• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1440 PTO stops working

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tltate

displayname
Troy L Tate
i have a cub 1440 with electric PTO problems. The factory PTO bearings came apart and burned up the electric PTO which had to be replaced with a "cub cadet" replacment part. When I engage the PTO, the deck will start; but when I release the switch to the "operational" position the deck cuts out. If I hold the switch in the "start" position the deck continues to run and everything works fine. i used me voltmeter and tapped out the switch and relay which both look fine. Why would this electric PTO be cutting out?

Because the PTO isn't staying energized. Not knowing how the switch is wired I can only "guess" that the switch is bad.

Use your meter to see if PTO switch terminals "A - B" have contact when ON.

A & B are connnected in the "ON" position.
A, B & F are connected in "Start" position

Remove wires from Relay pins 86 & 85
Apply Positive voltage to Relay pin 86
Apply Negative voltage to relay pin 85
Relay should pull in and hold.
226379.gif

relay pulls and holds, but apparently will not pass amperage. I bypassed the relay and everything works fine. A new relay should put me back in business. Thak you for all the assistance.

Your seat switch would be the next thing to check.
Your PTO switch can be bad too since it's not a latching relay.

Check all grounds too and make sure there's no rust or paint under the ground contact spots.

Latest posts

Back