• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

13 year perodical cicadas

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I don't know if this will interest anyone but I find it amazing. This is the year (at least here in NC) for the 13 year periodical cicada. I was just out looking around the yard and they are around every hardwood tree. The group of "husks" is just a few of many at the base of a large cedar tree I have. They emerge from the ground after being there for 13 years feeding on the root system of the hardwoods. They then shed the exoskeleton and climb out to the foliage where you can see large groups. They start calling with a deafening sound to attract a mate. After the mating period, which takes 5 or 6 weeks the females lay their eggs near a tree and the 13 years starts all over again.

224911.jpg

224912.jpg

The 17 year cicada should be emerging in the next few years. I remember being on a job in 1996or7 when they were everywhere and you could hardly hear yourself think.

With all of the crap we humans contribute to the world it's good to see nature just ignore us and continue with business at hand.

Sorry for the fuzziness in the photo of the one cicada.

Wayne those things are a real bad problem. I have seen the so bad here that you couldn't drive with your car window down. But the fish in the lakes and streams sure do enjoy them.

I've never seen them that bad but they are quite abundant. I had a hen turkey walk through the yard yesterday and I think she was enjoying them. They're like giant schools of fish in the ocean in a way. Their main defense against predation is shear numbers. The article I read said they avaeraged over a million an acre which comes out to be over 1400 pounds of cicada/acre. Their main defense is their predator being gorged already therefore no longer interested.

Interesting. I've heard of them but didn't realize that they were that numerous when they hatched.
icon_eek.gif

I don't know how much of the United States these cicadas cover but they are really doin' it now. When I walk outside I can't hear myself think. It's like a sound you might hear in a sci-fi movie. The yard is riddled with 1/2" holes from their emerging and their husks are everywhere. I have a wild hen turkey that visits and she seems to be having the time of her life. She was in the garden yesterday but soon moved to areas with trees where she could eat her fill. I just finished hanging out some clothes and there were even husks on the clothes line.

I think this is fascinating but I'll also be glad when the booty calls are done with.

Wayne they aren't coming out in my area yet.We had a few last year but not as usual. I have seen the highway slick from so many cicadas on it. They seem to like oak trees better than other kinds so there are more where there is more oak trees. I guess it is easier to split the bark to lay eggs.

This post is rated at best "R".

What's that French phrase for three?

225578.jpg

These cicadas are simply everywhere. It seems like every day there are more and more and the sound is unbelievable. It's now hard to walk without stepping on them. I'll be glad when the party is over.

happy.gif

Haven't heard any here in central MO. I saw my first today. A couple of family members said they had seen a few in south central MO. and northern ARK.
ROD

I wonder if that is why my dog is digging around all my trees. Really getting annoying, anybody have any ideas or remedies for a digging dog? I was thinking maybe lightly putting some black pepper down around the trees to keep her away.
1a_scratchhead.gif

It warmed up and has quit raining. The little boogers are screaming something horrible now.
ROD

Back