• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH 1950 M problems....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmunch

displayname
Mary Munch
I have a 1950 M that is not running correctly. When I purchased the tractor it was running OK. I cleaned the sediment bowl and found that it was partially plugged coming from the tank. It ran fairly good after that and we were able to disk about 3/4 of an acre a couple times over. We than attempted to plow with it and the problems started. It would stutter and smoke and die when we attempted to make it "work". Upon inspection the spark plug wires were "used", the distributor cap was shot, points were ok. We replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, condenser. It also has a new battery with a good charge. The timing was also checked and seemed to be ok, and changing it didn't seem to change anything. We were told that it could be gas related. So we pulled the carb, cleaned it with electrolysis, used heavy duty carb dip to clean all needles and jets. Everything was put back together according to the book as far as I can tell and it still will not run correctly! Attempted to adjust it while it was idling and it seemed to run good. When it was put in gear and driven across the yard, it seemed to have a hard time pulling itself forward. Does anybody have any suggestions??? Also what is a good place to start with the needles as far as adjustment? Any help or suggestions would be very helpful!

I would do a compression test to see if the engine is getting tired. And if that’s fine check and make sure the governor is pulling in or if it has worn linkage.

Just a thought here. When you said "gas related" do you mean that you you put fresh gas in the tank after you were finished discing and before you started to plow? If the tractor was running fine before the new gas was put in then it could be bad gasoline or have water in it. If the the tractor ran fine when you bought it and did so while discing then I'd definitely be trying some different gasoline. You're just way too danged far away for a Road Trip to help you out.

Marlin H.
M's and H's are not like Cubs.
They will burn the nastiest gas you can imagine and run just fine.

Same with most big IH tractors that I've been around over the years.

It was always a practice of my grandpa to take stale gas from the combine and put it in the H and Super M every year, just cause it didn't want to waste it, LOL

Marlin- All the gas that we have put through the tractor has been new gas. When we bought the tractor it was mostly empty...
William- what would be ideal compression for the engine? I was thinking about that last night so that may be a project for today.

Another question that I have. After we put the 1st 5 gallons of gas through we put some marvel mystery oil engine tune up in. Could this have messed with something? Thanks

Mary, How does it run? When you say it has a hard time pulling itself across the yard what does it sound like?
Have you looked at the sediment bowl lately? just curious.

Dave- When it was running last night it would run ok as long as there was no load on the engine. When I drove it across the yard, pulling nothing, it sputtered, seemed to miss, and would almost die until I pushed the clutch in and let it sit for a couple seconds. Than it would go a couple more feet and repeat. It was worse if I put it into any gear but 1st. When it sputters it sometimes seems to be not getting enough fuel, but than at other times it smokes a little darker like its loading up with to much fuel. Sediment bowl looks good. Doesn't appear to be any chunks or water in it.

Mary, when it does this sputtering thing have you tried to feather out the choke to see if that makes a difference?
Quite a few years ago I did a carb rebuild on an H and the points at the same time. I chased ghosts for a week. I was convinced it was fuel but nothing I did made a difference. Turned out to be point timeing. It was kinda running the way you describe.
Does that carb have a drain in the bottom of the float bowl? Looks like a pipe plug, try taking that out and let it run for a bit to make sure you have a good supply. If you do and your sure you set the float right try playing with the "load" valve { bottom of the carb, comes out at an angle}. If that load valve won't make a difference in how it runs it may not be fuel related. If it is electrical there is a specific proceedure on setting the points

I highly doubt it has anything to do with gas. All that usually happens to my farmall’s if it has bad gas or gummed up carb is that it wants to run on choke. And Mary I don’t really know what it should be at but if it’s around 100 psi you should be good. But like I said earlier check the governor linkage for it being loose or it might be stiff which will do the same thing. My super c had the same problem you are having and that’s what it was the governor linkage was stiff so I wouldn’t let it pull in.

I forgot to mention that when you attempt to throttle up quickly it sputters very badly. Also, when adjusting the carb it doesn't seem to matter what you do with the needles but nothing seems to change.

New developments... checked the compression and it had about 110 in all four cylinders. But looking at the spark plugs, it appears that it is running rich, spark plugs are black, but cylinders 2 and 3 are blacker and more gummy than the others. I opened the governor and adjusted it according to the manual. It did not seem to make a difference. Could it be something with the distributor?

OK! So, it seems that distributors do not appreciate being damp,oily and slimy inside! Took everything apart on the distributor and clean and dried everything. It now runs pretty well and on ALL cylinders! Was able to chisel plow my 3/4 of an acre with no problems!!! It still probably could be tuned a little more but I think (knock on wood) that the problem was found. Now to figure out how it got wet,oily and slimy to begin with....

William- at this point it doesn't have hydraulics. My dad has a lever lift 8ft chisel plow.

Mary M. This may help for future references with adjusting your carburetor FARMALL M Carburetor Adjustment.
happy.gif

As far as the damp, oily and slimy distributor. That sometimes happens when the tractors sits for awhile and the internal components age. First tractor I drove was a 1946 FARMALL H and the second a 1949 FARMALL M. It has been too many years since I've been around them to remember all the little fun things about their personalities.

Latest posts

Back