• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

1512 diesel power steering ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I think I made up my mind to install power steering on my 1512 diesel and use the three turn box on my 129 loader. I sent Aaron a request for the bracket to hold the box in place.I do have front and rear post installed and need info as to where to install the T`s need to supply the power steering.I bought the steering box and cylinder with the two hoses and have that all here but I need to know more to get this to work.

What is used above for the shaft to the steering wheel?

The cylinder end to axle front wheel? how is that attached?
It would be great to find some one who has done this Mod.

Thanks Don T

Thanks so much for sending me the pictures and info Steve B (mister Plow) about your install of the power steering on your tractor. That will help me get mine sorted.
thumbsup_old.gif

NO problem. It will take some custom tubing work to get right.

Look under the 2072 PS and Hyd Lift prts diagrams for more tubing info.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

I have the power steering bracket to hold the control box in place in the mail now from Aaron . I plan to use the steering top piece from the 107 . I have front and rear ports on the 1512 and now with the power steering I know I will have to change the plumbing again . I think The steering takes hyd pressure first and then the lift. I bet I will have to make up some more lines to get this working. Just don`t know how I attach the steering cylinder to the left wheel for turning . Could you give me some ideas on this. Thanks Don T
1a_scratchhead.gif

Print out the parts list and overhaul manual it shows where the lines go.look at the pics of my 982 restoration in the forum restoration section.It will be very tight when done.

Michael A.Masheris

Thanks for that info, I have it now printed out to tell me where the lines connect. I will need fab something to connect the cylinder to the left front wheel.

One question the two ports on the bottom of the steering box ? what do they connect to (lift cylinder) ? I think I will have to fab a bunch of plumbing to get this all sorted so I have both front and rear ports with my Cat O lift and the power steering .

Got some parts to install my power steering on my 1512 .I`am ready for the install as soon as I can find time lol. On another note I changed the tires on the wifes car and it has those covered chrome nuts.Got the nut stuck in my impact socket. I thought a pin would drive the nut out
bash.gif
. Now the pin is stuck and I`am out a socket also . GGGGGGGRRRRR

open to ideas ?!

249858.jpg

Don put it in the freezer for a while to cool everything down, then quickly warm up only the socket to see if it will free up the nut and punch. Will it work? Who knows, but it might be worth a shot.
dunno.gif

Drop it on the shop-floor like you're spiking a football. Something will go flying out..

Or use a pipe wrench to install the lug nut back on the car and leave it that way. Eventually the socket and punch will come off...
icon_eek.gif

Don't forget the latest CC garden tractors use electronic powersteering, like many new ATVs use. May be an alternate plan to consider.

Socket/nut/punch; simple, drive a punch back thru the lug nut to remove the punch, first. Then run the lugnut on a bolt enough to retain it and use an air chisel to push the socket off, never fails.

Jim-
That won't work, the lug-nut has a chrome cover on it with no hole in the center.

Wait... I got it!

Put it in a box, label it with your address, mark the words "FRAGILE" all over the box, then mail it to yourself.

I guarantee there will be 3 seperate pieces in the box when you open it.
thumbsup_old.gif

OK, gotcha, then clamp the punch in a vise, apply said air chiesel to edge of socket, something will seperate first.

Plan B: What Art Said

I guarentee that will work, if not you get all the broken parts for free!!

Art, no offense taken, I was
clappy.gif

Jim's Plan for Don:
1: have a beer
2:get air hose out and by bench, grab air chisel
3:have a beer
4:look for air chuck to fit in air chisel (robbed out for another project some time ago)
5:Find the punch end or dull chisel to drive socket off
6: Hmmm, thirsty...
7:Apply air power after digging for safety glasses for 2 hours
8:Remove socket easily
9:Celebrate with a cold tool.
10:Look for all the parts that went flying whileworking on project
11:Call it a day, rest on couch

That's how I'd do it Don, nah, just kidding

I will try the air chisel. I will have to get it out of the freezer and give that a shot with some heat.

Art ; I don`t want to chip my heated floor . Nothing never comes apart when a guy wants it to lol.

Jim D ; I only have two two cold beverages in the cooler .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Got the hitch all laid out today and will take it for welding in the am.Planned on just a ball till I got to town and found this off an ATV.Because my trailer dumps the lines that are made to run off my Cat O hitch I need to keep the same length. So this will bolt on and I will have this welded fast to the 2" stock. That should work better hauling the trailer loaded. I have broke the chains loose now twice and they allow the trailer to move around. I know this will move the weight of a loaded trailer back ,but I don`t have a problem so far.this way I will still have my Cat O installed and can just pull the pin to remove the hitch.

250379.jpg

Don,

What is supporting the tongue weigth of the loaded trailer that far back? Looks like a good way to peel 5 bolts out of an AL rear end housing to me.....there is a lot of leverage applied that far out.

Latest posts

Back