• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sick 1811

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htimmons

displayname
Harold Timmons
I posted this problem on yahoo but have not recieved an reply yet.
I parked my Cub 1850 the other day and all seemed fine. today I
needed to move it and it only runs for 15-20 sec, I thought it was out
of gas. I moved it 20 feet and tonight I filled it with gas and
attemped to move it back to its parking spot, It still only runs 15-20
sec with much smoke. I removed the air cleaner and noticed a lot of oil
in the lid. I allways soak the mesh in oil and squeeze it dry before I
install it, but I couldn't belive I left that much. I attemped to crank
the tractor with the breather off and oil gushed from the crankcase
breather hole. I shut it down and covered the tractor so I could get
input from the masters. WHAT is wrong?? I am thinking clogged PCV
(where is it) I hope it is somthing simple.
INPUT PLEASE.
From The Heart Of DIXIE
Harold

Check your oil level. If your oil turned clear and is way up on the dipstick, you have gas in the crankcase. Also you can remove the fill cap and smell in there too. If you smell gas, you can be sure you have gas in the crankcase. Don't run it again if this is the case until you drain out what's in the crankcase and refill with oil, and fix whatever's causing the problem, usual suspects are:

--Dirt in needle and seat
--Worn out needle and seat
--Leaky or improperly adjusted float
--Bad mechanical fuel pump

If you run it for too long with gas inside the engine, serious damage can and probably will occur.

If there isn't gas in the crankcase and the oil level is normal, then you might try cleaning and reassembling the breather. It may be dirty or installed incorrectly, but I am guessing it is the first problem that I mentioned, these engines are notorious for this. Hopefully someone else will chime in too, as I only have experience with the fuel system issues on my 1811.

Let me know what you find and I'll try to give you any other advice I can depending on the problem. Good luck!

Thanks Matt, you were right with your first answer. Dipstick showed too much fluid in crankcase and it smelled like gas. I removed the carb, the float chamber was full of crap. I cleaned and reassembled the carb, drained the oil, refilled with cheap oil, ran the engine for a few minutes,drained the cheap oil,removed the old oil filter and then installed new oil and filter. Cub runs great. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back