• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The Cola and Peanut Wars - which is Your favorite

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremiah - Dinah was the favorite daughter of Winchester, TN, 1.5 hours south of Nashville. They have a big sign on the edge of town to tell everyone it's Dinah's hometown.

I may not know much about Cub Cadets, but I was stationed just down the road from Winchester when I was in the Air Force, so this is my bit of trivia for the day!

Jeremiah-

Boiled peanuts need to be made fresh at home. My grandfather use to boil fresh peanuts at family gatherings when I was a boy. My grandparents lived in Sampson county which is a good peanut producing area in NC. I don't think I'd like them from a can either. And sardines are great several different ways. I personally like them with saltines, vinegar, hot sauce, and beer.

Geez, talking about Dixionics, I spent a littel time in Tennessee when I was in the Navy. Heard alot of talk about ice.

Harry - It's been so cold here in MN lately, I wish I was back in TN. (Although, I'm 160 miles south of Charlie, so not as cold as him!) But TN does get some ice: Christmas Eve, 1998, an ice storm hit Tullahoma, where we lived. Ice built up on power lines and trees snapped. Transformers exploded all around town, sounding like shotgun blasts echoing throughout the town. Most of the town lost power, and we were among the last to get it back - we were without electricity for two hours short of a week. We didn't have any gas to our house, so I was really glad I'd just stocked up on dried/split firewood for the fireplace. It was an adventure I'd prefer not to experience again, but a lot of other folks have it worse all the time, so I won't complain. And a year later I was in Guam - no ice there!

On topic - back in 1968 or so, I was putting Planters peanuts in my Orange Crush!

Greg - yes even tho I was only in Millington for about 8 months I remember one of those ice storms and couldn't believe it. But my other message was in reference to Dixionics ice. I thought there might be someone out there had heard of it.

Back somewhat on topic, Orange Crush and peanuts? Is that a Tennessee thing? I was there round about '71 and know it was Big Orange country. Everybody, and I mean just about everybody would be wearing an orange jacket.
(If you tried Orange you must'a tried Grape to).

Jeremiah - no, it's not me. I couldn't put salty peanuts into a sweet soda like that, orange or grade.

Thought I would put my 2 cents in about the peanuts and cola. I was 10 years old in 1950 and my best buddy's folks owned the restaurant in the very small town in southern Indiana where I grew up. We would separate the various brands of soft drink bottles so they would be ready for the delivery truck. We were then rewarded with an RC and either Toms or Planters peanuts (they had both). We would vary our choice from one to the other and with either RC, Pepsi or Double Cola. I think RC was our favorite, probably because of the pyramids on the bottle and the associated joke about the camel. I can post the joke if anyone is interested. I still enjoy cola and peanuts, probably always will as long as I have teeth.

William: Thanks for dropping by. If/When you lose your teeth, you can always try the peanuts boiled --they're pretty mushy.
(I find the "bald" peanuts taste better if left to dry out a bit; fresh out of the pot, they seem awfully slippery and slimey to me; but I'm still developing a taste for them.)

Wayne: I would love to try some of your grandfather's boiled peanuts.

Larry: My wife said the same thing about the folks in Ohio ("they thought I had an accent . . ., they were the ones that had an accent")
smile.gif

Back on topic: I've still got a week's worth of Pepsi & Lance on hand, I'm going to see if I can find some Planters to go with the Coke.

Harry
How many years back are you thinking? I can remember going to the (drug store)and opening the coke cooler (first one with water and ice) and then later the modern one with water cooled by refrigeration. I may be wrong, but I don't think they even had pepsi back then! The thing to drink was a coke (in glass bottle) (5 cents) and peanuts dropped inside the bottle. Peanuts from the 1 cent machine with the skins on! My school buddy always had to have a chocolate soldier!
Bet you guys never heard of them.

Dean from the old school

Dean - well I'm thinking my 5cent Coke in a 6oz bottle was sometime in the late 50's possibly early 60's. Yours sounds as tho it might be earlier BUT matches my first experience (5cent Coke and 1cent peanuts with skins). I had mentioned there was only one place in my home town you could get the 5cent Cokes - all the others had gone to a dime.

Wayne, I love cola and peanuts, but in the same bottle,? not...I know I shouldnt condemn it since I havent' tried it..that is yet to be seen but I kow you guys have have a strange pallete at times, and I'm thinking it's best to stay three steps behind you all when you belly up to the table for cola/peanuts, or another odd combo you all come up with.

Oh marlin puts potato chips on sandwhichs. I thougth that was ood too and haven't tried that either. he LOVES it. lol.

I'm still out on drinking salty cola.. hahaha

cathleen

I was recently given a canister of Ms. Irma Harding peanuts. I always thought peanuts were peanuts but these peanuts are exceptional. As soon as I started eating them I thought what a treat they'd be in a Pepsi so I tried it.

I strongly advise trying these peanuts in the cola/beverage of your choice. The peanuts are crisp and salted to perfection (I'm pluugin' for you Charlie). Charlie sells them in CC Specialties and he included a can in my last order (and no...it wasn't even hinted that I say these things). There is even a little card included stating that these peanuts were gathered from the top ten percent of the crop and I believe it.

They may seem a little pricey but I think they are worth every penny. I guarantee you'll see a big difference from Tom's, Lance, or any other peanuts. There's no comparison.

Thanks again Charlie!

Wayne - you mentioned these peanuts were gathered from the top 10% of the crop. Does that happen to make them the "extra large" size? I've had some of those big'uns before, and they sure are good.

Wayne is right. Those "I"rma "H"arding peanuts are VERY VERY good.
Now if they were "J"anet "D"avidson peanuts they would taste like dog piles.

The first time I tried redskin peanuts & Coke was in 1958 when I was around 12 or 13 in my hometown in Kansas. I was hooked! Thereafter, it was our afternoon snack.

After Christmas sales had the IH peanuts priced at $2.99 per can at Tractor Supply stores in eastern PA.

Norm - 1958 huh. I'm thinking it was around 1961 or '62 for me and I'd be 10 or 11. I suppose starting at such a young age is also why nothing but Coke goes with my peanuts.

Wayne - dang it, you can't even get one of those 10oz cans around here for $2.99. Ever since that peanut butter recall couple years ago anything with peanuts has gone sky high.

Now I like to roast my own peanuts with butter in the microwave and put them in a coke. Come to think of it, I'll have some now!

I like to cook my peanuts for 1/2 hour in salty water with a touch of cayene pepper, then roast them in a pan over a open campfire at the cabin. In cola or with beer they are delicious.

Back