• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 Hydrostat Dipstick Issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy

displayname
Jerry Tracy
I've owned this tractor since early '96. Its a '95 model and I bought it when it had 50 hours on it. The problem I'm having is that the dipstick keeps breaking off on the end. This is the second dipstick that I've put in since '95. Not sure if this is an isolated case or have other owners had this same problem. The pieces, roughly an inch long, are still in the hydro unit and so far no problems but something is causing them to break and I don't have a clue as to what it would be. There are no marks on the stick or anything abnormal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like the fender section is either loose or the rearend is loose in the frame.
If you will look around the cap, you might just find a small wear rub/mark on it.
There's nothng else that comes to mind that would be in the way of the tube to put enough pressure on it to break it off.

Thanks for the reply charlie. Nothing appears to be loose and no rub marks.

Is it the part farthest from the handle that keep breaking off? If so, it would lead me to belive that it is hitting the differential and getting sheared off. What you should do is drain the Hy-Tran from the rear and remove the cover. Insert a new dipstick and see if you can easilly deflect it into the diff.

Jerry T, Digger:

May be the trouble is found here. Cub Cadet sometimes had trouble getting their dipsticks to work :)-}>....

Myron B
62985.jpg

David, yes its the end of the stick that has the measurement markings on it that keeps breaking off. But like I said in my original post, I've never been able to detect any marks, scratches or gouges from contact with the diff. Myron, thanks for the TSB on the dipsticks. I did not see the 1863 listed but who knows, this problem could've carried over from '87 to '95 but I'd sure like to think they got the problem fixed sooner then that! Does anyone have a good dipstick from an 1863 that they could measure for me so I can tell how much is missing? Thanks for any help!!

Jerry T: What is the part number of the dipstick you are using (the ones that break off)??

Myron B
CCSuplyRoom

Myron, I looked all over the stick and there is no part number to be seen. I did measure both sticks and the original one measured 8 15/16 and the replacement that I got from an authorized dealer measures 9 3/4. Keep in mind, these measurements are to the broken end and not of an intact dipstick. The longer stick looks like the break happened right at the full mark as there seems to be part of a hashmark and what looks like might be the "foot" of the last "L" in the word FULL.

Okay charlie, here's a couple pics. The shorter stick was the original one that it came with and the longer one is the one that I was sold as a replacement. In the pic showing the broken ends, if you look closely at the right stick, you will see a faint mark that runs along the long axis of the stick and its bout an 1/8 inch long. I think that is the "foot" of the "L" in the letter FULL.
63003.jpg

Okay, here's a better pic of the stamped mark on the longer stick.
63009.jpg

Jerry if I could get ya to hit the return key between the words and where you insert your pics, I'd be tickled pink with ya.
biggrin.gif

Jerry,
I can get you a measurement sometime Friday night if somebody dosen't beat me to it.

Thanks for the measurement Shane. How long is it from the "FULL" mark to the end of the stick? Could you post a pic of the stick? Thanks!!

Whats the S.N. of your cub? I found two different tube/dipstick combos for the 1863. Prior to 880,000 or after.

If before you need to have tube CCC part # 727-3028 with dipstick # 703-0911.

If after 880,000 749-3161 tube and 727-3095 dipstick.

From what I see, the first one looks like the correct dipstick for your tractor. However, I suspect that metal fatigue is the culprit. It just looks like there was a fracture or imperfection there and it broke from the vibration. The second one definately broke from hitting the differential. You need to remove those pieces before they get lodged in the diff and ruin the rear. It takes only an hour or two to remove the rear cover, clean out the housing. Reinstall a new seal and refill with Hy-tran.

angel.gif

David, just curious how can you tell that the second one definately was hitting the diff?

Sorry Jerry,
I don't get in here to often, I'll try and get you that measurement tonight.

Latest posts

Back