• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1978 Scout Access Problem!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing 4 wheel drive does is get you farther into the hole.

Yea, but it's a lot more fun gettin there!
clappy.gif

Lonny, in this case the shovel I had with was not of much use, the snow was hard pack and the Willys was setting on the frame. I high lift jack might have helped.
dunno.gif
Had I been out in the middle of nowhere I would have tried harder with the shovel, it was easier to walk back to the house for help.

Charlie,
happy.gif

For all you Scout and IH Truck owners... On 10 Dec 09, I mailed a request along with a $20.00 Money Order to the IH archives at the U of Wis.,to obtain a Line Setting Ticket for my 79 Scout II. I GOT IT TODAY !! 12 Jan 10.

Navistar, who had been providing the Line Setting Tickets from their Microfilm Library, transferred all the IH Scout/Truck Line Setting Microfilm to the U of Wis, IH Archives...So, that's now where you get them. Given their resources, the +/- 30-day wait is reasonable IMHO.

Requests should be mailed to:

Wisconsin Historical Society
McCormick-International Harvester Collection
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1482

along with the IH Scout or Truck Serial (VIN) Number and a $20.00 Money Order.

Myron B

Nice! And for way less money than a brand new generic SUV.

The REALLY nice one is in this month's Hot Rod mag.. Real fau wood grain and a really nice drivetrain..

Kendell, I was just rereading some posts here and got the part about the Pinto.
icon_eek.gif
184399.gif

We had a pair of 'em too, my dad had one of the "MPG's with a 1600 Anglia engine and we had a station wagon... My kids wouldn't take either one when they got their licenses...(although my son has my dad's '79 Turbo Cobra, which isn't totally engineered differently, although the gas tank was mounted differently...

OK, here's a random <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Scout question...

Does anybody here have any documentation (or seat of the pants experience) as to how much weight a Scout will tow?

Not to be a smart dink but it really depends on the individual scout

OK Art... Now, if you would just read your Owners Manual :)-}>....

Mine '79 ScoutII manual sez:

Weight Limits MAXIMUM

Unbraked = 2,000 lbs
Gross combination weight with unbraked trailer = 7200 lbs

Braked trailer = 5,000 lbs
Gross combination weight with braked trailer = 10,000 lbs.

Trailers weighing more than 2,000 lbs must have brakes on all wheels.

Important: Maximum veicle capacity must not be exceeded when adding trailer tongue load!

Myron B

Art, I don't recommend this, but I've seen it with my own eyes...twice, about 25 years ago. I've seen a '78 Terra tow a 24' bumper pull equipment trailer (heavy one with flat deck, tandem 8,000 lb axles) with a small IH backhoe on it. It was only about an 8 mile haul with no hills except the driveway. I'm sure the empty trailer would have exceeded the recommended towing capacity.

I've come close losing control of a Scout II pulling another Scout II on a car trailer. It was strapped by the axles instead of by the frame. A dip on the edge of a very narrow highway started the truck bouncing back-and-forth on the trailer which started making the tow Scout weave badly. I've always strapped to the frame since then.

Jerry

Myron-
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I don't have an owner's manual because I don't actually own a Scout.

<font size="-2">(YET!!!)</font>
biggrin.gif

Jerry-
Yikes!
yikes.gif

I hope I don't get poofed for this. Check out the scout madness site. He has pictures of when he went to pick up his new F250. Loaded it on a trailer and hauled it home behind his Scout.

You were looking for links heres one then follow the link there for the rest of the story. It's just anouther 4 cylinder diesel binder.
4bt swaps

Digger & other Scout Owners: http://www.scoutmadness.com/

My experience with this guy wasn't favorable. But then, I'm not too fond of "water walking prima donnas" anyhow. He does have some stuff you may want but just be aware of the attitude you may encounter... I found out about all that when he carelessly shipped me a wrong part...I guess I was supposed to just suck it up and not complain and want the correct part. I shop elsewhere now.

Myron B
with a 79 ScoutII

Attitude?? I noticed an attitude. But not any different from some on other sites I've been on. Hmmm. He was very helpful when we had questions about putting an MV 446 in our IH pickup. Talked in length with Pat about MVs and LVs, whether they would fit, were worth the time or worth the money. Or if we should just build a Ferd or cheby. Heck, anybody can do those. Working on IH pickups and Scouts teach you alot about yourself. Important things like how mad I can get. How far I can throw a wrench. How much blood I can lose. Kinda like Cub Cadets. But the reward is like nothing else. Attitude.. Heck, I got one of those.

Latest posts

Back