• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1977 Ford LGT 165

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kpeaney

3rd times a charm(I hope). Picked up this GT a couple weeks ago. Got it to run, just need a tune-up and some TLC.I hope to try out the foot operated Hi/LO Hydro soon, plus the Hyd. lift.
{
219305.jpg

{
219306.jpg

{
219307.jpg

{
219308.jpg

Hey, it worked. Didn't take a pic of the mower as yet. Think I did okay for $300?

Kenneth P. One word.....<font color="0000ff">SWEET!!!</font>

YUP! for 300 you just about stole it! Awesome! I've been looking for one like that for some time now! Good Luck with her!

I have to fab the lever for the blade angle, but I about have it figured out. Also, have to put new bearings on the PTO shaft. Going to order a carb kit, and tune up items, change oil, so forth. Hopefully, she be a worker then. I have a Sears 42" rear blade that's real heavy. That's where the Hyd. lift will be real handy.

Kenny

Kenneth P.-

That's a sweet outfit. I've been a Ford guy all of my life and have a couple of vehicles and a Ford 4000 gas burner but I don't have a Ford GT. I'd rather have that gt than a comparable John Deere any day. My brother use to have a Ford GT but there's no telling where it is today.

While you're going through it be sure to check and lube linkages underneath. This is one part POs never address and almost always show wear.

Good find and good luck!

Wayne, I've been looking it over some and have spotted major wear at the mower attach point. 3/4" shaft looks half wore thru. I'll be glad when warmer weather gets back here so I can spend more time on it. I have a dedicated mower, so I'm in no hurry to fix that. I would like to get it running so I can get the tiller for my garden this spring. It's not very big, but running the tiller thru it will sure help. I believe the brake linkage needs the ATF/Acetone mix applied.
Probably most all joints under there, also. Need a large tub, take tires off, and soak it. HAHA!!!

Later, Kenny

And, now, here's a joke on Old Frank: When I saw K341AQS I just ASSumed we were talking about a CUB CADET 1650. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Not that I'm complaining (I rarely do, ya know). Thankfully, there's a place on this forum for other than Cub Cadets, especially when they share the same basic engine.
Wayne: Could you post a pic of the rear axle system? I just parted a LGT12 and it's rear axle just had about a 5" dia. differential in the middle of the axle shafts. If it hadn't headed to North Dakota when it did I was ready to take it apart to see what made it "tick". It must be a fine piece of machine work!

Frank C.-

You must not be over the holidays yet. This LGT was Kenneth Ps find....or did I miss something along the way? I bet if you ask him nicely he will send you a picture of his rearend.

Signed.....confused in North Carolina.

Kenneth P. Here you go. Scroll down and take a look at a gentleman's homemade three point for his 165. Homemade three point. Is your tiller setup like his? Also, I wonder why both sets of fenders have the same faded appearance?

Marlin, thanks for the info. On faded fenders, most of these tractors I've seen look this way. Guess the paint couldn't take it.
On the tiller, if you look below the F in FORD, you will see the u-joint for my PTO shaft. It comes from the front of the motor along the side of the tractor. So, no mine is not like his.

219340.jpg

If you look below/forward of the air cleaner, you will see the pulley on the PTO shaft. The big black tank is for 5 gallons of gas. Don't have to fill up so often.

You can call me KennyP if ya'all want. Later.

Not to make myself a menace here, but this thing is also a shaft drive like the Cubs. Once the weather warms up, I'll get pics of my 108 for you guys.

Here's another shot of the right side. Look closely at the foot board. You will see three pedals. Brake, FWD, and REV.
219346.jpg

Plus, it is a HI/LO Hydro. That is just COOL. Come on warm weather, I want to play with this.

KennyP

Back