• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 Tuning into 2372 V-Twin

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junderwood

displayname
John Underwood
Well, I thought I would start a thread on my 1872's engine swap. I am installing a 23hp Command to replace the Mag 18 that decided to lose the governor gear. These are the first real progress pics so far. The engine bolted right in with swaping to an engine plate from a 1641.

Then I wanted to switch to the CV drive shaft. One problem, how to hold the coupler to the hydrostat. Well , after one cobalt drill bit and a tap I threaded the end of the shaft and installed a bolt like on the newer tractor that use these drive shafts. Next, I am getting a friend to lengthen the drive shaft 4 13/16" so it fits again.

After that I just need to lengthen a couple wires, install the firewall and fuel tank, and figure out the control cables. Hopefully, it will live in another week or so.

112789.jpg

112790.jpg

112791.jpg

that really looks cool sitting there ,---should be a good runner !!!
thumbsup.gif

Keep us posted. I've concidered the same swap. How did you come about the Vtwin?

Scott

Scott,

Updates will come as I get stuff done. These things usually take more time than I think they will. As far as the engine, I just got plain lucky. A friend found it brand new. It had fallen off the back of a pickup while still in the original box. It broke the air clear, a valve cover, and the throttle/choke plate is tweaked a little. I bought it for a song.

As far as an update I did get a friend to help lengthen the drive shaft this weekend. We had a little trouble but got it done. I got a new grease zerk to install tonight and will try to get it installed this week. I need to notch the mounting plat a little and then bolt the engine in for good. After that I work on the wiring and throttle linkage.
113113.jpg

John U.-

FYI, when I put the Command 18 into my 582, I used the Magnum choke cable and the throttle cable from and 1864. If you have any other questions, let me know, as I'm pretty familiar with installing that engine into an 82 series chassis.

Matt,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't even look at them yet so I'll see what I can do this week. How did you route the cables? Do you have a picture?

Thanks,
John

John-

I don't have a picture, unfortunately, and I'm 1000 miles away from the tractor, but I believe that both cables go through the firewall on the left side and then attach to the governor/choke linkage plate on the top front part of the motor.

Well, just thought I would give a little update. The drive shaft is installed and looks good. I bought a universal cable and am installing that for the throttle. The choke cable fits fine. I am working through some PTO clutch issues since this in not the 100% correct spec for a Cub. I should have that work out shortly. I need to order a few small brackets to make the exhaust shielding fit.

All in all it is going pretty good but slow. Just too many irons in the fire right now. Once I get a little farther I will post some more pics.

Well, It has been a long time since my last update. The news is good though. The engine installation is done and it runs. I was having a lot of trouble getting the wiring figured out and finishing some details. This weekend I will get the body work reinstalled and take it out for its maiden voyage. Once I get this done I will try to put together a list of all the little things I did to make this work. If anyone has any questions about installing one just drop me an email.

152121.jpg

152122.jpg

152123.jpg

Hers today's update. I got everything re-installed and took it for a maiden voyage. Seem to run pretty good, but I need to tighten the steering and fix the jerky hydro. Looks like it needs new bushings in the axle and trunnion springs. I did get the Tru Powers installed on the rear. I'll get some V-61's later this year once I finish the other details.

152168.jpg

152169.jpg

Back