• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tires/CACL

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proessler

displayname
Paul W.Roessler
Denny, nearly every new Farmall sold out of the Brooklyn IH dealer shop got CACL fluid in the rear tires back in the early 70's. The shop had a electric motor mounted on a board with V-belt driving a paddle pump.I think using a barrel and half of fluid to fill the largest tires (18.4's). We used flake CAcL and the solution is a messy crapola to cleanup off of anything...
clappy.gif
Especially @ $1.75/ hour.

PAUL - Yes, there's still a few farmer's that use CaCl. But with today's FWA, radial tires, and taller low sidewall profile tires, the amount of CaCl per tire is reduced. The old 18.4 x 34's & 38's held a LOT more fluid than today's 46, & even 50" rim diameters. With fluid you get a tendency to POWER HOP with today's high HP tractors. You have to play with inflation PSI and weight a lot more to control that hopping. It's caused when the tire squats under a hard pull, then spins a bit, then raises up a bit, and gets a good bite again, squats, and starts all over and over again. From comments I've read over on RPM's forum a 250-350+ HP tractor can get to bouncing bad enough you get tossed around the cab pretty good before you can hit the clutch.

You want to run as light as you can to reduce compaction, but heavy enough to keep 5-10% slippage. And pulling smaller implements faster as opposed to pulling larger implements as best you can helps too. Good comparison was right here by my house last fall. Neighbor across the road pulls about three feet too wide a chisel plow with a 200 HP tractor. HUGE rack of suitcase weights to plant the FWA axle, plus a row of 18-20 more suitcase weights hanging off the back of his 3-pt hitch to plant the rear axle and he creeps along 3-4 MPH and when pulling up the hill towards the road his slippage must be 30-40%. Guy that farms on my side of the road has the same size tractor, 200 HP, also FWA, but his chisel plow is 3 ft narrower and he runs no extra weights on the back, just the full rack on the frt of his MX-210. He can run 5-6 MPH and his slippage is right around the 10% range, maybe 15-20% in tough areas.

Running all that extra weight tying the drive wheels of the tractor hard and fast to the ground does bad things to the final drives too. Best way to measure efficency now days is "Gallons per acre" for most jobs. When you're spinning your wheels you're wasting fuel. And ag diesel is around $3.40/gallon so you don't want to waste much if any of it when you're burning 15-18 gal/hour.

Latest posts

Back