes setting still, sometimes you have to be rolling slowly, sometimes in neutral....they tell me the shift fork (driven by an electric motor, which is driven by the GEM - general electronics module) is flimsy and may be bent... I want our old '74 full size Wagoneer back.. we pulled my dad's 12/60 mobile home out of here in the spring over soft ground (we were hooked to the dealer's "tug" which was OK on paved roads, but crap on soft ground). I've got video of that pull - that old AMC 360 had GUTS..

No one else mentioned anything about the fashionable pattern on the interior door skins of the scout
clappy.gif

I remember about 23 years ago my buddy had a scout that we took "trail blazing" all the time it was very dependable. It was white with black interior.

Charlie, Jeff B: I'm anxious to see that interior. Mine is just solid black. Seats are in pretty good condition.. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the door panels. Another one of those "round tuits".... I don't recall seeing anything in the literature I have about "decorator" patterns on the interior, but given the "hi-style, cool fool " exterior decals that were available, along with those white deep-dish "cat's meow" wheels, I won't be surprised.

Myron B

Kieth L, Myron, I had a 66 3/4 ton. There was a tin plaque on the dash that warned it had a spool differential installed at the factory. It was dangerous to drive in rain or snow empty. So, I know they had at least one type of locking differential.
Charlie, The one picture shows a vent at the bottom of the dash, thats why I asked about air conditioning.

Dave R: Looks just like the A/C unit in mine. There is no room behind the dash on these Scouts for the A/C, so it's an under-the-dash unit.

Myron B

Here's my fancy 70's seats, LOL
183294.jpg

183295.jpg

Now the next question is, since I don't have my manuals yet.
WTH are these tubes that come off the exhaust manifold?
One has been filled with solder and the other is wide open and needs to be plugged.
183296.jpg

183297.jpg

The parts lookups I've found online are really lacking, sigh!

Back