• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1862 CC battery runs down between mowings

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknight

displayname
William M. Knight (Bill)
I have a repowered 1862 CC that I have to recharge the battery every week to start. It will start fine if stopped during a cutting but if it sits for a week it won't start. I removed the neg battery cable tonight and charged the battery. Tried touching the neg terminal with the cable in the dark to see if there would be a spark. No spark but did have a click of noise from the area of the starter/generator. It did it consistiently about six times and then no more with several attempts after the noise/click stopped. Any Ideas about what I should do? Thanks

Is it repowered with the same type of engine? If not maybe the charging/wiring is incorrect for your repower setup. It actually sounds like to me that if it starts fine in between brief sittings then the battery isn't holding a charge or it may not even be getting a charge from your tractor.

Exact same engine was replaced. It was a diys job. Runs great. The clicking noise ( a single click) happened every time I touched the neg on the battery with the neg wire. I could tell the noise was in the area of the starter. It was not at the battery. After about six repetitions it stopped and has not repeated. Battery is/was new a week ago. I got a new one expecting the problem to be fixed. The old one was 2 yrs old. Problem is still the same. I wondering if there is a short on could it be something draining the battery between mowings? I expected to see a spark in the dark but at the battery.????????

You have something pulling current from the battery. Hook a digital ampmeter and check it and you will probally find curent draw to something. You can also leave the battery disconected between mowings but that won't tell you where the problem is.

Once you have the tractor so it starts and runs. Shut it off and wait about 10 minutes. Check the battery voltage with a volt meter. Then start it up and see if the voltage rises while its running. It should go up slightly. That means its charging. If it goes down. Its not charging. If thats ok. Try using the same meter to check for a draw. You should use an amp. meter but some people use a test light... Disconnect the negative battery cable put the meter/light between the battery and the terminal end and check the reading with the key out of the tractor. Start disconnecting and reconnecting plugs and connections until the draw goes away. Keep in mind your looking for the problem furthest from the battery. Check down the line. If you disconnect one plug and the reading goes away look for plugs further down the line or start diconnecting components until you narrow it down. Sounds harder than it is...

Latest posts

Back