1572 driveshaft removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceckhardt

displayname
Camden J Eckhardt
This is my first post on this site,so I hope I dont offend anyone with a possibly stupid question. I have the fan blades on my 1572 driveshaft broken off, but my issue is: What is the procedure to get the shaft out. I have taken the bolts out of the rag joints(front and rear) but I cant get enough forward/rear motion to get the shaft out. What am I missing? Thanks for the help. Cam

Camden: If you can't fish it out the rear of the tractor, you may have to move the engine to get it out. I don't know the specifics of your tractor, but I know some of them require moving the engine.

Cam,

You could remove the (4) 3/8" capscrews that hold the engine cradle in the frame. Do a parts view to see what I refer to; it is an easy way to slide the engine forward enough to R&R the driveshaft.

The reason the shaft currently won't come out is that it extends thru the rag-joints into the end (drive)pieces. You may strongly want to get creative and use a driveshaft from a later CC with the CV joints as Donald Tanner and others have done. Guys report on how much smoother they run. My 1782 has those from the factory and I can really tell the difference from my friend's 1572.

BTW, Good 1st question! Good luck with your project. We will check back on your progress and maybe you could add a few pictures so others can see what you are experiencing.

One point to verify: IMPORTANT> before you pull the driveshaft please check the trans/rear end attaching hardware as these often loosen over time. Better to catch this B4 the damage is done. A loose trans/axle will also make driveshaft removal nearly impossible as it loads the weight onto the driveshaft binding it. Not every 1572 I have seen had loose fasteners, but I'd bet over 80% did!! It was a known issue and caused many casting failures so checking it now is mucho importante! BLUE loctite is your friend on those bolts.

Guys, I appreciate the help on this. I will keep everyone in the loop on this. Thanks!

Ok, its out! Jim, you were right. Had to take the engine forward, which meant taking the radiator surround and hood off so I could loosen up the radiator cause the fan wouldnt allow the engine to move forward. Whew! The nose of the shaft has worn.? Bushings looked good as did the rag joints, but the flange that bolts to the crankshaft was a little tweaked. Not sure how that can happen but thats how it looks. I'll let you guys know when it goes back together.

Latest posts

Back