• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1970 IH Cub Cadet 73 revival

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sryan

displayname
Sam Ryan
Hasn't run in at least 5-years. Reason: the mechanism or relay to allow the engine to crank when pushing in the brake-clutch pedal has malfunctioned.

In addition, I like to get the lights in working order.

First, I'm afraid it's going to be a messy task of cleaning the fuel tank that still has gasoline in it. Ugh.....

I'm hoping to find the help of others in the form of tips and advise, as I start the process of delving into the machine.

My folks bought it brand new when I was in high school/junior college away in military school. We used it only for clearing our driveway and street of snow with it's blade. It was a terrific snow plow.

Love this 73 Cub Cadet!

Cool!
buttrock.gif
Welcome to the forum!!
groupwave.gif
I like 73's too. The 73 is what got me started in this hobby. Post some pics.
snacks.gif

Sam, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your 73. The 73 is unique and cool with that white painted steel dash.

I attached 6 photos to the thread's first post, but they didn't make the trip when I submitted the thread. Not surprisingly, many forums don't accept photos the only way I know how to attach them, so it looks like photos are not going to be part of this one either.

Sam, feel free to send them to me. My email is in my profile. I can post them for you. Because:

worthless.gif

Sam - if you're to new to know where Kraig's profile is then just click on his name at the heading of his post - and that will get you there.

Welcome, Sam!
beerchug.gif

I'm not here to hijack your thread, but I'm pretty happy with this 73. The blue/black decals are my favorite combination.
happy.gif

I'll be darned, it won't let me post a pic.
sad.gif

Here's Sam's photos of his 73. Wow it's in great condition! And it's got the optional fenders, lights and wide tires. Sweet! Looks like the fender reflectors have been replaced with lights. Never seen that before.

321012.jpg

321013.jpg

321014.jpg

321015.jpg

321016.jpg

Yes, the hole was bored to bolt the metal shaft that held the blade way up for transporting the tractor on a small trailer cross-town to plow snow at our apartment buildings.

Sam, an easy way to fill that hole is with JB Weld epoxy. Though some here (most notably KENtucky Ken) will probably disagree. I used it on the grill casting on my Original when I refurbished it over 10 years ago and there's no sign of failure with it.

The bore isn't an issue for me, I'm just trying to get information on the whereabouts of the ignition kill switch mechanism for allowing the engine to crank at start up when fully depressing the clutch-brake pedal.

The other issue is the cleaning of the remaining fuel in the fuel tank that's been there for over 5-years. I'm not sure if I can successfully tackle that issue without hiring professional help.

Firstly, I'm going to need to air up the tires so I can roll it around in my garage. I had to use a 5' long two by four to lever it around my garage this last January to make room in the garage for both my mid sized sedan and a new 2017 Chevrolet Corvette I bought.

I am planning on getting an oiless electric air compressor from Harbor Freight, since I can always use the compressor to blow out the fresh water lines on my motor home each Winter, and have the compressor on hand for my bicycle and other vehicles too.

Sam: That's a safety switch located underneath the tractor. If you can get someone to press and release the clutch/brake pedal while you watch how things work down there you should see a normally open switch that closes when the pedal is depressed. It's just a simple 2-wire switch and easily bypassed. (Temporarily, of course
happy.gif
)

It should look like this when you find it:

321068.jpg

You've got a great looking 73! Not every day we see a tire that's honestly flat on top!
happy.gif

3 of the four tires need air. The flat spot signifies it's lack of air pressure. I blocked up the front end on the fan belt and pulley assembly that drives the belly mower blades. No need for the tires to stay nearly flat on the garage floor. The tractor's weight increases significantly with the mower assembly attached. I am thinking that I should unhinge the mower assembly to better view and find the relay switch for it's tightening up, replacement. I need to find out why the lights don't work too. Is there a troubleshooting forum devoted to actual shop fixing of these tractors here?

Sam: This IS the trouble shooting forum! You'll learn a lot by checking new posts daily, if you have the time.
happy.gif

321075.jpg

This schematic comes from the TOPICS section under WIRING DIAGRAMS. Thanks, again, to Roland Bedell!

I'll be watching this thread. Today our ATV club had a poker run and I man Station #4, which is in our woodlot. It shouldn't have surprised me, but it did -- I've got another 73 stored out there!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back