• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Reo delivery truck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Every year we have our family reunion in or near the mountains of NC during the month of October. This truck was rescued by some distant kin from the depths of Lake Lure, a very deep lake near Chimney Rock, NC. It's a 1917 Reo and was used to deliver ice until it wrecked and ended up in the lake. It was very deep and sat there for many years until some people got together to get it out. It was discovered by some divers way below the oxygen level so it remained somewhat preserved. I remember riding on this truck as a younger man and it is still brought to the reunion every year.

218824.jpg

218825.jpg

218826.jpg

The last is a pic of the engine. I think Reo even made their own engines but I'm not sure. I was told this year that a replacement spark plug cost $27 if you can find them.

And these young kids thought REO Speedwagon was new and hip..................Kids???

WAYNE - I agree with KRAIG, Awesome old truck! Real piece of history!

Now just wait....this is On Topic! I just got done this AM reading one of my X-mas presents, Hugh Rowland's book, "On Thin Ice". It was actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be! His truck, "The Crow's Nest" is a 1999 9400 International with a 550 HP CAT & 18-spd Road Ranger.

Some of the older trucks he's driven over the ice have been less than driver friendly, He mentions 60's & 70's vintage trucks that the heaters were so poor he'd get frost bite in his hands & feet while driving. Hugh says typical nite time temps are 50 to 60 below zero, and exposed flesh freezes in about a MINUTE.

Somehow driving that 1917 REO out on the ice with NO cab let alone no heater doesn't seem appealing! But it sure is in great shape for 94 yrs old and having spent part of it's life under water!

Wayne, That's a great old truck. I love looking over old cars and trucks. Just today I saw a B model Mack 6 wheel dump.

Just a little history of REO - In 1905 Ransom E. Olds, creator of the Oldsmobile had a falling out with the stock holders of the company he founded, Olds Motor Works. He then started Reo Motor Car Company, the manufacturer of the REO truck shown below. That later evolved into Nuclear Corp. of America which then became NUCOR Corp. Nucor is the largest steel producer in the United States (26 million tons annually) and also the foremost recycler of steel in the world and one of the largest recyclers of any kind. If you can't tell, I'm a proud employee of NUCOR!!

Nice bit of history Kevin. It's interesting hearing how old American companies evolved.

BTW, I think I remember the owner telling me the top speed was 37 mph. I bet the pistons are about the size (round) as a golf ball. It runs like a sewing machine though.

Latest posts

Back