• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Magnum 18 issues....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkruger

displayname
Bill Kruger
I have an Magnum 18 in a 1806 that is blowing oil but is not smoking at all. The engine runs very well and starts up right away. It has less than 700 hours by the gauge and the original owner claims it to be the correct hours. I have done a compression test and I have one cylinder at 75psi and the other at 80psi and no sign of oil residue on either plug and they have been in the engine for a little while. The plugs show signs of being a little lean but again not even a hint of oil. I am some what new to this and have been told that good cylinder pressure should be at around 100psi + or - and have also been told that it should be around 80psi + or -. I haven't changed the crankcase filter yet but plan on doing so. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Bill:

According to the Service Manual, minimum compression is 90 PSI. For further cylinder checks, click on this link and scroll to pages 4.3 & 4.4... M-18

When the magnets in a M18 flywheel go south, does the flywheel become scrap?
185919.jpg
dunno.gif

Darn these new machines!
biggrin.gif

yes as far as I know the flywheel is junk. The magnets are bonded or glued and if I'm not mistaken the magnets are north & south and need to be in the proper place to work

Thank you, Rick. Don T. has told me that this is a weak spot on the M18-and a new flywheel lists for $300+. I think that's why this otherwise good engine is passing through here.
Hey, you might not say much, so when you do I guess it's worth listening to.
smile.gif

I've heard of that problem quite a few times. Couldn't a template be made using a good flywheel to locate where the magnates need to go ? Seems to me that could be a well used service
dunno.gif

Hey, Brendan, have I got a flywheel for you to experiment with!
Now, don't laugh. O.K. I am. It just dawned on me that that pile of magnet parts started out as 2 seperate pieces, not 1 completely circular magnet. That's why they'd have to be properly "timed" inside the flywheel.
1a_scratchhead.gif

lol...It sucks they come apart like that.

The "timing" part is why I thought a template would work well, the new magnets...if ya can get some...would only go in the correct spots and glue them back in.

Latest posts

Back