• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1978 Scout Access Problem!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I had a neighbor that needed a little help from my forklift so I went and did it. He asked what he owed me, I told him nothin.
Well the next day, he came pulling in with this 78 Scout and Meyer blade.
Dumped it off and drove away, LOL
He called after he got home and said PAID IN FULL A$$HOLE, and just chuckled.
NOW,
The question is and I know we have some pretty sharp Scout lurkers on here.
HTH do I get the hood open on this sucker?
The cable is long gone and with the hood opening from the windshield out, I can't see how to get in there to unlatch the dang thing.
182329.jpg

182330.jpg

Charlie-
I think you just start prying at it with a screw-driver. I see you already started at the grill end of the hood, but now that you've realized it opens from the windshield end, maybe you should try there...

BTW... I'm glad to see the neighbors are learning your name, but have you told him that you really prefer if he'd use "Mr." preceeding it?
clappy.gif

Kraig,
The grill was like that when it arrived/dumped off.
I knew when I saw it, which way the hood opened.
I thought about cuttin a hole in the hood, but I hate to, since it's the ONLY good piece of sheet metal on the whole thing. LOL

I think if it were me, I'd call (or drive over on the forklift) and ask the guy if HE had a method. Hmmm, what would Wilbur do?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I didn't think that had a cable, I thought it was a handle and rod a little toward the middle from the drivers seat.

Charlie...There's a knob on the dash just above the tunnel/gear shift. Pull on that and the hood will pop up from the cowl. The hold-the-hood-up latch is located near the right front of the hood.
The battery is located at the left front.

Myron B
with a good running 79 Scout II
182343.jpg

I guess I should have been a little more specific.
biggrin.gif

I know where it's supposed to be, and how it's supposed to work, BUT, there's nothin there guys.
There's a nice hole in the dash where it used to be though, LOL
There's also nothing under the fender wells that looks like someone made a makeshift cable to open that sucker up.
I spose I better pull it inside and sacrifice a fender/fender well and get at that stupid thing.
clappy.gif

Charlie: Come Daylight and a bit of warmth, I'll open my hood and try to see where/how the latch can be finagled into opening for you... Never had to be concerned with it on mine...Will post in the late a.m. Central.

Myron

Neat find Charlie. There is a place in Ft. Dodge, Iowa and and one in Ames, Iowa that both rebuild Scouts. I drive past the one in Ames every now and then.

Marlin-
Think the Scout Connection is located in Ft. Madison, IA. My wife grew up there, so I remember my shock when we visited there once and I "found" this place that was full of <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Scouts.

Hey Charlie...

There's hope!! Take a good look at the attached photo. See the tang which has the cable attached...If you pull down on it, you should be able to pop the hood...The tang should be visible from underneath on the right side of the transmsison housing.

Ya just gotta be a good fisherman and get a hook in that little ole hole... G'luck!!

Myron
182373.jpg

Well we decided to pull the Scout inside today.
I finally got the hood open. (Thanks again Myron for the pic on the location)
183123.jpg

Looks to pretty much complete except for the dipstick laying across the hoses on on the top right, LOL
183124.jpg

183125.jpg

Of course it took some drastic measures to get at it. And even with that, I still had to use a pipe to reach in and release it.
183126.jpg

But hey, a fender well and fender and it will be good to go. That is if it runs. I gotta go buy a battery tomorrow. I hooked it up to the battery charger and everything but the fancy rotating light works!

Charlie,

What's the line (can't tell if it's a hose or pipe) that's passing under the coolant bypass hose? I've never seen anything like it. Is it a hydraulic line for the plow? Speaking of hydraulic pump, is it electric, engine driven, or PTO driven? That appears to be the reservoir on the fire wall.

Jerry

Jerry M.
If it looks like it doesn't belong, it's part of the hydraulics for the blade. And yes, that the tank for the pump and it's engine driven.
I'll take more pics.
Whats funny is, I took the fender/fender well off and the jack and handle were setting right where they should be. LOL

Hi Charlie... Great..glad you got it open... Now the fun begins... I strongly recommend you get a Scout II Service Manual (2 volumes). I also recommend that you try to find an original IH version. I've got a Navistar reprint and while the text, diagrams and drawings, etc., are fine, the photo's suck.

Had to replace the alternator on mine this week. It is mounted under the A/C bracket so you have to work "blind" to remove and/or install. Talk about 3 hours of PITA... The PO lost the jack and handle on mine...so I'm looking. When the budget recuperates, gotta replace those god-awful noisy mud tires that are on it though ... It's even worse than riding in the back of an old Army Deuce-and-half... The PO thought he was a Louisiana swamp rat...

Charlie..Take a good look at the P/S mounting... I had to install a brace-plate along the frame...bad design from IH here...the Scout parts places have these brace plates and even complete across-the-frame braces. The frame brace-plate fixed mine but with that plow having been on there on there, you may need the across-the-frame brace... Actually, either is fairly simple to install. Highly recommended you check this out <u>before</u> you take it for a spin....

Myron

It's alive! LOL
I setup a drip system for the carb and with a new battery and a little cleaning up of the points, it fired off today.
I have to replace a section of gas line, the battery tray and I think I'll be good to go.
The P/S bracket is solid as a rock. Thanks for the tip Myron.

Charlie, on the P/S mounting I think what Myron is referring to is the frame where the steering gear is mounted. It's a very weak point. I've pulled steering boxes off more than one and found the frame rail looking like shards of glass between the bolt holes. Have someone hold the brakes and turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for frame flex around the steering box.

Myron, I'm pretty sure I have spare jacks and handles. Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested and I'll get pics. I'm in the process of a major garage cleaning and I'm trying to clear out some of the accumulation of stuff I know I'm never going to need. I have more Scout II and IH pickup parts than any one man can use in two lifetimes.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back