• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mounting Dave Kirk Dual Coil on 682 - Anybody Done It?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmolaski

displayname
james molaski
Greetings! Brand new owner of a nice 682 with the series II Kohler engine. Just found this forum while researching and this is my first post. I am having some spark issues - so I ordered a new dual supercoil from dave kirk. I also ordered new plug wires, the pointsaver module, and his ball-bearing steering mod. My question is: has anybody else installed this coil? I don't see any obvious spot to mount it on. Maybe I am missing something, or I need to fab a new mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated - the grass is not waiting for me to get this running! Thanks!

James}

I ended up doing just that. He informed me that a new mount would need to fabbed. So, I will get to work on that. The grass will run free for another day or two!

I was thinking of getting that kit for mine. It looks like it could be mounted on the forward side of the firewall in front of the fuel tank. Let us know how it works/performs.

I ended up using a piece of 1" sq. tubing the same length as the coil. Bolted the coil to the tubing on one end - and drilled all the way through on the other and ran the bolt through both the coil and the tubing into the original hole in the intake. Works alright - it really needs a tab on the outside end to use the other mounting hole for the original bracket. I'm working on something just a bit different and more secure.

One problem I ran into - the plug wires from Dave Kirk are too short to reach the far (right side) spark plug. They will reach - but just barely and are tight. Just an FYI.

James,

The length of the plug wires is relative to the coil mounting location, please don't fault Dave K. on that account. He tests everything he offers for sale quite extensively.

Not rippin' on you, just saying....
whistling.gif

Glad the project is working well, and that may be the best solution for the dual feed coil used by Kohler on the KT's.

Didn't take it as ripping at all. In fact, I should have worded that post differently. I in now way intended to imply that it was Dave or his products at fault. It was my selection of location that caused the wire to be too short. I was trying to describe the issues that I was having with fabbing a mount and mounting the coil. Dave's products appear to be TOP NOTCH! When cold, the engine will turn over maybe 3 or 4 times and then fire right up. When it's warm, it might spin ONCE!

James, Good to hear
thumbsup_old.gif

Thanks for keeping us informed, sounds like it good solution.

Latest posts

Back