• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mikes Very Own 169 Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That block is surely lucky to have survived that catastrophe! When a Tecumseh HMSK-100 rod lets go, it puts a hole in the side of the block a large man's fist can easily fit through..

That block is surely lucky to have survived that catastrophe! When a Tecumseh HMSK-100 rod lets go, it puts a hole in the side of the block a large man's fist can easily fit through..

I've seen a lot of K's with a new window in the side! I think Dave Kirk was onto something when we were talking about the weights of these replacement pasts. I don't remember the numbers ( I've slept between these dates) but the wrist pin was very heavy compared to the original and I think the conn rod was also. So this just added to the vibration and the stresses and I think was the reason it just tore itself apart. This motor had less than 10 hours on it! SO, once again, cheap isn't cheap in the end.. is it? I'm not sure what's next for it.. I want to remove the crank and see if it can be salvaged, so I'm hopeful to get to that today.

I have a 169 I bought 12 years ago and it is my main mowing tractor.. I removed the balance gears after I bought it..When the gears were in it vibrated far worse than my 10hp. 102... I mow about 1 hr. a week with it in the summer at WOT and it is very smooth after removing the gears.... It is smoother now than my 10hp. Just because those balance gears are in there does not mean they are doing their job.. How do you time balance gears?.. Is there even a way?..

Yes, a very specific way that takes up close to 8 pages in the FSM.
You do not want to go there unless you have to.

Davids balance plate works very well and I am satisfied with the one in my 1650 tiller rig.
This spring will be it's 3rd season since overhaul.

Maybe we could convince David K. To make a balance plate for the aftermarket parts currently available. I would bet they were built for the factory Kohler parts, and if these weights do not match Kohler weights, all bets are off-or shaky at least.

i know it would be more work for him, but he loves this balancing stuff...hehheh.

What's the chance that you could tie up somehow with Kenny Weimann over in Trumbull, CT???? He's been thru alot of these engines now.

Harry, do you have any contact info for Kenny? I've got a phone number but it doesn't work (disconnected) and I located him on Facebook but sent 2 messages with no reply back to me. I would like to talk with him - If we can connect..

So, things have changed.. after 32 years with the same employer, they've decided that I don't "fit" with their restructured model.. SO friday I got the axe.. this means the 169 won't get finished by me. I'll post it up in the for sale section and see if there's any interest. Thanks for all the help along the way.

I’m very sorry to hear that Mike.

Mike, so sorry to hear! Hopefully a better employment opportunity will soon be coming your way.

I operated and maintained water and waste water plants..

I was just in a hotel in Little Rock with a convention/meeting of (AR only, I think) water and waste water personnel. Good luck to you.

Mike - gol darn it. Sorry to hear (see) this news. Hopefully you can land something similar and even better, real soon. (Can I suggest keeping the 169 for a little while?)

Back