• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Powder Coating Discussion - Answers from a guy that does it for a living

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a little video for you folks. The music might not be the greatest, but this is a good demonstration of the impact resistance of powder coating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_fN-shOIzA

Bonus: It's fun to giggle at people who can't swing a hammer or an axe. I grew up on a farm, and we chopped wood for heat in the winter. I'd swing that sucker the right way. (The powder would still hold up, though.)

KENtuckyKEN, Yeah, I missed some detail there. One could, at least in theory, power a powder coating oven with wood, coal, or even old motor oil with that separate firebox approach. Reliable temp control might be a little awkward, and I don't know anyone that has done it. Directly heating the oven compartment with propane is widely used, and it can help keep heat evenly distributed, too. (Think convection oven.) Some folks use those portable propane forced air heaters blowing right through a duct in to the oven, and control the firing of the heater with inexpensive electronic controls.

Is anyone here painting with a factory matching colour any time soon? I ask, because I'd like to be able to mail you a little metal plate to shoot with your paint and then mail back to me. My goal is to find appropriate powder coat colour matches for the different shades that Cub Cadets left the factory with.

Of course, the manufacturer and colour of each match will become public knowledge, and can be added to some FAQ somewhere.

IF I were going to do a PC small operation here I'd probably use the 14x10 metal building behind my garage and convert it into an oven.
I do small scale aluminum/brass and some cast iron casting and I could just build a bigger propane burner like I made for my blast furnace and heat the "oven" through pipe work.

Then the next time one of those 'astards breaks into it again I could just shut the door and cook'em !
227738.gif

Something to cool you off on these hot days

KCA - I was wondering yesterday if you'd made up a color match yet.

Ah, foundry work. I haven't even gotten around to melting aluminum. I definitely want to get in to that some day.

Back on topic... I haven't even managed to match up powder coat for my own 147, as it was assaulted with a repaint years ago. I don't trust the paint for matching purposes.

A buddy of mine dropped off a fridge/freezer yesterday to put out in the garage since the other one craped out and he had a double built in oven on his truck. He thought that his son might want it , if not it comes back to here ...

Is there such a thing as High heat powder coating?

Dave: There is such a thing as high heat powder coating. The colour options are limited, but there are versions suitable for applications that see between 600 and 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.

You might also be interested in ceramic coatings, which are good for even higher temperature thresholds.

Kieth the only reason I asked was on anouther discussion board somebody brought it up. Honestly, I thought these two guys were punking the board. I asked here cause I didn't know, never heard of. Thanks for the info.

The RAL#is 1003 signal yellow close as IH ironguard federal yellow

Back