• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Propane Bottle Sand Blaster/Pressure Pot

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mkreek

Has anyone ever made or thought about making one of these?

I went and spoke with a LP distributer friend of mine
old.gif
and he said he'd supply me with as many 100# bottles as I like.
thumbsup.gif

He told me that the old 92# (actual weight) were made with thicker steel, he thought it was a little over 1/4" steel. He said most bottles are rated to hold 239# of water (he said the equivalent of 200psi, not for sure that it's correct, but who am I to say he's wrong).

As for a sandblasting peasure tank, I figure it won't go over 110psi. The reason I say that is cause my compressor max's out at 110psi.

What do you guys think? Too risky or worth the try?

I know pressure is important but for a sandblaster volume is what gets it done. The last compressor I used was rated at 8 CFM at 90 PSI and it wouldn't keep up with a 1/4" nozzel on my gravity feed sand blaster.

I built my own air compressor last year, used one of these 100# propane tanks and two York compressors. I figure the CFM is 19 or better. It takes about 2 minutes (or less) to fill the tank to 110psi from 0psi.

Once I get this project together I plan to put two more remote 100# tanks up in the rafters of my shop as air resevoirs, I should have enough air available for this project.

Give it a shot, sounds like your compressors up for it.

Matt, I did some quick checking, propane at 130*F has a pressure of 257#. Those tanks are usually tested at double or triple their rated capacity. The thing no one mentioned is that your plumbing be secure and protected. If a supply pipe is ruptured, your tank may act as a rocket!<font size="-1">But at 100# it probabily wount go far, but scare the crap out of you!</font>

Speaking of plumbing... Would you just use water line fittings and pipe? like I have on everything else, or do you guys have another product you suggest using? I'm always open to other ideas...

Thanks in advance, Matt

Years ago I helped a guy set up a garage with PVC for the air had a drop every 10 feet on the back wall and one next to 2 of his doors. I've since been told that under extreme cold that could have been a bad idea. He never had anything bad happen.

Matt, while staying here in the 'Machine Shop" section, look below at two other threads.
'Sandblasters & Air compressors' also 'Air Compressors'
The second one has quite a discussion on types of pipe to use. <font size="-2">ie: NO plastic pipe!</font>

ALLEN - re Your comment about a compressed air tank becoming a "Rocket" and scaring you!

My Uncle had a small hardware store compressor, say about 1 HP and 20 gal. tank. Like most small portable compressors it sat in the corner of his attached garage. And like most things He owned it was BADLY neglected. After several years of never having condensate drained the tank finally blew up. Tank almost turned itself inside-out. Also blew the exterior wall of the garage AND the interior common wall between the living room and garage OFF the foundation of the house. This was a little compressor that MAYBE could reach 120 PSI.

I was never a fan of ASME certified compressed air tanks until I worked at an ASME certified mfg. plant for 6 yrs. They are worth the small additional charge to have some place that knows what they're doing make those tanks.

Back