• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Shop Flooring

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
I'm thinking of putting down linoleum tile (1'X1' tile squares) on the floor of my "Cub Den" garage. This garage is not used for vehicles or daily use, just storage and tractor projects.

Initially, the thought of doing anything to "finish" a garage seems silly to me, but since our building inspector made us cover all of the walls and ceiling with drywall (even requiring us to "tape" the joints so they were fireproof) thats all it would need is some sort of flooring to be a "finished room". I figure it will not only make it look nice, but it would probably add to the value should we ever decide to sell the place.

I know I can paint the floor with those special epoxy paints, but I'm not a fan because I hear they get real slippery when they get wet.

I know I'll probably have to be careful with things like floor-jacks and jackstands as far as supporting them with wood "feet" to keep them from dimpling the tile, but are there any other concerns with putting down this type of flooring?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has this in their garage....

Art, from various projects over the years...You may have to clean/seal the concrete for good adhesion. Check around the net for info on applying tiles '0n or below grade'. I suspect small amounts of moisture one would not normally see could become a problem when trapped under tiles. JMHO

Gotta watch what you put down if you spill gas. From expirience gas makes some glue just nasty to deal with.

Put down carpet then roll it up when you need to get "dirty and jackin'"
whistling.gif

Carb cleaner will take up tile too if it springs a leak ... ask a landlord I had once ....
rant.gif

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914327000P?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+Organization+%26+Shelving&sName=Garage+Flooring

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914312000P?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+Organization+%26+Shelving&sName=Garage+Flooring

Art, additional thought. If the space your using is actually a garage as would by defined as a place 'to store autos and lawn equip'<font size="-2">(even if you dont use it that way)</font>, I would wonder why the home owner did that if I were buying. I dont think it would raise the value or interest in the house. JAOF on his 4th home.

Art, I put carpet in my cub den. Nice to lay on working on cubs. warmer in winter if it get dirty pull out and power wash or get a new scrape pieace. works good for me.

ART - It's more expensive that linoleum, but My Buddy put 6" x 6" red clay tiles down in his shop. It's been down several years and He's only had 1 or 2 crack, and about the same number come loose. He demonstrated their durability by dropping a center punch from shoulder height onto the time point first. Just a very small dimple resulted. However, welding spatter seems to be an issue.

Glad your building inspector doesn't make "house calls", He wouldn't like my shop walls.

Home of the Plow Special

I put a lot of thought into my shop before I had it built and in floor heat was the way to go for me. I can and do lay on the floor to work on my cubs and love the heat. A car with 6" of snow on it take about an hr and the floor is dry. I had color added to the cement so its the same color all through.If I damage the surface it won`t show. If you do cover your floor with some kind of covering (paint) . when damaged ,the damage will show and will need to be touched up again. I will be adding a 12 Ft x 19Ft addition to the side of my shop this summer for more storage(Tractors only). Good luck
old.gif

Dennis:
You mean like my 1/4" OSB over the insulation?? I figuired the OSB would be slower to ignite from welding than the paper backing on the insulation.
lazerburn.gif

Back