• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 rear inspection cover gasket

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy

displayname
Jerry Tracy
Bought a new one tonight but noticed that my old one also had some RTV or other silicone type product along with the paper gasket. Is this recommended or will the gasket alone suffice? I also found the remnants of my TWO broken dipsticks lying in the bottom of the rear housing. I'll try to post some pics of these tomorrow. Not sure why but for some reason these dipsticks keep breaking off, one piece is about an inch and three quarters, maybe two and the other one is inch and a quarter or so. One is nicked on the end but not sure if this is what caused it to break or if it was nicked by the ring gear on its way to the bottom of the housing. Guess I need to buy a new one but something tells me it will just break as well. Any thoughts?

Jerry:

As a suggestion, with the Rear Cover off, put the Dipstick into it's normal location, and observe if it comes in contact with anything.

From my perspective, a <u>light</u> coating of RTV on the gasket won't hurt anything.

thumbsup.gif

I've already checked that and I dont see a thing that would cause the dipstick to break off. Its at least an inch away from the ring gear. I guess I'll just get the welder out and weld the old one back together. Anyone else out there have any experience with this happening?

Here's a couple pics of the dipsticks and the rear cover modification that I made to speed up the hydro filling.
88293.jpg
88294.jpg
If you look closely, you can see where the stick is notched just to the right of the "FULL" hashmark. Evidentally something is making contact there but I dont know what it would be.

Here's a pic of the first dipstick that broke.
88300.jpg
This ones a little blurry but its also notched on the topside just to the right of the hashmark and its buggered up a little on the end but this may have happened after it broke and was falling to the bottom of the case.

And finally a pic of the rear housing cover and the modification/hole and the pipe plug.
88310.jpg

Okay I stand corrected. I just placed the broken piece of the dipstick back in place with it in the tube and the cover off and it DOES contact the ring grear on the smooth edge of the gear. Is there a fix for this, as it seems the stick is too long. The only other fix I could think of is making sure that when the stick is placed in the tube that its placed in such a way that the stick is running the same way as the ring gear, both on the same axis I guess. Does this make sense?

Jerry:

The dipstick for your 1863 is the same for my 784. I do NOT have any problems with mine.

I would suggest placing the dipstick in the tube and observe where it goes. Bend the dipstick as not to come in contact with anything.

Back