• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Loader bucket repairs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcurrin

displayname
Dudley B Currin Jr
kentuck,
This is right up your alley.
I have a MF400 Crawler Loader w/ Drott 4n1.
I need to repair the corners as they are severely worn. leading edge back about 2 inches completely gone, and tapered back about another 4 inches.

This is a bent corner. Not fabbed. Balance of edge in good shape. ( I will not wear it out in my lifetime.) Nearest tooth ~6".

What is the best method to "build up/ scab something on????

While we are at it what about hard facing rod recommendations. I have a DC only engine driven welder.

Big Thanks
Dudley

Dudley - Not being able to see it I can't say what to do , all I can do is make some suggestions.

You could build it up with 7018 or 8018 rods then hardface it or start with building it up by using T1 steel welded on to the edge. I don't think you'd need to do any hardfacing on the T1 unless you wanted to beef it up a little.

You didn't say if the wear is on the hard cutting steel or the base steel. If you're welding onto a hard cutting edge then it needs to be pre-heated before welding.

As for what HF rod to buy ... man I've not bought any of those in 28 years ! Only thing I ever hard to hardface was the bits on our PTO post hole digger. They out lasted the digger ;)

Can you take a pic of the beast ??

kentuck,
thanks for the reply
I just put it away after repairing the dozer edge on the 4n1 and turning the cutting edges.
I will get a pictuure or two tomorrow a wee dark now.
At least I can use it again.
bubbly.gif

Busted a corner bit off. Should have repaired things before that.. doh (homer)
Dudley

Dudley - I've got 7 new JD teeth if they're big enough for your bucket.

Back when I was in school ('76-'77) learning how to become an all around welder instead of just using the 225 buzz box on the farm a guy brought in a bucket and wanted 2 8" cutting edges welded on. One to the bucket and the other to the first one so he could increase the capicity by 16" !!!

I wasn't thrilled at doing it because I was sure it'd snap off but I fired up 2 big Lincoln Ideal Arcs and had at it. I don't remember how many pounds of 7018s it took but I welded with 2 machines at the same time , one in each hand. I had the welding instructor putting the new rods in the holders so I wouldn't have to stop. It took 5 days to
70892.gif

I've had to rebuild 4-n-1s before and regular buckets and track hoe buckets. Everything from new bushings to having to take a 24" track hoe bucket and "put the curl" back in it and build it up. One old feller here (dead now) use to be hard on his equipment. He had his 24" bucket in some big rock and ripped the bucket sides in two like paper and straightened the bottom curl of the bucket out flat. That was a bear to pull back into shape but I've got a good size cylinder / pump / 3/4hp 1/2" drill ;) That was before the 110v hydraulic unit that I've got now.

Hey I'm not doing anything tomorrow ... just bring it by !

Dudley - I'd just start running stringer beads building back what's wore off. The cutting edge between the teeth will probably out last us both if you just build it back with weld then you could hard face it if you think it needs it.
I don't know how big of welder you have but 5/32 rods will build it up pretty quick. If your welder has the guts to do it I'd go with 8018 or even 10018.

That's not wore bad at all compared to the hoe buckets I've done ... you barely got the paint wore off compared to what that one guy use to bring in here.

If you don't have a sandblaster to clean it up then get some 4" twisted cup brushes and a heavy duty angler grinder and a good face shield! and knock off all the dirt that you can.

Fourth pic down - weld horizontal around the corner like it's pictured. I'd build up the inside of the corner too and feather out the weld as it goes in the bucket just to keep some dirt from hanging.

Third pic down - if you want to put it back "right" I'd gouge off the corner wear plate and put in a new piece of T1. Otherwise it can be built up with weld if your good and not pressed for time.

It's easier for me to "do" the work than to "tell" how to do it.

Huh that's a 3-n-1 bucket ... I got to thinking about that around 2am laying in bed not able to go to sleep.

Latest posts

Back