• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mikes Very Own 169 Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
So let's see if this is any better...
Harry asked for some pics showing the new fan, and some other blokes asked for pics showing my "workspace". Hope this will satisfy ya'll. I started to re-assemble and wanted to paint parts as they went on, but the fenderpan is badly rusted. With holes rotted through, and heavy pitting. I haven't decided a direction on that piece, so I'll use it for now, as is.

308584.jpg

308585.jpg

308586.jpg

Mike - geez, I didn't know you were hiding so much stuff in your shop.

Now, about the 169 and the BRAND NEW Hydro Fan - you've got it positioned way way to far forward. I don't have my Service Manual handy to identify the exact location but I'm certain it should only be about an inch or so in front of the rag joint. The hydraulic lift is just going to tear it up in the current position.

Hey Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - thanks for posting that snapshot out of the Service Manual. I knew my memory wasn't to far off. I said about an inch and the manuals shows 1-1/8"

Mike - just wanted to make sure you saw that the manual actually does show where you make the 1-1/8" measurement. It's a little hard to see in the pic of the pump but it's there.

Got a rockshaft arm so I can complete the Hydraulic lift setup (Thanks Don Vogt! and to all who offered tips on finding one)

I do have a 169 manual but in our move last year, I'll be darned if I can find it now..
angry.gif

Mike - you can of course download a copy of the Manual from the Manuals section on here. It's a really big file and takes a long time. It's a combined version that includes the Quite Line series. I wish it was a separate version and only had the 1x8/9 series. Wonder if anyone out there has an original copy of just the 1x8/9 series Service Manual. Still seemed odd to me that IH would combine the 2 series into 1 manual.

Been awhile since I've done anything with the 169. Still need to get it up and running but I need to finish the front and the PTO. Just ordered a rebuilt unit from CCS and last night did a little work on the wiring.

I am thinking of using a rear box that I have and using a regular car battery, it'll add weight and really up the CCA's and hopefully starting rpms.

Harry, I see you found that manual you had recently referenced. Good for you!

Mike - dang I'm glad to see you're back at the 169. I was really beginning to wonder. What PTO did you get? The blade/brake version original to the 169 or did you go back to the older style?

Not quite sure what you're doing with your battery box. You can get pretty high CCA in the small tractor batteries now. I think I've seen them in the 500+ range which really surprised me, and prices are about the same as a car battery so I don't know what advantage you might gain.

By the way, the engine is out of my 169 and tore apart, balance gears removed and David Kirk balance plate added to the crank, exhaust output pipe corrected and ready for an OEM NOS muffler (which would you believe my son got for me). Now, just have to get things back together.

Keep letting us know where you're at and what you're doing.

Hi'Ya Frank.. I agree with you, Harry should know better than to tell us all the details without pictures.. Heck, that's just plain evil!
lazerburn.gif

I stayed with the original brake style. And the battery deal is I have an original oem cub cadet box that mounts on the rear axle and not doing anything, so I figured I could place a large battery in the box and power the cub with it. Someone on here has a battery in the back so it's not an original idea..
construction.gif

Geez, you guys are tough. This ain't my thread - it's titled "Mike's Very Own 169 Refurbish". Wouldn't seem right for me to post pics.

NOW - how bout Mike posting pics of that battery box he's talking about using. Since it's original IH I assume it must be the commonly called rear weight box.

Well Ok, here's a couple pics of my K341A with the balance gears removed and David Kirk's balance plate installed. For some reason most of my pics came out blurry and it's to late to re-take any.
311173.jpg

311174.jpg

Latest posts

Back