• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Location information embedded in pictures

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Almost all digital cameras embed EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) data in the picture..Many new cameras and smart phones (for example Iphones) also are optionally embedding GPS information as part of the EXIF data.. At least one browser supports displaying the EXIF data and a there is simple add-on for another. (right click on the picture and there's everything, including GPS info, if included).

On another forum today, a member posted some pictures ...another member, trying to prove something, took the GPS info from the EXIF data, plugged it into Google maps and posted the OP's home location back to the thread (it got Modded out shortly).

I'm not even remotely suggesting that any Forum member here would play that trick, but IF you're posting pics here, check what data your camera is embedding in its pictures. Remember the times you've posted travel plans and who all has access here. If your camera/phone is putting more information in than you want, either shut geotagging off, or find a program that will strip EXIF data from the pics..

Here's an example from the last couple of days, posted here on the Forum...

229985.jpg

And last, but not least, an easy way to strip EXIF metadata from .jpgs that you're going to post...

Thieves don't have to work as hard now to find out what you have or where it's at !

229988.gif

I found this Program to view and edit the info.

Let's Here it for Gerry for Bringing This to Our Attention !

worthy.gif
wave.gif
thumbsup.gif

Use Gerry's Program for deleting the info , that was fast and easy !

Ken/Gerry-

I'm thinking this is probably mostly limited to smartphone cameras as opposed to 'real' cameras...I just checked pictures from the camera I had from 2008 to this spring (Kodak 1012Z) and also my current camera (Canon 60D) and neither one is capable of recording GPS data. I would think this would be the case with most 'real' cameras. GPS-equipped smartphones (iPhone, Droid, etc) probably do this by default.

Fox News had something on GPS tracking by "smart phones" earlier this year.
People were not happy to find out that they could be tracked by the phone companies and "Big Brother" !

Now this throws a whole new wrench into the works looks like.

You'll see pics of peoples automobiles on the net and they'll blur out their license plate numbers but with this they can still have a "punk" on their door step.

Matt:
Lots of new point and shoots have GPS built in and a lot of people are abandoning any type of dedicated camera as Smartphone imaging improves. It took me all of two minutes to find pics tagged here on the forum. BTW - Firefox has an addon (FxIF) thats really easy to use - hover over the pic and right click on it... Check Amazon for "gps cameras".. None of my cameras have it (Sony Alpha, older Kodak that was Sandy's, Sony CDR-300)

After some investigating this morning, I have determined that the only forum out of the five I belong to (for things other than Cub Cadets, as well) that does not 'break' the EXIF info is this one. All others appear to erase that data from uploaded pictures.

It also appears that both Facebook and Google+ also remove the EXIF info from uploaded photos. I downloaded, at random, a couple pictures from friends on each who I know have smartphones, and there was no EXIF info in any of those pictures.

But not all venues are.....and the one that the problem came up on yesterday has over 200,000 registered users. Are you suggesting that it's not a problem? The point was to make people aware of the potential issue on the forums they belong to.....

In no way was I suggesting it isn't a problem, I was just stating the fact that it is not a problem everywhere. I was surprised to see Facebook had done something about it after the news stories about this awhile back.

Sorry, Matt - I read it the wrong way.. (bad day, I guess)

Gerry - Turn on ESPN and watch The Nationals and take a load off your thoughts.

With all the potential harm that can come from the EXIF data I don't see how the companies can get away with it.

Latest posts

Back